When, NOT HOW MUCH, to Tip Guides and Drivers In St. Petersburg

We, like many readers, are doing a two day tour of St. Petersburg, with one of the two independent companies that are most frequently discussed on these boards. How much to tip is a personal question, that everyone has their own opinion on, but what about when to tip? Our company is charging, because of entrance fees, what we are seeing on Day 1 versus Day 2, the amount of hours spent on Day 1 versus Day 2, and various other reasons, different amounts for each day. While we will pay for the whole tour on Day 2 (approximately $1500 USD including all fees and extras) on the invoice the price is broken down as roughly $900 for day 1 and $600 for day 2. Has anyone had this addressed by anyone with true knowledge, versus a guess? Do people tip the percentage amount they decide on tipping all on Day 2, or day they decide to tip "X" percent do they tip "X" percent of Day 1 on Day 1 and "X" percent of Day 2 on Day 2. I was concerned about what if the guide and/or driver from Day 1 suddenly was not the same as the one on day 2?

How has tipping been handled on two day tours in the past, as this is slightly different than an 8 day motorcoach trip where you pretty well know who your guide and driver will be up front.

We used DenRus last August. On Day One, we were greeted at the pier by a reprsentative of DenRus who introduced us to our guide and driver and politely asked for payment for both days. We paid for the two days of touring. We were told right away that we would have the same guide and driver for both days (I think, but am not sure, this is the most common practice). We tipped both the guide and driver while saying good bye at the end of Day Two. I'm not sure that was the "right" thing to do, but that is how we handled it.

We used DenRus last August. On Day One, we were greeted at the pier by a reprsentative of DenRus who introduced us to our guide and driver and politely asked for payment for both days. We paid for the two days of touring. We were told right away that we would have the same guide and driver for both days (I think, but am not sure, this is the most common practice). We tipped both the guide and driver while saying good bye at the end of Day Two. I'm not sure that was the "right" thing to do, but that is how we handled it.

Thanks. Did DenRus charge one fee for the whole tour or did they break it out as two separate days? That's what RO is doing, they price it as two days and collects both days at once and RO doesn't collect their fee (other than the "deposit" -- really the commission -- collected by its US representative) until the second day. If they tell us the guide and driver will be the same we will just tell them they will get their tip at the end.:eek:

Yes, DenRus does the same, Day 1 is a different charge from Day 2. I think Day 2 is shorter (aaaa- da ship is gunna leave). :D

As with all other excursions, both Step-On Guides and Tour Directors, we will tip at the end of Day 2 when we bid our farewells. :(

I do not think it appropriate to discuss tips and, it may even prove embarrassing to the Guide. :eek:

They do this for the love of the work; even though tips are greatly appreciated, they are very grateful for our appreciation. Just as on the ship, I believe that they genuinely wish to please their pax. Also, they love it when you know a little of something you are visiting and love to answer questions (from The JnSider's Lips). ;)

As with all other excursions, both Step-On Guides and Tour Directors, we will tip at the end of Day 2 when we bid our farewells. :(

I do not think it appropriate to discuss tips and, it may even prove embarrassing to the Guide. :eek:

They do this for the love of the work; even though tips are greatly appreciated, they are very grateful for our appreciation. Just as on the ship, I believe that they genuinely wish to please their pax. Also, they love it when you know a little of something you are visiting and love to answer questions (from The JnSider's Lips).

:) Thanks Donna. I wasn't sure as we have ususally done things one day at a time and it's sort of like when we use the local airport shuttle. They charge the full roundtrip, including the mandatory :eek: 20% gratuity when they drop yolu at the airport on the day of departure. Then a different driver picks you up when you get home and he or she stands around until we say something like " ... we already paid the tip to the other driver, I'm sure your company has a way of getting you your share ..." Regarding the man with no name's comment that Just as on the ship, I believe that they genuinely wish to please their pax . . . While it is true many cruise ship employees do wish to see happy passengers, based on what I know about the industry it is really a lot like Disneyland or a David Copperfield illussion (BTW his mother and father live two houses down the street) The ship would love you to think its all done out of love I have a little secret :rolleyes: for the majority of the employees it is the ability to earn the wage that they earn and the more they please the passenger the more they hope to earn. If it were only true that their motivation was purely altruistic.

Although the Crew are trained to work as a Team, it is still highly competitive within the community to strive for higher position, thus, greater salary. The Cabin Steward wishes to progress up to servicing mini-suites and then full suites - better salary and better tips. Pleasing the pax and getting kudos (the C.R.U.I.S.E cards that you fill out) has a definite relationship on the employee's periodic review, and thus his raise in pay.

If whiney and discontent pax complain to the upper management, it is certainly frightening.

Some of the Crew are so new that they don't know the bow from the stern - they just know how to push the drinks by the pool - that may be their only training so far. If you give them a smile and speak personally with them, they will remember you and, being special, give you that special service. I don't know, it always works for me. I guess I just always look for the sunny side. :cool:

How did you pay for the tour and tips? Did you use Rubles? USD? Credit Card? I want to pay by USD, but I've heard that the bills need to be practically brand new for citizens of Russia won't accept USD for fear of counterfeit...

Any feedback would be appreciated...

We paid in US dollars. I went to the bank and got a few hundreds, fifties and twenties and just looked them over. The bills don't really have to be brand new - just not the kind that look like they went through a war. I think you can only get Rubles in Russia and you pay virtually as soon as you get off the ship so paying in Rubles might prove to be difficult. As for credit cards, the tour company added a hefty (imho) fee for using them because the banks in Russia charge them a high fee. So, after considering all the options, we got cash from the bank in an amount equal to the cost of the 2 days of touring and put it in an envelope and just handed it to the DenRus rep and we were on our way in 5 minutes.

BTW, I am so jealous of everyone going this year. It was a FABULOUS trip and I know you will have a great time.

Gail

How did you pay for the tour and tips? Did you use Rubles? USD? Credit Card? I want to pay by USD, but I've heard that the bills need to be practically brand new for citizens of Russia won't accept USD for fear of counterfeit...

Any feedback would be appreciated...

it is true that its hard to pass soiled, wrinkled, or marked bills in all of Eastern Europe. Inspect your bills when you get them at the bank so you can exchange them if there is any mark on them.

It is amazing how many bills in circulation in North America have writing on them, tears and lightening of the ink at the fold.

I just got my bills from the bank yesterday, after ordering low circulation currency last week. The teller and I went through every bill and rejected 80% of them, it took 30 minutes to find 50 acceptable $100 bills out of the hundreds we had to look through. Banks in larger cities are used to this so it is not a problem. If you don't want to go to that hassle, just take twice as many as you would need so you have a pretty good chance of having acceptable bills. That is not an option for me since I do not have 100 $100 bills to take. I've been stuck in foreign countries with a pocket full of US currency that was not spendable due to its having been too worn. Also look at a bright light through the bills to make sure there are no water marks, also a no-no.

I never figured out why people write or do calculations on the back of paper money. Dumb habit

Living in Canada, we have to make a special trip to the bank to get US dollars anyway.

What I usually do is phone my branch in advance and tell them that I am coming in for XXXX $$ and if they could arrange for newer bills. This has never been a problem (so far).

If you give them some notice they can probably get nice new bills for you (so you don't have to take twice as much).

Elin

I, too, was concerned about the quality of the bills from my bank. Most were wrinkled, written on or torn. However, I cashed travelers checks on the ship for tips and was given almost all new bills! I was astonished and asked the teller at the shipboard bank how she managed to get new money and her simple reply was, "that is how we get them from the European banks". Could be that banks are aware of the concern so new money is sent to the European banks while us folks at home use the tried and true bills.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of us gave a tip to the DenRus in a thank you envelope at the beginning of the 2nd day, with the others at the end of the second day. We had the same driver and guide both days. I personally tipped in Russian Rubbles, but I noticed when we bought goods the USD was more favorable than paying with rubbles. We paid in USD for the tours. I just used 20's from my home ATM.

Suzi

Marion, We tipped 10% of the total cost for the 2 days (and rounded it up a little to make an "even" number) and then divided it about 70% to the guide and 30% to the driver (again, rounded a little bit). I hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did ours.

Calm seas,

Gail

Marion,

We were on the June 4 Star Princess sailing, and spent two days with Red October. We tipped 10% to the guide and 10% to the driver, rounding up to make it an even number. I was able to get relatively new USD bills from my bank before leaving, and the guide and driver had no problems accepting it!

Happy Sailings!

We were on the Jewel of the Seas for the 5/27 cruise and used DenRus for our tour. (They were great). We could have paid on either day. We choose to pay on Day one. A rep met us at St Issacs and I paid her. We had all gotten decent bills but certainly not brand new. The DenRus rep never even looked in the envelope. Just thanked us for using their company and wished us a pleasant tour. We paid in U.S. dollars. We tipped the guide and the driver (they were the same for both days and we were told that right away) at the end of the 2nd day. I tipped for our entire group and was the last one out of the van so I tipped Alexander (the driver) while the others were thanking Nadya (our guide). So when I gave her the tip she asked if it was for her or for both of them since she hadn't seen me tip Alexander. I told her I had already tipped him and that this was for her....but I was impressed that she thought to ask to make sure he was taken care of as well.

Oops, I guess I didn't answer the OP's question....we had the same RO driver and guide both days, and we tipped at the end of the second day. We also gave them both a Mickey Mouse baseball cap, since we live near Orlando. They seemed pretty happy with the gifts!!

Happy Sailings!

This is a link to a rather spirited thread on tipping in St. Petersburg. Many people suggested the 10% figure, but Stan, who lives there, and Denrus, both suggested a substantially lower amount. They indicated that anything more would actually be deemed rude and suggested supplementing with a personal, sentimental type item.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=170719&highlight=tip+red

Jerry

To all that responded to our question (we were the original posters) a hearty Thank You for taking the time to answer us. We were concerned that if we did not tip at the end of day one (or at least present part of the tip) the driver and guide might think they were being stiffed, or worse if we gave half the tip on day one they might think that is all they were getting and day two's service would suffer. It now appears that the drivers and guides are used to being tipped at the end of day two and will not be concerned if they are not tipped at the end of day one.

Archived