where to stay with kids in Vancouver? Advice please...

myssi_pooh

Hi! Very excited to be cruising from Vancouver to Alaska on Infinity the end of June. We're staying in Vancouver an additional 3 nights. With five kids, ages 4 to 14, we were hoping some more experienced cruise critic types might be able to offer some advice about where to stay? In Vancouver or we've considered Whistler as well.

All comments and suggestions would be appreciated!

missy

I really have no idea, I don't go to Canada, Danno has a restraining order on me! I'm sure someone nice can help you!

This ship 10/91

That ship 11/95

Whatever ship 12/98

here a ship 13/99

there a ship 14/00

everywhere

a

ship ship 15/05

<font size="3" color=red>Over 1 year</font> into my LMBO cruise

Downtown Vancouver is a good central location. I would use Priceline (as I have the three times I have stayed there) and get two rooms for the price of one. Very nice hotels -- the Westin and Renaissance for example.

Whistler is a great, great place if you want to do that instead. But if you haven't visited Vancouver, I would concentrate on it.

~~Celebrity Infinity 02/2005~~; NCL Sun 02/2003; Celebrity Millennium 05/2002; Ocean Princess 10/2001; Ocean Princess 8/2001; NCL Sea 7/2000; Ocean Princess 3/2000; Celebrity Mercury 10/1998; Star Princess 3/1996; NCL Dream 8/1995; Azure Seas 2/1991

depends on your budget. we haven't tried Priceline for Vancouver yet ... but long ago before we knew it existed icon_smile.gif we stayed in the Fairmont Vancouver and the 4 Seasons Vancouver, both VERY nice (with pools!) ... We also stayed in the Listel Vancouver, a bit further off the beaten track but also nice (that was a discount rate but I can't remember the Web site) ... we have a son, now 8, so can vouch for the child-comfiness of all of the above. Have a great time on Infinity -- we cruised her to Alaska last summer!

TR

If you need any help or have questions about Priceline for Vancouver, please feel free to email me.

Again, I DO LOVE Whistler but have not visited it in the summer.

~~Celebrity Infinity 02/2005~~; NCL Sun 02/2003; Celebrity Millennium 05/2002; Ocean Princess 10/2001; Ocean Princess 8/2001; NCL Sea 7/2000; Ocean Princess 3/2000; Celebrity Mercury 10/1998; Star Princess 3/1996; NCL Dream 8/1995; Azure Seas 2/1991

Here's an excerpt from a review I wrote about our family's visit in July 2002:

"We are enjoying some pre-Alaskan cruise days in Vancouver and Victoria, B.C. The weather is awesome up here right now, the exchange rate is terrific for US visitors, and the people couldn't be more friendly. Here are a few hot tips about visiting these cities:

1. The Fairmont Waterfront Hotel (www.fairmont.com) is a lovely, well-managed property across the street from Canada Place--perfect for cruisers who embark/disembark from this terminal and for watching the cruise ships and other seagoing vessels, seaplanes

and helicopters that keep Burrard Inlet hopping. Better yet, this hotel is one of many participating in summer promotions (sadly,

tourism is "off" in BC this summer), and we got a terrific deal as advertised on www.tourismvancouver.com under the family lodging packages section: harbourview suite, aquarium admission (2 adults, 2 children = $27.50 USD value), and trolley tickets ($50 USD value)for the rough equivalent of $160 USD per night including all taxes. It is tough to find a true harbourview room for that price,

much less a suite at a first class property. When we arrived in our room, the aquarium and trolley tickets were arranged on a tray

bearing an assortment of tea cart cookies, truffles and baked goods plus two stuffed animal beluga whales (sold at the aquarium

for $6.99 CAD each)! The kids enjoyed the heated outdoor pool overlooking the harbour, and the hotel offered complimentary bikes. This is a great deal for families and couples alike.

2. The aquarium features marine mammal trainer tours--go behind the scenes, prepare the food and feed the animals. We chose a sea

lion tour--learned a lot and had a ball! The charge for adults is $20 CAD and for children is $15 CAD. A pregnant beluga named Aurora is expected to give birth to her second calf sometime this July, and the aquarium just participated in the much-publicized

rehabilitation and return of Springer, an orphaned orca whale, to her home waters. The research arm of this aquarium is impressive.

3. If you've done the Capilano Suspension bridge on past visits, try the Lynn Canyon bridge and easy hiking trails, also in North

Vancouver. Free, in a beautiful setting. This local family's webpage is an amazing, creative resource for learning some "insider's tips" for exploring Vancouver and turned me on to

the Lynn Canyon adventure: www.familyfun.com

4. Another locals' favorite is Deep Cove, also in North Vancouver. We rented kayaks and canoes here ($28 CAD per boat/2

hour minimum rental), and when we returned around 8 p.m., there was a free live concert on the hill overlooking this scenic cove.

Shops and restaurants line the few streets surrounding the cove--fun for non-boaters."

Have a great trip!

next up: Celeb Millie - Med - 6/04, then a Nile cruise

RCI Mariner – E Carib – Holidays 03

RCI Serenade – Transatlantic – Maiden 08/04/03

Star Princess – Mex Riviera – Holidays 02

Dawn Princess – Alaska – July 02

NCL Star – Hawaii – June 02

RCI Rhapsody – W Carib – Holidays 01 (back2back)

RCI Explorer – E Carib – Holidays 00

NCL Sea – W Carib – Holidays 99

Try staying at a Westin Hotel - in Vancouver that would be The Bayshore. they have a wonderful gift registration package for their young guests which includes a plastic cup whihc is refillable with poop at all the hotels restaurants for the duration of the stay, cupons for free videos, special soap, puzzel/game book etc - they even offer babysitting while Mom & Dad enjoy dinner in the hotels main diningroom. Plus the hotel is right on the harbour and at the entracnce to Stanley park.

We are doing similar cruise on Summit with our family this summer ending in Vancouver. As mentioned, Fairmont and Four Seasons seem to be really nice. Westin Bayshore also was one of our top choices. I've heard some people who really like the Pan-Pacific, but the prices there were actually higher than the others when we checked. I'm nervous when traveling with our kids to use Priceline because we like to be sure we are getting connecting rooms. I don't know whether or not that's an issue for you. For this trip we decided on the Four Seasons. Nice hotel, good central location and they had a reasonable Family Package where the second room is half of the first room and will guarantee a connecting room. We made our reservations many months ago, so rates may be higher by now.

Also, if you check on these boards in the Ports of Call section under Vancouver, sometimes there are more discussions about hotels.

After you book with Priceline you just call the hotel and request connecting rooms. They will accomodate you just as they do any other booking. You can buy a lot of coloring books and videos for the difference in price.

Do Priceline for 2 rooms... we did it for last July w/kids and got Hyatt for $50 (I think). Check out biddingfortravel.com for priceline info as to what hotels folks have been getting. Vancouver's a great place to visit w/kids.

Carolyn

Last year the dollar was a little stronger against the Canadian dollar so it seems most of the 4 star bids this year have been going for $65 this year. If you bid $65 you should get them. Mine were $50 last year, but $65 is still a great price.

Hi Joan. We are going to be in Phoenix 25 Dec to Jan 1. Maybe we can get together. Do you have any travel plans that week?

Karen & Paul kmbix56@wmconnect.com

8_3_23.gif

http://community.webshots.com/album/124134511FOjEih

Galaxy B2B 10/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;16;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Mercury 03/04

Radiance 01/04

Summit 09/03, Infinity B2B Hawaii 03/03,Infinity 10/02,

Maasdam 07/02, Sun Princess 03/02,Maasdam 11/01,Statendam 07/01,Dolphin 1990?

Hi Karen and Paul,

I'm sure we'll be in town at that time. We couldn't miss the holidays with the kids and grandkids. They always come to our house. We'd love to see you if you have the time. Where are you staying?

Love, Joan

Archived