Altun Ha Mayan Site & River Wallace Tour

Love2travel4

the bus rides are a bit long and very bumpy ( but IS airconditioned!)- but Altun Ha was great to see- a little too quick. If you like to take a lot of pics- feel free to walk away from the group a little bit-you can always keep them in the line of sight. Bring a water bottle helpful hint. And they have bathrooms there at the site-so no worries there.

Then you go to a resort to eat lunch- plan about $10 for a hamburger and soda or chicken and rice meal with soda.

Then going on the boat ride down the River Wallace was amazing. Everyone in my family of 5 had a great time- EVEN in the rain if you can imagine!lol!

Just wear/bring sunscreen and keep water with you and you should be fine. We brought some off for the bugs- but was not needed on our trip in July as we had off and on showers.

Oh and at Altun Ha there will be mini "shops" there- just be careful buying anything from their crops . They are not pushy- but do try to get you to buy coconut and such to bring back with you-but you are not supposed to bring the produce back on the ship.

hth.

they have life jackets to wear-it is not mandatory. BUT- the seats are very hard and when they go fast it does hurt the spine a bit if you have a bad back ( bumpy waters)- I saw many people sitting on their lifejackets for that purpose. And they do pack you in like sardines for the boat ride- but in no way did we feel our boat was compromised because of it.

The boats and the buses are not the kind of comforts you would have in the states, but both were acceptable for serving the purpose at hand.

hth;)

I am adding a link to our cruise review- the Belize part of our cruise is towards the bottom of the page if you would like to read/see more:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1675883

they have life jackets to wear-it is not mandatory. BUT- the seats are very hard and when they go fast it does hurt the spine a bit if you have a bad back ( bumpy waters)- I saw many people sitting on their lifejackets for that purpose. And they do pack you in like sardines for the boat ride- but in no way did we feel our boat was compromised because of it.

Newbies tend to crowd at the bow of the boat, trying to see things ahead. That's good, except that the bow of the boat is the bumpiest portion of the boat. Most experienced people sit in the middle or stern.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be on the Carnival Legend on 12/9. We are also thinking of doing the Altun Ha Mayan site ruins/River Wallace excursion. I was windering if anyone has done this excursion through another tour company. All the ones that I have researched only do the Altun Ha ruins with a Belize city tour. Carnival charges $86 pp. Just wandering if anyone has done this excursion for cheaper than what Carnival charges.

I have read great reviews about this tour. I found a company chukkacaribbean that offers it but on their website they state not for sale to cruise passengers. We are on Carnival in three weeks and this excursion does not appear in the list of shore excursions for our sail date. Does anyone know of another company that offers the Altun Ha and River Wallace tour. Are more shore excursions offered once we get onboard - it is our first time sailing on Carnival.

To anyone that has done this tour with Carnival.

Did you have any time once back at the port after the excursion for any shopping?

We are in port from 8:00 am - 6;00 pm

I know it is a tender port so that takes time also.

The tour is listed as 5.5 hours long.

Thanks in advance.

I took this tour with Carnival. We enjoyed the excursion alot. My only complaint was that it was extemely hot that day on the river wallace. On my excursion, wearing a lifejacket was mandatory. The boat was very crowded that day...so be mindful with who you sit next to! haha

We enjoyed the ruins alot. We purchased two wooden bowls from the vendors there that we use daily at home! They were a great price too!

I hope you enjoy the excursion as much as we did!

Archived