RSSC Passport Policy

Was wondering why when we went on a recent cruise on the Navigator that during checkin, they took our passports. I quized the lady taking our information and all she came up with was that we might "misplace" the passports and that we would get them back the day before we disembark. Personally, with many years prior military experience and such, I thought this to be quite rediculous for a reason. Is it normal RSSC policy or some maritime law?

It's normal policy for RSSC and many other cruise lines as well. I think it dates back to the days when immigration would come on board, go through the passports, and clear everybody. Curiously, on the fall Diamond crossing I surrendered my passport on boarding and had to clear immigration when the ship arrived in San Juan although I was staying on for the next cruise. Didn't make me happy to have to get up early and stand in line when I planned a late wakeup followed by gloating at those departing, but that's another story. After being cleared I started to hand the passport back, but was told I could keep it because they "had all my information". Made disembarking a week later really easy!

On our recent cruise from Ft.Lauderdale to Rome our passports were retained upon boarding.

However,prior to arriving at Barcelona we were provided with a photocopy of the most important page of the passport to carry with us when going ashore.

In the event,we were not asked to produce any documentation.

Personally,I never carry my passport with me unless it is absolutely neccessary.

I was disturbed by this policy on my first RSSC cruise as well, but it is standard practice. After my initial shock, I realized it was probably a good idea that they keep documentaion on all their passengers. However I always carry copies of my passport in various places just to be safe. It's a good idea when travelling internationally to keep a copy in different bags, in case one gets stolen or lost.

JulieMac

do you actually have to have a passport for the PG? Or would a driver's license and birth certificate work? I haven't had much chance yet to do research on this ship. I'm just hoping to win a cruise from the grocery store(they've chartered out the PG Aug.6-14th)

Thanks!

Archived