Golf Course on the Big Island

NAHA

My DH and I will be cruising to Hawaii on Serenade of the Seas in September. We will be spending 3 days in Honolulu after the cruise and would like to play golf. There are so many courses to choose from, can anyone share a favorite and why?

My DH has been playing for years and I am a new golfer.

Thank you!

My DH and I will be cruising to Hawaii on Serenade of the Seas in September. We will be spending 3 days in Honolulu after the cruise and would like to play golf. There are so many courses to choose from, can anyone share a favorite and why? !

Your title says Big Island and you text says Honolulu which is Oahu so I want to get your question before I answer. You probably mean Oahu, correct?

We are living here and I can give some solid advice when I ask DH. I have only played on military courses. You can play at the public course near downtown called Ala Wai but its the most crowded (busy) courses in Hawaii. If you have no car and have to taxi somewhere, Ala Wai would be your choice. If you plan on renting a car, go over to Ko Olina or Turtle Bay. This web site gives some advice based on levels:

http://www.hawaii-realty.com/oahu-golf-courses.htm

or

http://www.hawaiigolfguide.com/

I can add more when DH is home.

I confered with DH....he agrees about Ko Olina...it was the first he said.

He adds that Coral Creek is a nice course for fewer dollars....a bargain.

Turtle Bay is expensive....more prestigious.

Ko'olau is one of the most beautiful....near the pali lookout.

Royal Kunia 'looks nice' but he hasnt actually played it yet....touted as one of the best.

Those were off the top of his head. He said to avoid Ala Wai just because of the crowds!

SueBee -I can't believe how I messed this up! :eek:

I will be precise this time - we are staying on Waikiki Beach for three days after our cruise and would like some info on a golf course there.

I mixed up Oahu and Hawaii -- so so sorry. I believe the courses you gave me are the ones I need.

Again, so sorry for the mistake.

Should we call before we leave for tee times? Or can we call just a couple of days ahead when we get there?

Mary

HA HA....OK, we're clear now.

Oahu is where Honolulu/Waikiki is.

Hawaii is also known as "The Big Island" and is where the volcano is.

Hawaii is also the state name which is very confusing for the tourists!

Anyway, yes you have the right courses. You might be able to check out websites and get tee times.....I think it would depend on when you plan on golfing (weekend, weekday, late day etc) as to how busy they will be and how easy it will be to get tee times. Just email ahead and ask....cant hurt!

Suebee - thank you for your help. I went to the websites- Ko Olina looks very nice. I have printed it and will bring it home to my husband to check it out. I also printed the others you mentioned.

Mary

Archived