Customs at Ports in Hawaii

suziehmkr

Hello!!

Over the last few months that I have been reading up for our upcoming holiday cruise (is it December yet?) I have seen many comments about lines for customs before getting back on the ship.

I did not have to do this in Mexico, which is a foreign country. What exactly are the customs agents doing? Looking in backpacks? And if so, what are they looking for? Are there some things that are not supposed to leave the Islands (other than the unlucky chunk of lava?) I certainly don't want to break any rules. I was even afraid to try to bring back Mexican Jumping Beans from Mazatlan for our daughter! :)

Thanks!

Tina

Are you coming in from a foreign port? We only went through some type of customs when we returned from fanning Island.

Hawaii has a sensitive eco system. They are worried about foreign plants and animals (especially snakes and frogs) that can threaten the plants and animals here.

So as long as you purchase any plants that are already cleared (the packaging will tell you) and youre not bringing any snakes, I wouldnt worry about it.

The most they did was check a backpack on our trip but I think that was more security than customs.

Hi Suebee,

We are coming straight from LA, and I have read about it from the passengers on the Island Princess.... just curious as to what it is about. Seems the delay is when leaving the island, which leads me to believe they are looking for things being taken off the islands.

Thanks!

Maybe someone tried to take some plants or fruit right off the tree. A lot of people think that is OK but its not. There could be some insects or critters in the roots or on the plant that shouldnt leave. Fruit off the trees...I am thinking of Mangoes, have a sap that is poisonous like poison Ivy....my daughter has had a swollen face due to that once.

When you leave the Islands by plane, your luggage has to undergo an agricultural inspection. That's something different than customs.

I would think the cruise ship would be checking for agricultural violations since they inspect packages whenever you reboard.

Seems rather improbable that there would be a customs inspection on a RT from LA since they don't really stop in a foreign country, unless the brief stop at Ensenada counts???????????? Also if I understood the original post correctly, the long lines are for passengers reboarding the ship?? Difficult to believe customs would be involved as not everyone would get off the ship. Sounds more like it may be just a security issue and yes the security is tight and you may be asked to open packages, purses etc. or they may just x-ray them.

OK - you are right Dan... it might just be security and not customs. I probably just misunderstood or dare say "assumed" it was customs. I wonder what they think might be brought on board that is such a security issue. What I mean is, in 3 stops last June in Mexico, we did have to put our bags thru scanners, but it wasn't a big delay. But it sounds like it is much tighter when re-boarding in Hawaii. I would think a foreign country like Mexico would be more of a threat than the always friendly Islands of Hawaii.

Thanks again for the input. We will just be sure to get back a bit sooner - maybe they were backed up because people waited until the last minute to reboard.

There are very strict rules about what agricultural products may be taken from Hawaii to the mainland. Some may not be taken at all, while others may be taken but must go through an official fumigation procedure. This is because there are insects and plant life in Hawaii that are not on the mainland. Some of these, if introduced, could be devistating to various crops and locations.

There are also very strict rules regarding what may be brought into Hawaii. As I recall, absolutely no unprocessed produce may be brought into Hawaii (I'm not sure about cooked products such as jam). There are even bins to give you "amnesty" if you walk off the plane with a forgotten banana--but you must dispose of it in those bins (which are placed in an area before you get to the airport proper). It's serious business and has nothing to do with foreign country issues and everything to do with foreign flora/fauna issues. It's not US customs, it's Hawaii agricultural inspection.

beachchick

Mahalo Spleen. I wanted to bring a jar of jam with me for our trip. Now I know it's okay.

BTW: Did anyone else read the article in Sunday's Parade magazine in the newspaper? I think it shows just how serious the problem of "accidentaly" imported foreign insects, animals, bacteria, and biological agents can be to both the environment and financial stability of a country or region.

beachchick

Beachchick,

I was on a sailing in April from Ensenada to Hawaii. At each port in Hawaii they had a separate Hawaiian run security screening in addition to the one they do on the ship (i.e., you and you're bags going through the screening machines)

Believe me, this got old quick. So, basically you had to go through Security twice. I asked an agent what they were looking for and she said bombs, knives, other weapons.

In Hilo, it took is an housr to get back on the ship.

dls.... I see that you sailed on the Viking Serenade the same month as us! You didn't happen to be on the June 8th sailing, did you? The only reason I remember the date is because it was our honeymoon.

BTW - LOVE Windsor!!

Beachchick,

I was on a sailing in April from Ensenada to Hawaii. At each port in Hawaii they had a separate Hawaiian run security screening in addition to the one they do on the ship (i.e., you and you're bags going through the screening machines)

Believe me, this got old quick. So, basically you had to go through Security twice. I asked an agent what they were looking for and she said bombs, knives, other weapons.

In Hilo, it took is an housr to get back on the ship.

We sailed last September on the Radiance from Vancouver to Hawaii. At EACH port stop we were required to go through security on shore, and then again when we boarded the ship. This was a long (hot) process. I remember on Mauai it took over 1 1/2 hours to pass through one security check and then the regular ship security once we were on board (and no this was not our first port after departing Vancouver). We had a lot of upset passengers on this cruise. This was something new to us and hadn't happened on previous cruises around Hawaii. I will really consider these long security delays before booking another Hawaiian cruise.

The seperate security screening at each port has been going on at least two years or more. We went through it in Nov 2003 and 2004. Also on a 2002 cruise to Bermuda, they also did the screening dockside. Our bags did not have to be rescreened when we boarded the ship, only the ID check and boarding pass. We avoided long lines by returning to the ship early, not necessarily the best option. I thought the security lines on the dock were manned by the ship's crew, in our case Celebrity, maybe this is no longer true??? To the best of my knowledge, we did not go through any agricultural inspection when boarding the ship, only at the airport and it was a separate inspection. Luggage was xrayed and tagged if it passed, you can't check in luggage without the tag.

OK - so if you are in line by the time that you are supposed to be back on the ship - then technically you aren't late, right? I mean if the ship leaves at 6:00 and you are asked to be back by 5:30 and you are there by AT LEAST that time, but in line for security - they the ship will not leave... correct?

As I said, I thought the ship's personel provided the security on the dock, but in any case if you are in line, the ship would not leave without everyone being aboard. I really thought the main purpose of putting the security lines on the dock was to have more room to get people through. I would think it would be a big problem to have people backed up at the ship in the ports where tenders are used.

Archived