Taxi tipping in Stockholm

I've reserved a maxitaxi with Taxi Nynas for a R/T transfer between Nynashamn and Stockholm city. I've the following 2 questions:

1 - What is customary for tipping for driver in Stockholm?

2 - Are the taxis reliable in terms of pickup for the return trip to port?

The reason for Q2 is that my group of 8 will require a maxitaxi and my understanding is that maxitaxis are not as abundant. Do I have to worry that the taxi might not show up even though I already reserved for a R/T? My concern obviously is that if by chance they don't show up, I need to have ample time to take the train to get back to port. My nephew had an experience in India where he reserved a taxi to take him to the airport but the taxi never showed up. I've much higher confidence with taxis in Stockholm. Perhaps residence in Stockholm can shed some lights. Do I need to worry??

I would expect them to be reliable, but I have never had one reserved like you said. Tipping should be just a few kronor, round it up to the closest even number. Taxi drivers expect a small tip and of course would be thrilled with a generous 10% or more, but swedes don't tip like that, they just round up a little.

Greta, I was hoping either you or North-bound or Al Frescoe would reply. So, really appreciate your promptness. Actually, since I reserved (chartered) the maxitaxi, so the total price is already rounded to the nearest $10 - SEK1100 for outbound (to city) and SEK950 for inbound (to port). So what's your suggestion for tipping??

Tipping taxi drivers in Sweden is really not required. If they go the extra mile (no pun intended :) ) then you can add a little extra if you like. The thing is, Swedes don't really tip, but the drivers know that Americans usually do, so, you'll have to use your own judgement ( I usually tip a little, but that's just me.). In reality, I believe they already add a gratuity to the fare. That is not gospel, just a feeling I have.

By the way, I do live here in Sweden, but I am a yank through and through, so comments made by me about how "Swedes" act have to be taken with my yankness in mind ... :D

Carry on cruising :)

Skål

Go4It,

I would tip your Taxi Driver 10% on the Outbound trip, just to insure that he comes back for the Inbound trip back to the ship. Timing IS critical in this port.

Donna, that's excellent suggestion, as always. And Al, thank you as well for all the advice and comment. Really love all the wisdom and advice I get from members on this board.

I'm heading to the airport in a few hours and hope that I can make some contribution on this board when I return. A BIG kudo to all of you in the planning of my trip. I'm sure it'll be a memorable one, no doubt...... ;)

Al Frescoe and I changed countries. I was born and raised in Sweden but now reside in the US. I travel to Sweden a lot because of family there, and try to do major sight seeing with my family when I'm there.

Tipping is something americans do. The food price in a restaurant already includes a 13% tip (or is it 15% now), so no need to tip anymore than 5%. Swedes just leave a few coins.

Americans tipping well is something we pride ourselves on, but swedes don't and they might think it strange if you throw large amouts of tip their way. They'll be happy to have it, but it's not necessary, and sometimes I get the feeling that they think me flaunting wealth.

We don't tip our supermarket check out person in the states, think of it that way. She'd think it strange if you handed her a few dollars after she packed up your eggs and orange juice.:)

Archived