anyone see this story?

luv2cc

During the swine flu epidemic in 2009 I went on my first cruise, and we filled out the questionnaires and they were telling us that even if we checked yes that we'd get seen by the ship's medical staff at no charge to see if we were fit to travel. They did pull one or two people out of line who were obviously coughing but weren't confessing to their illness. I personally think they should do this more often.

I'm honestly surprised at the number of people admitting to lying on the health questionnaire considering the petty complaints about chair hogs and dress in the MDR... Those things don't directly affect your cruise, but you coming on board with an illness not only risks your vacation, but mine as well.

As for this story, I have a feeling he was checked out by medical staff and they felt he wasn't fit to travel. Upset stomachs generally don't result in "flu like symptoms" which he also checked Yes for.

Where did you get this from - not from the video.

Kudos for him being honest and checking yes, and I feel bad that he missed the trip and the insurance company SHOULD reimburse them, but I think RCCL likely did the right thing in denying boarding.

He obviously flew home with no problem so he was fit for travel.

He obviously flew home with no problem so he was fit for travel.

[Edit: I was incorrect in my earlier statement that the passenger stated he had flu-like symptoms] As far as deemed unfit for travel, I meant in the context of Royal Caribbean's medical staff making that determination specifically with regard to that sailing. The determination of airline staff on his ability to travel on their aircraft is completely separate.

The video said he checked the Yes box for the flu-like symptoms question. As far as deemed unfit for travel, I meant in the context of Royal Caribbean's medical staff making that determination specifically with regard to that sailing. The determination of airline staff on his ability to travel on their aircraft is completely separate.
Please listen (and watch) the video again he checked yes for the 2nd question."The second question asked if the passenger had any symptoms of diarrhea or vomiting.

"I answered yes truthfully because I knew it was fairly well known, Alexander said."

Please listen (and watch) the video again he checked yes for the 2nd question."The second question asked if the passenger had any symptoms of diarrhea or vomiting.

"I answered yes truthfully because I knew it was fairly well known, Alexander said."

My apologies, the article/video are poorly written/edited and make it seem like he answered Yes to both questions as they never say he checked No on the flu-like symptoms question. I was mistaken.

If I'm completely honest when I fill out the form, I might not be able to board either. One of the meds I take daily has an embarrassing side effect that sometimes keeps me running to the bathroom. If I answer "yes" to the question, will I get left behind also? :(

Archived