Cano Negro Wildlife Refuge

molly23

We will be staying at the Springs Resort in Arenal for a couple of days,

then going to Manuel Antonio.

We will not have a car. We are on a land tour.

I read that Cano Negro was a good tour to take from Arenal.

I just would like to know if it is worth the travel time.

Thank you,

Rita:)

I am jealous! The Springs is on my list of places I want to try. I hear it is incredible and I drooled as I drove by so if you see spot in the road... Are you visiting any of the major spring resorts/attractions in the area? Each (Eco Termales, Baldi & Tabacan) have very different personalities.

As for Caño Negro, I have never been and I have never had anyone recommend it. I know it's right along the Nicaraguan border. You'd drive through pineapple country and maybe some cattle ranches. Not exactly what I'd call the best of Costa Rican scenery but it is interesting to see. On the plus side, I have not been disappointed by any of the parks I have visited.

I love Manuel Antonio, especially during the week. It gets a bit crowded for my liking on peak weekends. We stay at a tiny place that borders the park so I can go exploring at night. It's (Manuel Antonion & Quepos) a fun place that's easy to get around. The bus makes it easy to get up down the coast for lunch, dinner & shopping. Just make sure you know when it stops running or you'll find yourself hailing a local cab to get back home.

Be careful with your belongings on the beach. Because it's a big tourist area and petty theft does occur. Cameras & money you think of, but little things like T shirts and flip flops also tend to disappear if left on the beach when you go swimming or leave them unattended. Violent crime is unheard of so you don't need to fear for your safety. The petty beach theft is almost comical because you often find one person walking back from the beach in bare feet or shirtless. It has become a running joke.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to Arenal before going on a Wind Star cruise next march. I am going on the Cano Negro. I did a lot of research on this and I did not find any really negative, all the reviews said how good it was. The pictures I also found of the wild life looked wonderful. The best place for reviews is on tripadvisor.

Archived