Scooter??

janina

Yes there are, but I don’t recommend it.

Between the Gap and Holetown (the west coast) the traffic is nuts. You would take your life in your hands, believe me.

Even with gasoline at US$12/gal, few islanders will hazard cycle travel.

Now, if you were to pick up a scooter on the east coast where things are much more subdued, that would probably be fine as far as minimizing the potential of physical injury is concerned.

Please be advised that, albeit seldom, robbery does occur to minimoke and scooter drivers.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but perhaps a taxi tour or a sedan rental, or even an organised tour may prove to be a better and safer value for you.

Best wishes for a great time on the island. :)

I rented a mini-moke from Stoutes car rental last April, which has a little booth at the port, and had a BALL. I thought it was a GREAT way to see the island and I saw a lot of things that are not on the regular tourist routes. I took a minimum of money as I was aware of the possibility of robbery, but I had no problems at all.

I had no problem driving on the left, but I lived in England for several years and so had done it before.

The one thing I would say is that the road signage leaves a LOT to be desired (think little arrows nailed to power poles and palm trees once you get out of Bridgetown), so if you can bring a GPS or something that might help. I got completely lost several times but still made it back to the ship in plenty of time, and the locals whom I asked for directions could not have been friendlier. One man even went out of his way to lead me back to the port area when I got lost in Bridgetown (even after looking at multiple maps I still have NO idea exactly where I was), and was reluctant to accept the gas money I offered him.

So...IDK about scooters, but I would definitely recommend a mini-moke if you have a sense of adventure. Or are crazy. :)

OK- I'm intrigued: what exactly is a mini-moke? Hubs has no problem driving on the left, and he has a Retired Military Person's uncanny sense of direction that totally amazes me.... We will be in Barbados for one day (8am-5pm) on a cruise in early March, and are looking for something fun and special to do- we've never been to Barbados! (He's a chef & I'm his "foodie" LOL, so that's another thing we're looking into... as well as the "Cliff Sharker" snorkel tour with turtles and the shipwreck...)

I rented a mini-moke from Stoutes car rental last April, which has a little booth at the port, and had a BALL. I thought it was a GREAT way to see the island and I saw a lot of things that are not on the regular tourist routes. I took a minimum of money as I was aware of the possibility of robbery, but I had no problems at all.

I had no problem driving on the left, but I lived in England for several years and so had done it before.

The one thing I would say is that the road signage leaves a LOT to be desired (think little arrows nailed to power poles and palm trees once you get out of Bridgetown), so if you can bring a GPS or something that might help. I got completely lost several times but still made it back to the ship in plenty of time, and the locals whom I asked for directions could not have been friendlier. One man even went out of his way to lead me back to the port area when I got lost in Bridgetown (even after looking at multiple maps I still have NO idea exactly where I was), and was reluctant to accept the gas money I offered him.

So...IDK about scooters, but I would definitely recommend a mini-moke if you have a sense of adventure. Or are crazy. :)

I'd also like to know what a mini joke is? Barbados can you answer

Think of a golf cart. In the early days were actually minis but a lot are suzukis now.

A small car that carries 4 person with a convertiable top and no doors and low suspension. mainly used by visitors to tour around island

Look up mini moke on wikipedia encyclopedia and you will get an discription and photos

• 1 month later...

We rented a Moke from Stoutes when we visited Barbados and it was great! We got lost a lot but we still managed to see a lot of the things we'd wanted to, the windmill, Gun Hill, Bathsheba, etc.

Navigating in Bridgetown was a nightmare. We must have stopped 5 or 6 times to get directions back to the ship.

Archived