Photographer Packing Guide - VIDEO -

Tips2Cruise

AWESOME!

I just found this section of the CC Boards dedicated to photography!

I'm a photographer myself and made a video of what I pack when I cruise. I had it posted to Youtube for some time but I figure people who read this section of the boards may benefit.

Take a look:

It's nice to see a different perspective on packing. Personally, I have tried dozens of methods; equipment and bags; and probably should create a video or two myself.

One thing I did notice though is the power strips you use. In order to minimize bulk, I have gone to these:

belkinusb.jpg

One is plenty for my needs. It provides 3 outlets and two USB ports for charging. Some cruise lines will confiscate the type you carry, but small ones like this will usually not be a problem.

I have also cut down on cable bulk. I like to carry these little things:

iecc7adapter.jpg

(C-7 Adapter)

iecc7cord.jpg

(shorty C7 cable)

I also have the C5 versions for my netbook. I carry a netbook rather than laptop, as it also is lighter. I use Ubuntu (a form of Linux) on the netbook, which provides plenty of processing speed.

Also, I have gone to 1ft versions of the various USB cables as well as iPod/iPhone connectors as they pack a lot easier. And if I find I will be needing a cable for different cameras (which is not that often), I can pack one of these:

jdikit.jpg

But thanks for your video - it is nice to see different perspectives on what everyone carries.

What do you use for a camera bag?

(that is the real question)

It's nice to see a different perspective on packing. Personally, I have tried dozens of methods; equipment and bags; and probably should create a video or two myself.

One thing I did notice though is the power strips you use. In order to minimize bulk, I have gone to these:

belkinusb.jpg

One is plenty for my needs. It provides 3 outlets and two USB ports for charging. Some cruise lines will confiscate the type you carry, but small ones like this will usually not be a problem.

I've started bringing this same Belkin because of its size and also because of the confiscation issue with the larger power strips, but so many chargers now are such "big blocks" that you can't fit two of them next to each other, which is a drawback to the 3-outlet Belkin. (A poster on another thread says he/she brings 6-inch extension cords to deal with that issue.... )

I've started bringing this same Belkin because of its size and also because of the confiscation issue with the larger power strips, but so many chargers now are such "big blocks" that you can't fit two of them next to each other, which is a drawback to the 3-outlet Belkin. (A poster on another thread says he/she brings 6-inch extension cords to deal with that issue.... )

The 1ft Outlet Savers are great for plugging several wall warts into the device pictured above. 5 for $10 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/1-Foot-Extension-Power-Cable-5-Pack/dp/B000CRFOMK/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

Dave

Hmmm...that adapter looks nice and slim. I go a different route for getting plenty of outlets to charge all my stuff - I book a suite rather than the standard room as it has a lot more outlets! ;)

Joking of course...though my upcoming November cruise I do have the wonderful Holland America SS cabin, which is wonderfully large and has two seperate desk areas so the ladies can have their makeup/hair desk, and the tech-heads (like me) can have an entire desk devoted to camera gear, netbooks, cables, wires, phone chargers, and other assorted junk.

I also bring a netbook, all my camera gear fits well into a large Kata R102 backpack that can fit both camera bodies and 12-14 lenses, tripod, netbook, and all the cables and chargers I need.

Oh, and don't forget the ziploc freezer bags - I always bring 3-4 of those along with me as they can fold up easily in a back pocket or small bag, and fit even a DSLR with a smaller lens, virtually any P&S or mirrorless camera, wallets, cellphones, etc in the event you are caught out in a rainshower.

And to supplement my netbook, I also like to bring a small Passport USB-driven harddrive...I feel more confident if I have to erase a memory card for more shooting room if I have two separate copies of all my photos - one set on the netbook, and another set on the portable harddrive for redundancy. I usually bring enough memory cards to support a 10-day cruise, but sometimes get a little photo-happy and fill even those - so when I back everything up to the netbook along the way, I also back it up again to the harddrive. I essentially have 3 copies of all photos, the harddrive can fit in the safe while the netbook sits out in the cabin, and if I need to erase a card for more room...I'm still secure.

Archived