Seahorse Snorkel & Sail or Rainbow Reef?

Sunny AZ Girl

We are wondering what the difference is in the quality of snorkeling is between Seahorse and Rainbow Reef (both booked through the ship). Seahorse is 3 1/2 hours for $49 & Rainbow Reef is 2 1/2 hours for $29. Is the snorkeling more pristine at the Seahorse location? Is the $20 pp worth the extra hour on the excursion?

Also, Seahorse is $60 when booked independently. I am surprised as the ship prices are usually higher. The times are better for us when booked through the ship, plus we would not have to factor in the transport cost into the price & time to the Seahorse dock. Is there a difference between their private & ship tours (besides the obvious number of people)?

We are wondering what the difference is in the quality of snorkeling is between Seahorse and Rainbow Reef (both booked through the ship). Seahorse is 3 1/2 hours for $49 & Rainbow Reef is 2 1/2 hours for $29. Is the snorkeling more pristine at the Seahorse location? Is the $20 pp worth the extra hour on the excursion?

Also, Seahorse is $60 when booked independently. I am surprised as the ship prices are usually higher. The times are better for us when booked through the ship, plus we would not have to factor in the transport cost into the price & time to the Seahorse dock. Is there a difference between their private & ship tours (besides the obvious number of people)?

Don't know why the difference in price, but the main difference between the Seahorse and the Rainbow Reef is:

Seahorse is a sailing catamaran and open boat that goes to a colorful reef outside the harbour.. near Spruce Cay and Rose Island.

Rainbow Reef is a covered boat (I think it has an upstairs.. not sure).. it goes to the sea gardens near the mouth of the Harbour at Athol Island.

It's a protected area, but very busy. You may see several boats here with you. this area doesn't have the bright coral heads that you see in the outer reefs, but is still a fun trip for novice snorkelers.

Don't know why the difference in price, but the main difference between the Seahorse and the Rainbow Reef is:

Seahorse is a sailing catamaran and open boat that goes to a colorful reef outside the harbour.. near Spruce Cay and Rose Island.

Rainbow Reef is a covered boat (I think it has an upstairs.. not sure).. it goes to the sea gardens near the mouth of the Harbour at Athol Island.

It's a protected area, but very busy. You may see several boats here with you. this area doesn't have the bright coral heads that you see in the outer reefs, but is still a fun trip for novice snorkelers.

Thank you for the prompt reply, Scuba Girl! I think the Seahorse may be better then. Is the reef it goes to still in good condition?

Thank you for the prompt reply, Scuba Girl! I think the Seahorse may be better then. Is the reef it goes to still in good condition?

Yes, they use several reefs in the area.. depending on weather conditions.. I've been on this trip a dozen times and never had a bad location.

Scuba Girl what is the difference between the boats entry and exit access from the water. O have difficulty getting in and out of the water onto a boat due to arthritis. If it is the front step loading it is OK, But if it is a ladder I can't make it.

Thanks,

Norine

Seahorse would be the better fit.. it has a low ledge and 3 steps at the back of the boat.. and the descending stairs that is lowered into the water.

Don't remember what rainbow reef has, but I think it's a ladder type at the back of the boat.

Seahorse would be the better fit.. it has a low ledge and 3 steps at the back of the boat.. and the descending stairs that is lowered into the water.

Don't remember what rainbow reef has, but I think it's a ladder type at the back of the boat.

The pictures on the RCI website show a two decker boat for Rainbow Reef with two sets of steps that look good in the back. However, I had the same concerns with Seahorse, so I am glad to know that the access for that boat is good. Thank you Scuba Girl!

• 1 year later...
Sunny_AZ_Girl

Did you go on the SEAhorse??? I am considering it for my Dec Epic stop in Nassau. Please let me know what you thought of the snorkeling and the rum punch! How was the boat ride. . . rough waters? Thanks!

Yes, we did go on the Seahorse. I was disappointed and would not do it again. It wasn't that it was horrible, it was just not up to par to other catamaran excursions I have been on. The ride up and down the harbor was the best part. You can see the full description with pictures in my review in my signature, beginning with Post #65.:)

I am not a drinker so cannot comment on the rum punch. I amy have had a little, but don't remember if I did. Sorry about that.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

• 11 months later...

Has anybody done this excursion lately? Typically we wouldn't book thru the ship, but our port time is short and it would just be easier than trying to do a bunch of research and worry about getting back in time! :eek: Sunny AZ girl, can you elaborate on why you were disappointed?

Has anybody done this excursion lately? Typically we wouldn't book thru the ship, but our port time is short and it would just be easier than trying to do a bunch of research and worry about getting back in time! :eek: Sunny AZ girl, can you elaborate on why you were disappointed?

The snorkeling was fair to poor only. Because of the current and rough conditions we could only be in the water a few minutes. We were in open water, not a nice protected cove. There were quite a few people on board. The best part was the cruise past the million dollar homes. It wasn't a wasted day, but we won't do it again. JMHO.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

We have done both. Catamaran was an easier in and out. Sight seeing was better on the double decker (top of course) Both snorkeling experiences were ok but not spectacular. You never know about conditions. There can be strong currents at both site and choppy waves. I would choose the one with the longer time in the water but we are strong swimmers and experienced snorkelers. Have fun!