Child with food allergies -Epi Pen at Adventure Ocean

My 7 year old son has food allergies -including peanut. RCCL told me that his Epi Pen could be left with him at Adventure Ocean. Does anyone have experience with kids and food allergies -both at meal time and the kids area?

Our family cruise last year included our 7 year old granddaughter with severe food allergies, including peanuts. Don't know how our son and daughter in law handled the epi pen in AO, but for food, DIL had several conversations with the food coordinator in Miami for our ship before we sailed and at dinner the first night our Ass't Maitre'd who had been notified by RC Miami, came to the table as soon as we sat down and worked out food for that night. That night and every night there after he would work with our son and daughter in law to plan the next night's meal. She does drink rice milk and they brought that with them.

As for breakfast and lunch, we ate at the buffet and they could easily pick food that worked and the staff was very helpful if they had any questions about what items contained or how they were prepared.

It worked out fine and the staff was great. They deal with this frequently, both with kids and adults.

I don't know about AO, but if you have food allergies that need to be accommodated then you need to contact RCCI well before you go. On their webpage, go to their FAQs page, to Life Onboard, and they'll have an e-mail address for you (I can't remember the address, sorry). Also, make sure to talk to the Maitre D when you get to the ship.

my son has a severe alergy to peanuts Thank god even at 5 he is so sensitive and hates how sick he gets that he can tell if something has peanuts a mile away he won;t even touch cheese crackers cause they are very similar to peanut butter crakers... thank fully because we have drs in the family and both my sons had allergies from birth we were very religous about keeping them away from almost everything when they were babaies and now my 7 year old can eat normally!! I don't think my 5 year old will ever even try to see if he has out grown it:)

here is my experinece suggestion is there gonna be an older sibling in the club also??? My 7 year old knows how to give the shot heck my 5 year old could give himself the shot!!! We just asked teh AO staff if they new how to give one made sure they did and said if you need to and don;t think you can get his brother to do it... and we gave them a nice zipped up fanny pack with his name and epi pen written clearly on it and they kept it no problems i even saw one of the memeber s wearing it when they were doiing the Pirate parade so it made me feel good..

good luck

Thanks so much. RCCL customer service has been great so far, very consisent information - to alert TA of his allergies so we can work with the wait staff. Good to know that AO will keep his Epi Pen in the room with him. Each year at school and summer day camp, I train the teachers and counselors. I will quickly train the AO staff. RCCL sounds very proactive and sensitive to food allergies.

Archived