Beaches in Key West

GREG

Key West is not known for its beaches , but Smathers beach is nice and the small beach at Fort Zachary by Truman Annex ,this one is very close to the cruise ship dock. If you want a pool you can always slip into the Casa Marina Resort on Reynolds st. and relax by the pool, and there is a nice beach area there as well. Have fun! I used to live in Key West for my winters back in the late 70's and 80's( those were the days!)

Thanks

Is Smathers beach within walking distance of the cruise pier?

You say slip into Casa Marina Resort - do they allow cruise ship passengers? or do you 'sneek' in ?

Thanks

I can't recommend slipping in to the Casa Marina, but the property next door will usually welcome non guest if you tip the pool and/or beach attendant (I usually tip $5 per person)

Then, they will give you the appropriate towels (if you don't have the right towel, you are easily spotted and asked to leave from many resorts)

It is called the Reach Resort, and has a pool, beach, snack bar, and some watersports. They are located at the end of Simonton Street (the southern end of Simonton St that is)

As for "public beaches": I love Ft. Zachery Taylor. They charge a few bucks to get in, but this state park has a lovely shaded area, nice swimming, and even an historic fort that you can wander around.

Smathers Beach is pretty, although the water is a bit stagnant with the jetties that have been constructed to prevent beach errosion. I like to walk that beach, but if I'm going to swim, I'll go to Fort Zachery Taylor.

Here is where not to go: Higgs Beach, Simonton Beach, and Dog Beach - all have below average water quality and a host of unsavory characters.

The sun is intense this time of year. Wear a strong sunblock. You will tan no matter what the SPF.

All my best wishes!

Smathers is almost directly opposite from where the ships dock - on the other side of KW, about a 5-10 minute ride via a scooter or taxi. It is an open beach area, somewhat sandy that is very nice and usually clean (some seaweed at the water-edge), with moderate snorkeling..

Ft. Taylor beach is a...15-30 minute walk, depending upon your pace... they have chair rentals, a changing area and a little snack shop there with very reasonable prices. The beach is more of a crushed shell/sand composite, but soft enough that most people lay on their towels. The snorkeling is MUCH better at Ft. Taylor - there are 4-little cove areas at the beach, and each has its own little "environment"...facing the ocean, going from right to left: some spider-shrimp and small fish, colorful fish with large rock formations, a composite of both, and some large fish (tarpoons) schools - it was the cove on the left that I saw the barracuda... remember, this was a year ago...

Enjoy...have fun!!

• 2 weeks later...

It's a good walk to Fort Zach. From Duval Street and Southard Street, expect a 30 minute walk to the beach. Bicycles can be rented by the cruise ship docks and throughout town. Check with the jet ski rental if you want to rent a bike by the Hilton cruise ship dock. Also, taxis are allowed to enter the park, and so you can take one there if you'd like. Here is a Key West map to get your bearings.

Directions to Ft. Zachary Taylor State Park

Follow Southard Street into Truman Annex. At second stop sign, turn left. Follow curving roadway 200 yards to the guard shack at Ft. Zachary Taylor State Park. They charge a couple dollars per person to enter the park. From the entrance, you will still have a walk of 1/2 mile ahead of you to get to the beach and the fort.

There is a concession with cold beverages and snacks, as well as chair rentals. Bring a snorkel if you can and enjoy the marine life around the boulder barriers that sit just off the beach.

Have a great time!

Which beach would you recommend for a wedding in September?:confused:

Fort Zachary Taylor State Park is the way to go. For a small fee, you can have your wedding by the beach, and your guests will have a discounted admission to the park. I think the fee is around $50. The park closes at sunset, and would be a beautiful place for a wedding. Plus, it's convenient for Old Town access.

Call the park at 305-292-6713 for more info.

Congratulations! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Wow -- this is an awesome thread!

We're anticipating being there for one day in early December. We're beach & shopping kind of people and we ADORE the all-inclusive beach breaks some places offer. We're both thirtysomething, athletic and we have no kids.

Can you make any suggestions on things/places we might like?

If you'd prefer to email me: sgeniec@yahoo.com

Thanks so much!

SouthernMost or anyone else,

I tend to be high maintenance and will have a ton of stuff to carry so, is it possible to get a cab at the pier to go to Fort Zachory Taylor State Park? I guess the more important question is will I be able to call a cab to pick us up at the park to return us to the pier? One final question, is there shade at the beach or are umbrellas available to rent along with chairs?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Are there any good public beaches in Key West?

Thanks

The answer to your question is: not really

I've been to Key West a few times - not a good "beach" vacation in my opinion - I've been to better beach locales, I guess. Now, there are places to lay out, sun, kayak, snorkel and such - but as for just "beaching" in Key West, not really.

Fort Zachary Taylor State Park is your best bet. It was a little rocky when I was last there, but I was there after many storms. :)

WHATEVER you do on Key West, ENJOY IT! I LOVE Key West! Always have. Sometime in your life, rent a hot little red convertible and drive down route 1. WELL worth it.

I think the only good beach in KW is Ft. Zach, but if a pool would suffice, go to Monty's near the Half Shell Raw Bar and swim in the pool for free with service from Monty's for food & drinks. Nice pool with a waterfall. It's next to the Ferry Terminal.

Ft. Zachary Taylor is a great place to get married. I got married there 5 yrs. ago. The park is very scenic. The beach is pretty nice. Alittle rocky but gets deep enough to swim fast.I love Key West:)

Of the beaches in Key West, I prefer the Fort Zachory Taylor beach. We've always driven, so I cannot speak for the availability of taxis for a return trip. What I like is the large stand of Australian pines there that provide cooling shade and soft breezes for the area. The beach kind of a curves around. The view where there are fewer trees allows you to see cruise ships docked at Outer Mole Pier. The shady area has picnic tables and looks out at the ocean entrance to Key West.

In order to reach the park, you pass through the Truman Annex, a picturesque, though stylized area, of modern houses built in typical Key West architecture. The streets are tree-lined. The homes have white picket fences, tropical gardens and landscaping. No parking is allowed on the street. It is a "perfect" setting. Some would argue that it is too perfect.

Archived