Anyone can help with info for Etretat from Le Havre.

Us Two

Will be in Le Havre in May 2013 and would like to go to Etretat. Someone mentioned on these boards that they took the bus, so need more info.

Where does the bus leave from, how do we get times they run to and from. We will be at the cruise port, thought I should mention that. Did you have any difficulty getting around? We do not speak any french :eek:, and read that this village does not speak English.

Any one done a private tour they would rec? Want to go but a little nervous......Thanks....Joan.

Will be in Le Havre in May 2013 and would like to go to Etretat. Someone mentioned on these boards that they took the bus, so need more info.

Where does the bus leave from, how do we get times they run to and from. We will be at the cruise port, thought I should mention that. Did you have any difficulty getting around? We do not speak any french :eek:, and read that this village does not speak English.

Any one done a private tour they would rec? Want to go but a little nervous......Thanks....Joan.

We drove over to both Etretat and Fecamp after spending a few hours in Honfleur and had a very nice day. Using a rental car gives you maximium flexibility and lets you go to a few places without breaking the bank. As to language, you are in France and French is the langauge! Many folks do speak and understand some English (especially those in the tourist industry) but there is never a guarantee. We have traveled extensively all over Europe without any problems, and English is our only fluent language.

Hank

thanks Hank. Driving a rental sounds such a good plan, but it wont work for us!! We get lost in our own area all the time, never mind the rd signs and following a map! We would just not be confident enough.hopeing someone will guide us re the bus or train....Thanks again...Joan.

thanks Hank. Driving a rental sounds such a good plan, but it wont work for us!! We get lost in our own area all the time, never mind the rd signs and following a map! We would just not be confident enough.hopeing someone will guide us re the bus or train....Thanks again...Joan.

LOL. We have had our "lost" issues on many a drive but this ended when I replaced DWs map reading skills (NOT) with GPS. We do a lot of driving in Europe so have our own Garmin with the European maps....but just about every rental car company will provide GPS (for a price).

I did a little research for you and if you really want to use public transit the train does not exist. However, the #24 bus does go from Le Havre to Etretat in about an hour and there is a bus at 9:30 and 10:30 that leaves from the train station. I noticed that this bus also makes a stop at "Port Octane" but I am not sure where this stop is in relation to the cruise docks. It takes about 45 min to walk from the pier to the train station (if you are a fast walker) so you would probably want to find a taxi (not always easy) to the train station from where you can definately catch the bus. There appear to be several return buses in the afternoon (around 1, 3 and 4) so this is certainly a doable trip. Not sure why you chose Etretat for an entire port day but we hope you enjoy the place.

Hank

Very kind of you to take the time to look up that info. We also have the e-mail address of the tourist desk in Le Havre.

Not knowing about the area we just looked at pics that were posted and read a little. So we decided to not go too far astray, 1hr away is good enough, and some rec Ertrat and also Honfleur. Looked at pics and that looks nice too.

Really want something not too involved to get to and interesting. Have you any places rec under DIY?....Joan.

Very kind of you to take the time to look up that info. We also have the e-mail address of the tourist desk in Le Havre.

Not knowing about the area we just looked at pics that were posted and read a little. So we decided to not go too far astray, 1hr away is good enough, and some rec Ertrat and also Honfleur. Looked at pics and that looks nice too.

Really want something not too involved to get to and interesting. Have you any places rec under DIY?....Joan.

Lots of DIY options but if you eliminate the rental car option it does really limit those options. The Etretat bus looks like an OK option although we were not overwhelmed by Etretat. Its a relatively nice shore town (what we all it on the east coast of the US). Honfleur is a personal favorite, but its also a small town and we primarily drive there to have a nice lunch on their little harbor (the best mussels I have ever eaten). If you are looking for a larger city it is relatively easy to take the train to Rouen where they have a famous cathedral, lots of shopping, restaurants, etc. And its a lot closer then going all the way to Paris (the train ride is under an hour). If you do take the train and are 60+ ask for a senior rate in the ticket office (you save at least 20%).

With a car there are many other options including visiting Normandy, Bayeux, etc.

Hank

We did a tour with taxis le harve to ertrat, fecamp, deuxville and honfluer ( god I know I have spelt them all wrong) we had a van with6 of us and it was a great day even if the weather didn't cooperate....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

We went to Etretat on the bus, intending to also go to Fecamp, but ran out of time as we walked the cliffs at Etretat which left us insufficient time for both. The bus was relatively easy, but the town is small and the main attraction is the white cliffs and the clifftop walks. We had beautiful weather and chose to enjoy the walks, but if the weather is not good on the day you are there, you would be better going somewhere with more options.

We had previously visitied Honfleur and Rouen so Etretat was not our first priority. I would suggest that if the weather is not terrific, you head to Rouen on the train. The town was attractive enough in the centre, close to the Church of Joan of Arc. There was at that time a little "Noddy" train which tootled around if you want that. Honfleur is also very attractive, much more so than Etretat.

A bus to Etretat and/or Fecamp is no more difficult than a bus to Honfleur or a train to Rouen. If you are on a Roll Call, perhaps you could arrange a private taxi tour with others, or join in one arranged by someone else.

In Le Havre the train and bus stations are together. If you have timings for both buses and trains you can make a quick decision on the day. You should hopefully find other cruise pax heading for either buses or trains, and could share the short taxi ride with them.

A bus to Etretat and/or Fecamp is no more difficult than a bus to Honfleur or a train to Rouen. If you are on a Roll Call, perhaps you could arrange a private taxi tour with others, or join in one arranged by someone else. The Tourist Office was extermely helpful and when we went there were plenty taxis at the dock. Some took 4 persons, some took 6.

Archived