Will RCCL sail into tropical storm?

D & M

What typically happens when there is a tropical Storm / Hurricane in the Caribbean? It looks like Adrian may cross land and enter the caribbean. Our family leaves Sunday on Explorer of the Sea - Belize is our first stop on Tuesday and then Costa Maya on Wed. We have Dive excursions booked at every stop. Words can not describe how disappointed we will be if this storm has not ended by then.

Hoping for a week of Great Weather!

Dar

I've sailed Explorer of the Seas three times! My family and I love her (even though we are sailing Carnival's new ship Valor this summer...just wanted something different). Two or three years ago we didn''t leave Cozumel early enough like the other ships did and sailed through part of hurricane Claudette on our way back to Miami. It was a wild ride from the moment we left the dock until about 2 a.m. We had a balcony on the 8th deck and were getting spray from the waves. Waves were breaking over the bow, water was running out of the pools which had to be emptied. It was actually a very fun atomosphere on the ship. You couldn't tell who was drunk because everyone was being tossed around while walking!! Noone went to sleep until after the shipped stopped tossing. A great place to watch the storm was from the Viking lounge up on that pod on deck 14. We felt like we were going to be launched! Did I ever feel unsafe, absolutely not! Although a few people were walking around with their life vests!

When you sail the caribbean during hurricane season, missing ports and altered ports need to be expected! We've always sailed this time of year and have never missed a port yet!

We will be sailing with you this Sunday. I am hopeful all will be ok. We also have excursions planned at each stop (except Costa Maya). We thought May was a safe month to cruise in. Cozumel and Grand Cayman look ok from the weather report. Belize looks a little iffy. Hopefully by Tuesday it will all be cleared away.:) Can't wait to get on the boat!

I agree with you. I have been watching Adrian off and on all week. There has not been a hurricane in that area for 45 years. Can you believe it. I would not book a cruise after August 1 just to avoid the hurricane season - so this is just unreal. But hopefully - it will continue to weaken and not regroup as it enters the carribean.....and by the time we sail Sunday at 5:00 it will be sunny skies and calm water. This will be my husbands first cruise - so I really want him to get all of the dives in. We have looked forward to it for so long. And no matter what people say - A cruise in good weather is much better than in bad weather.

See you on board!

Darlene Evans

Archived