Question about someone being arrested on board

madeleinedaichou

Sounds as if you have something to hide. :rolleyes:

This should be a non-issue for anyone not running from the law.

Hahahaahaha.

I can understand why people think it is an invasion of privacy....but come on....they are doing something with the information that is good.

1)A cruise ship can be used for terrorist events.....nice place to release a disease.

2) As someone has stated here, there was an issue with a warrant that was old BUT I am sure that is small percentage of people. It is wise to make sure if there was even a warrant that you KNOW it has been removed. I am all for arresting people with warrants, because they have commit a crime. Maybe we don't think it is serious...but they did and they should answer for what they did. Also all deadbeat PARENTS (since moms can be deadbeats) should never be allowed to take ANY vacation if they are not paying for their kids. Just because you walk out of their lives does not mean that you get to walk out of your responsibilities.

There is a huge difference between using information gained by legal means to run checks on people who board aircraft, trains, ships, etc. and just arresting people willy nilly for nothing. Those decrying these arrests as some kind of invasion of privacy are just plain idiots.

If you are wanted, you need to either turn yourself in or risk arrest at any moment. I've seen plenty of things that started as simple traffic stops end up with people going to jail for warrants that are discovered. Some departments don't care as much about issuing tickets as they do about stopping violators and running their names...it is a simple way of catching people with warrants and many other speeders, etc. are just let go with a stern warning (remember, they were breaking the law by speeding, etc. so they weren't stopped willy nilly for no reason).

People with outstanding arrest warrants are subject to being picked up ANYWHERE and at ANYTIME. If you had an old warrant and aren't sure it was quashed, do yourself a favor and ask locally before you depart on a trip. It'd be a lot easier to take care of it at home than during a cruise or other trip.

The last thing I want is a police state but there is a huge gap between checking for warrants and cops just stopping people for no reason. The former is what should be done; the latter is what we need to make sure does not happen.

Hahahaahaha.

I can understand why people think it is an invasion of privacy....but come on....they are doing something with the information that is good.

1)A cruise ship can be used for terrorist events.....nice place to release a disease.

2) As someone has stated here, there was an issue with a warrant that was old BUT I am sure that is small percentage of people. It is wise to make sure if there was even a warrant that you KNOW it has been removed. I am all for arresting people with warrants, because they have commit a crime. Maybe we don't think it is serious...but they did and they should answer for what they did. Also all deadbeat PARENTS (since moms can be deadbeats) should never be allowed to take ANY vacation if they are not paying for their kids. Just because you walk out of their lives does not mean that you get to walk out of your responsibilities.

Its a bigger percentage than you think.

I have ben a 9-1-1 dispatcher for going on 29 years and mistakes and typos are made all the time. The data bases are only as good and up to date as the people that enter into them. When you have humans , you will have human errore. Something doesn't get logged into a file, the proper paperwork doesn't get filed or sent in to up date a file. Any number of things. Yes I agree that if there is any reason you may think you have an outstanding warrant , no matter how minor the offense , wheter it was taken care of years ago, or not , you should have it checked out.

Don't get me wrong, there are PLENTY of guilty people out there who need to get arrested . But there are also a lot of errors in the system

And the smug people that say "if you don't do anything wrong , you have nothing to worry about" are really setting themselves up for a fall.

I know- I had the same mixed feelings you did. They demand all this information in the name of protecting us against terrorists but bit by bit our entire lives get tracked by computers and cameras and the information is used for other purposes.

Who cares? The government can track me all it wants: I have nothing to hide. Now, if I had something to hide, then I'd be complaining....

I wonder how the other two felt when they found out the friend they had been sharing a room with was just arrested for grand larceny. Geez. I really wouldn't want to be cruising with wanted criminals either, good she got arrested.

I wonder how the other two felt when they found out the friend they had been sharing a room with was just arrested for grand larceny. Geez. I really wouldn't want to be cruising with wanted criminals either, good she got arrested.

Grand Larceny hardly makes this person John Dillinger. They got caught because ther name got tagged when Carnival ran their name. I doubt this person was on the lam like Dr. Richard Kimble in The Fugitive. Grand Larcency could mean an offense involving as little as $1000. And who knows how old the warrant was

Not saying that this person should not be held responsible and yes they should have been caught.

You would be very surprised to know how many people out there , friends , neighbors co workers etc have warrants on them or some type of criminal record . No matter how minor the offense or how odd the circumstances.

Its a bigger percentage than you think.

Don't get me wrong, there are PLENTY of guilty people out there who need to get arrested . But there are also a lot of errors in the system

And the smug people that say "if you don't do anything wrong , you have nothing to worry about" are really setting themselves up for a fall.

Yes mistakes can and do happen, but also realize that for another jurisdiction to arrest someone, it has to be for a felony and probably a pretty serious one. Grand larceny yes, petty larceny, proably not.

One of our local law enforcement agencies solved the problem of waiting for felons to take a cruise. They sent out mailings to those with serious warrants saying they won a cruise and to show up at a certain place & time with proper identification to book their free cruise. Turns out that over 100 of them showed up & were booked instead:D

Yes mistakes can and do happen, but also realize that for another jurisdiction to arrest someone, it has to be for a felony and probably a pretty serious one. Grand larceny yes, petty larceny, proably not.

One of our local law enforcement agencies solved the problem of waiting for felons to take a cruise. They sent out mailings to those with serious warrants saying they won a cruise and to show up at a certain place & time with proper identification to book their free cruise. Turns out that over 100 of them showed up & were booked instead:D

Nobody ever said that crooks were smart.icon7.gif

Oh absolutely

We deal with warrants and locates a NCIC and Prawn all day. Most of the offenses are pretty minor though and the other juristictions don't have the time or manpower to get these people. Major felonies absolutely.

Then again there is no rhyme or reason. Sometimes it depends on the size or caseload of the juristiction. The same offense one town might say "we don't want him" , another will be right over .

Nothing wrong in arresting those with valid warrants, whatsoever.

The "big brother" comment is very valid, however.

Notice all the cameras along streets, freeways, intersections, parking lots, in big cities, etc....?

This is only the beginning and at some point the naive will awaken.

Unfortunately, it'll be way too late by then.

Nothing to hide, here, but realize our privacy and freedoms are being eroded!!

I used to have a friend with a very common first and last name. When he was a student at a very large university, he was one of five men enrolled there with the same name. Seriously. Each had a different middle initial, but first and last names were the same.

My friend was arrested once. One of his namesakes committed a crime. When the police asked the school for the perpetrator's address, the school inadvertently gave my friend's info instead.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

For those who disagree with running passenger lists, how do you expect police agencies to enforce warrants? Wait for the person to turn themselves in? It's usually because they failed to appear in court that the warrant was issued in the first place.

I work in law enforcement and when someone gets arrested, we get a report of any pending in-state warrants from other counties. The first thing I do is call the police department or DA's office to let them know we have the guy and what they'd like to do about it.

We sometimes get immigration hits whose database can have more false positive hits because of various spellings of names and such. Every time I've called homeland security with information, we've always worked to verify whether this was the same person - height,, weight, date of birth, etc.

Also, in some states, "traffic tickets" can be criminal charges that allow a warrant to be issued.

A few years ago the Coast Guard removed a passenger wanted for murder from a ship leaving Jacksonville. Sailed, but not out of the port. I believe he was sailing under an assumed name, but they caught him. Presumably, he might have decided to no reboard the ship in the Bahamas...

The man referred to early in this thread was on a German ship - AIDA, I think - in Europe, and had been hiding from the law with a murder conviction for something like 15 years.

For those who disagree with running passenger lists, how do you expect police agencies to enforce warrants? Wait for the person to turn themselves in? It's usually because they failed to appear in court that the warrant was issued in the first place.

I work in law enforcement and when someone gets arrested, we get a report of any pending in-state warrants from other counties. The first thing I do is call the police department or DA's office to let them know we have the guy and what they'd like to do about it.

We sometimes get immigration hits whose database can have more false positive hits because of various spellings of names and such. Every time I've called homeland security with information, we've always worked to verify whether this was the same person - height,, weight, date of birth, etc.

Also, in some states, "traffic tickets" can be criminal charges that allow a warrant to be issued.

You would be surprised tough how many people call and learn they have a warrant out for them and want to know if it is so.

Usually they hear it "on the streets" Most times it's BS , someone trying to threaten them.

Of course the only way for them to find out is to go to the front desk with photo ID and if there is in fact a warant out, they are arrested right then and there on the spot. So how many actually go after i tell them that I can't say.

The obeisance paid to the Stasi here is stunning.

I know- I had the same mixed feelings you did. They demand all this information in the name of protecting us against terrorists but bit by bit our entire lives get tracked by computers and cameras and the information is used for other purposes.

Criminals should be punished.

If you don't have anything to worry about, the checks shouldn't bother you. The checks certainly don't bother me.

Archived