Labadee, Hispaniola

Labadee is one of RCCI's private destinations. It's a wonderful beach day - very beautiful. They have snorkeling, parasailing, wave runners, banana boats, a water-play ground, chairs and hammocks to lay out on, a native crafts market, beach games, etc. They provide a BBQ with pretty good food on the beach. They have guys walking around selling drinks. Everything except the crafts market is run by RCCI.

We went to Labadee once, at it was one time too many! Decided to Kayak like we did at Coco Cay previously, but it was nothing like that excursion. First, we were not impressed with Labadee. We found it to lack sufficient beach areas and it appeared dirty. The Kayak excursion was not well run, and we had to stop at a little craft area in the Haiti part of the island. It was a planned part of the kayak experience that surprised all of us cruisers. If we are ever on a cruise that stops in Labadee, we will not be getting off the ship!

We've been to Labadee 4 times and love it. Beaches when we've visited have been pristine and there are several of them. Snorkelling is poor, and we've never been to the water park area where they have the floating iceberg, etc. for kids. There is a new water play/park that recently opened - great fun for the younger ones with cannons that shoot water etc. Two areas where lunch is provided (food is brought off the ship and served by RCCL staff), jet skis, etc. also available. Two or three bars to visit, in addition, servers will bring drinks to you on the beach.

Vendors are anxious to sell their wares in the market, but if you say you're just looking and keep moving on, they will leave you alone. There are many good quality wood carvings and paintings available at a reasonable cost.

Hair braiding also available. Also, at lunch time local performers will sing and dance for your entertainment.

No cost for lunch. Drinks will be charged to your seapass account. Take some cash if you'd like to buy anything in the market and also to tip the local workers who will carry your lounge chair to the beach area of your choice. Hair braiders accept cash, Visa & Mastercard.

A day in Labadee is a day in paradise. Enjoy!

My DW and I are not much into the beach scene, but really enjoyed Labadee. We found it very beautiful and relaxing...did a lot of walking around and spent time watching the entertainment. By going to many different beaches we found several different perspectives on the whole place. There is a tram to take you around and lots to do in and out of the water. Then, when you get back to Miami, you'll be ready to go to Tap Tap Restaurant (Haitian).

As you tender off the boat you will see a nice shallow beach which is great for toddlers. Islanders will set up your beach chairs for tips. (I gave them $1 per chair- but it saved me from dragging them) If you walk directly across to what I call the other side of the island (about a block) you will find a better beach to float in the lounge mats that you rent ($10@) I rented one for each of my 8 family members, and if I had to do it over again would probably only rent 4 for the kids- as the adults in our group seemed content to just lounge in the chairs. Part of our group did the Aqua Park at $15@ for 1 hour. Seeing it at first it looks kind of lame, but kids & adults had a blast on the water trampolines, rolling logs, and climbing icebergs. Water is deep but everyone wears life jackets. Island barbeque lunch was bbq chicken/ribs/burgers/hotdogs salad & fruit. Pretty good.

Craft market area sells some nice wood carvings, trinket boxes, metal ware.

Bought a beautiful 24" wood vase for $23. and carved trinket boxes for $2@.

Found a beautiful sun/moon metal sculpture for $40 but regret not buying it as I felt it would not fit in the suitcase. I enjoyed the craft market, however others in our group did not care for the aggressiveness of the vendors.

Enjoyable day

I am considering the water park for my older son and for my younger son the Kids fresh weater. are both of these close enought that we can walk to them or do we have to get some type of transportation. Can Grandparents go and watch without paying for the Excursion?

Treat this port as a "beach day". I wouldn't recommend any of the excursions. I also did the kayak trip (as KreiderCarter did) and was very disappointed. You paddled around some real slummy areas and then about halfway through they made you stop at this "tourist trap" shop. I just stayed in my kayak and started paddling back to shore - had the "guide" screaming at me.

Didn't try it but the water island stuff looked like good family fun. I wouldn't call it a "park". They have some icebergs, other similar climbing things and slides. If you are expecting something like Adventure Island here in Tampa - it is not that. The water park is at the beach - a short walk from where you arrive.

The food is decent - apparently cooked on board the ship and brought to the island. Drinks were good but don't get the "special" plastic cups - they are a rip off.

I found the craft vendors very aggressive. They all want you to come see what they have. I had no intention of buying anything - just wanted to see what it looked like. A pleasant "no thanks" seemed to work for most of them. If you do want to buy some things, put on your best bartering hat - don't accept the first price they give you. As you walk away, the price will get dramatically lower - especially the closer you are to the exit!!

Labadee is my favorite stop....

I'm 29 and still had fun at the water park. It's not big, but it's fun jumping on the trampolines and sliding down the icebergs. I lasted about a half hour before getting bored, which was worth the money for me. The water park is very close to where the tenders drop you off.

The waverunners were incredible. That was my favorite part of my entire cruise. They took you on a tour around the island. I know some of the stories were made up, but speeding by the ship and seeing the beautiful island was great.

Can I bring my own mat to float at the beach? someone said that it is 10.00 to rent. I know I can buy one from home for 1.99 from Big Lots and if I had to just leave it there. That is what I did when I sailed on the Disney Cruise Line. Matter of face as I was headed back to the ship another couple was headed to the beach so I gave them my matt.

NDK100: No charge to watch at the water park. You can walk all around the "island" in about 15 minutes. If the Grandparents are unable to walk distances, there are carts (like a golf cart, but hold about 10 passengers) to transport you all around. Also, for those passengers in wheel chairs, there are beach wheel chairs - the ones with the big tires - to move across the sand. The area between the big water park and the new area with the cannons etc. is no more than a five minute walk between them.

Minniegidget: By all means take your own beach mat or float if you'd like.

Also, the first beach when you get off the ship gets really, really, really, crowded. Passengers who stop there are packed in like sardines in a can. Venture a little further along to the two other beaches/coves on that side if you want calm, protected swimming areas. Otherwise, head straight and you will come to a long stretch of beach that is more open with "bigger" waves. These other areas are far less crowded.

Enjoy your day at Labadee.

Archived