climbing Altun Ha

beachgrl001

I am wondering how the climb down is...Is there anything to hold on to? I am not so good with heights, but would really like to give it a try :o

As one South Jerseyan to another, hello!

Altun Ha is a wonderful Mayan archeological site. I wrote a something about Altun Ha here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1683738

It has a number of different structures, all of which you can climb, but some portions of pyramids are roped off (it looked to me like that it was roped off because some stairs were pretty steep).

I am not sure if you are going there with a guide, or on your own, so I have no idea if a guide will steer you one place or another.

Orientation: There are two adjacent plazas in Altun Ha, Plaza A and Plaza B, consisting of about a 15-20 structures, some consolidated, some not. From the parking lot you’ll enter into Plaza A, and you’ll see the Temple of the Green Tomb (Structure A-1) across the Plaza A on your right, Structure A-3 across the Plaza on your left; to your immediate right will be Structure A-6, and to your immediate left will be Bowling Alley (A-5) to your left.

Walking through the Plaza A, next to A-3, you’ll enter Plaza B. Across Plaza B on left will be the Temple of Masonry Altars (Structure B-4), across Plaza B on the right will be the Ik Palace (Structures B-3, B-5, and B-6); on your immediate left will be low structures A-1 and B-1.

Structure A-6 is grass covered mound with a long superstructure on the top. The front is unconsolidated. There is no access to the top from the Plaza, but you can climb newly constructed stair from the back. The stairs look inviting (it is the first thing that looks climbable to people entering Altun Ha), but for some people it might be too steep, no landings to catch your breath, just 49 stairs straight up.

Structure A-1 (Temple of the Green Tomb) has a steep staircase in front, but it is roped off. You access it from the right. Fairly easy climb, except for the top third (the last 7 steps on the superstructure are steep).

Structure A-5 (Bowling Alley) is unconsolidated. Sizable mound, but nor too steep compare to other tall structures. My kids did it, but I skipped it.

Structure A-3 is probably the best pyramid to climb if you have problems climbing, but still want to see the entire site from atop of the pyramid. It is an easy climb. It has a 270 degree view of Altun Han, because it straddles both Plazas. 9 steps to the first level, 9 more to the second level, 5 more to the third level, and 5 more to the top level.

Structure B-4 (Temple of the Masonry Altars) is the tallest in Altun Ha, and the only one with handrails. The view is spectacular. Easy to climb due to handrails (at least part of the climb).

Structure B-6 has about 17 steps in 3 levels. An easy climb, but this structure doesn’t offer much on an overlook.

Structures B-1, B-3, and B-5 are low structures with less than 5 steps each.

Good luck!

I would recommend to wear sunscreen and bring a hat for both tours. Most of the boats we saw on the River Wallace did not have any tops on them. And our boat only had a light top that covered the driver and a few tourists around him. We actually rode on a rainy day- so I would also recommend bringing a ziploc bag for your camera and phones if you are bringing them.Thankfully the guides handed out free rain ponchos- but it was very difficult for some to keep their very expensive cameras protected.

hth.

I am wondering how the climb down is...Is there anything to hold on to? I am not so good with heights, but would really like to give it a try :o

There is a railing to hold on to, but the descent is a bit steep. I ended up going down sideways [bad knees!] so it took me a while, but it was worth the climb.

Archived