Hermitage without spending time with the paintings?

poss

This probably sounds like a strange question. Thing is, we go to museums often-- Washington, NY, Baltimore, etc. I'm not interested in spending time at the Hermitage looking at/listening to lectures about Rembrandt, Picasso, etc. (Love doing that-- but do enough stateside). We very much ARE interested, though, in seeing the Hermitage, both the outside of the buildings and the insides. Just not interested in taking the time to look at the holdings. Has anyone done this? Is it possible? thanks!

Poss,

I don't think it is strange at all. When I set up our RedOct tour, I specifically inquired as to which of the spectacular rooms we would see. I too was more interested in that than the art.

I'm sure it is possible. The Hermitage has a nice website in English which gives info on tickets and buildings.

Do you have the Eyewitness Guide to St. Pete? It pictures several of the key rooms.

Did you find anyone to make a group or made arrangements for a guide?

I see that the "Hermitage and Gold Rooms" trip includes 40 minutes to walk around on your own. But if you want to do the whole thing on your own, then you'll need a tour guide or visa.

Cmi

cmi: thanks. Yes, I did get the Insights Guide, both to St Pete and to Scandinavia-- helpful indeed. Still no luck in having someone ring in with interest to share a private tour. (I'd rather do a ship's private tour than Red October-- just easier...) I keep reading that the regular tour to Gold Room and rest of Hermitage is very long, lots of standing around listening to all sorts of details that many people simply are not interested in. I'm also, by the way, much more interested in being on the grounds of Peterhof, Catherine's, etc than in seeing the inside rooms. Do you happen to know anything about Pavlosk, other than what Radisson details spell out? Trying to decide whether that trip is a should-do for us; probably yes, since it seems to be mainly grounds.

When I was there, our cruiseship had a complimentary bus that took us to the museum. I knew that there was absolutely no way I could take in everything in a few hours. I broke away from the "group" and toured the palaces in my own pace. (fast) Stopping to examine the artwork that was truly "important" to me. Did it in a few hours...

Host Dan

Poss, we all come to different places looking for our own experience. The Hermitage has so much. Like the Louvre, you could be there for days. I actually found that viewing the minimal artwork I did was in non-optimal circumstances, as there are so many windows, and the glare from the sun was awful. Apparently they have coated the windows to minimize damage to the paintings, but it was distracting to me. However, when I went into other rooms that were not for paintings, it was so much better. Just seeing the lovely parquet floors that they have was a treat! You will find what you like and spend more time in that area. However, I just remember a LOT of steps, maybe because there are limited elevators, and our guide liked climbing them for her fitness routine!

Poss,

The Insight Guides are different from the DK Eyewitness Guides. The latter, in my opinion, provide a much more organized and detailed view of the sights.

For example, Eyewitness has 2 pages devoted to the Gardens at Pavlovsk with a large detailed map with photos of the principal sights and their locations. The following 2 pages are devoted to the Pavlovsk Palace. You might want to check out the book at your library or bookstore if you are not familiar with this series.

There are of course official and unoffical websites devoted to Pavlovsk. Do a google if you haven't already.

I'm sure that a private tour will cover what you want, but don't know if you'll find anyone with similar interests on your cruise.

Good luck.

CMI

While there are spectacular rooms at the Hermitage - like the Gold Room and the Malachite Room, the collection of French Impressionists should not be missed, just because you can see them elsewhere. The Art Institute of Chicago is the only better place to see them! On our last trip we spent three hours in those galleries. Dont short change them.

You're right about the impressionists area. I remember I kept asking the guide "are we going to the impressionists next?" because she left these for the end. I think she was beginning to be annoyed with me but I didn't care because I knew it was supposed to be a real treasure. And I wasn't disappointed. I would have spent all the time we spent in the Gold rooms here!

Thanks for all the in-put. I was fortunate enough to go to grad school at the Univ of Chicago-- and thus to have the terrific Art Institute for those years. Now we live half way between Balt and Wash-- so we have the extraordinary Cone connection on the one hand and all of D.C. museums on the other. Plus I grew up in Phila-- with the Barnes collection as a neighbor. Have seen enough Impressionist paintings for a lifetime (over and over), so truly am more interested in other things on this trip. (I've never been able to enjoy looking at art in large groups-- have been lucky enough to be able to view on off times and in small groups.)

Thanks everyone!

I'm from Chicago, and agree about our Art Institute. Thank you to everyone who mentioned what a great art museum we have. Anyone visiting Chicago, our Science Museum, Planetarium, Field Museum, and Aquarium are also some of the best. Is was one of the reasons I had RO agree to only plan on the palace rooms and no art. They weren't pleased, but agreed. Our guide did talk us into looking at one room of art work, that I can't even remember who the artist was. I heard from our people on our cruise that it was so crowded that you couldn't get within 10 feet of the paintings. I think we were able to see more of St. Petersburg, outside the normal tourist places, because we didn't take the time to view the paintings at the Hermitage.

You will have a wonderful time on the Baltic Cruise with St. Pete being the highlight. Don't overdo the research. I planned our trip for 5 years, and was somewhat underwhelmed when we got there.

Mary Lou

Archived