Singles/solos in EPIC stuidios

rok233

I'd like to know what everyone else's experiences were in the stuido cabins. Did you find there were a lot of singles/solo passengers in the studio cabins or a lot of friends, families and couples booking them? Also, did a lot of people show up for happy hour before dinner? I was in the EPIC stuido room in the past and didn't go to any of the meets because I was travelling with a friend and we met a group that we really clicked with the first evening.

Now that I'm travelling solo in December I'd really like to hear from others that went to the meet and greets and did the other group activities (pub crawl, dinner, etc.

I'd like to know what everyone else's experiences were in the stuido cabins. Did you find there were a lot of singles/solo passengers in the studio cabins or a lot of friends, families and couples booking them? Also, did a lot of people show up for happy hour before dinner? I was in the EPIC stuido room in the past and didn't go to any of the meets because I was travelling with a friend and we met a group that we really clicked with the first evening.

Now that I'm travelling solo in December I'd really like to hear from others that went to the meet and greets and did the other group activities (pub crawl, dinner, etc.

I loved it. Cabin was tight but storage was excellent. bed was full size andd comfy...Room to walk and stretch between Bathroom and Bed

Flat screen HD was good size, Lighting was great and modern....All in all a great cabin for 1. At that time(2010) there was an option for 2 to book that but it was actually cheaper to get an inside for 2 so I think it is pretty much a 1 passenger option at this point(I could be wrong) When I went:

• All 159 were sold out
  • As far as I could tell all were solos
  • The lounge meetings (Happy hour) everyday were full and well organized
  • I met many friends to have dinners with, hang with and go on excursions
  • The only thing that you ask and we had no way of knowing was if a Family or Friends booked a room for say a mother-in law or an 18- ~ son or daughter or whatever. This is certainly a good option pricewise for families and friends with an extra passenger.
  • I do think it was possible, but judging by the turnout at happy Hours...well over 100 on the first night, I would say there were not too many in that category.:D

Did not do pub crawl

Many dinners were organized for group tables for solos and posted on the boards in the lounge daily i.e

• Table for 12 reserved in Manhattan Room at 7:00 PM sign below to join
  • If more or less than 12 signed in the solo hostess wouyld change #'s accordingly
  • She also helped book and set up groups for specialty restaurants

Also; Solo passengers in any cabin...i.e. Balconies, suites etc.... were always allowed into the solo lounge to attend the happy hours. (This happy hour fulfilled the standard singles get together on all the other ships.)

Enjoy!!! it will be a great vacation:D I always travel solo since my partner passed several years ago and I always have a great time. My time is mine own, no trying to please others and do schedules. It is Freestyle after all and I like it like that. I have even had friends and family say they would go with me [God Forbid]...and I say...No No, Thats OK.:D

Thanks for the great information! I like the idea of having a sign up for dinner, makes it much easier to get to know other people. Did it seem like there were people of all ages at the happy hour meet?

18-80 on this cruise but I would say that more in the 35-55 age range:D

One thing to remember and this is important; Solo does not necessarily equate to single. Many solo passengers may be married or involved in committed relationships or dating steadily etc....but for whatever reason they are traveling alone...SOLO so relationships should always be based on camraderie to begin with. Many wives can't wait to go solo and leave grumpy hubby at home while they shop and have some fun....and Vice Versa

There are lots of people who've sailed Solo on Epic (I'm not one of them) and some really great reviews.

I just searched for this one because I thought it was great and I remember this woman posting a lot about the solo get togethers that she joined.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1667128&highlight=epic+solo

I'm sure you'll find more if you searched.

I think it's a bit hit and miss. The first time I went in 2011 there was a lot of younger solos. The last time there was a lot of older and much broader international passengers.

The "happy hour" is no more. The bar is manned during the solo meet but the prices are the same.

The first night meet is the intros and the second night the host normally arranges a group meal in taste. Both times there has been about 14 of us and then smaller groups gathered for meals on the remaining nights.

I do echo the previous posters comments though about solo and single. I was chatting to a lady who was recently separated, there wasn't many guys solo and she seemed to think me chatting was something else. :eek:

The host also tried to get us to sign up for the blind date type event!

When I went it was mostly old people. I am in my early 20s and I saw two people that were maybe late 20s, or early 30s. Sometimes they Epic felt a bit too busy/active and the studio lounge was such an amazing place to just relax and have a nice quiet spot. Also, the very last day when people are leaving the ship and you can't find a spot in the buffet; wow the studio lounge was empty and was awesome to just sit there and watch the TV while waiting for my number to be called to leave the ship.

The lounge had a bartender during happy hour, but otherwise there was a minifridge with snacks depending on the time of time. milk/pastries in the morning, packaged sandwiches around lunch (this was great when leaving for port days! Just grab a lunch and go). There were also muffins/cookies at night.

The coffee machine was pretty impressive (or I just have low standards). It was nice to get some more specialized drinks like cappuccino's at night and stuff.

One day, teppanyaki was half price for the studio group which I really liked. The organizer made things fun and it was easy to be a bit more social than I normally would be; Especially when most people were several decades older than me.

I found the studio rooms to be a really great experience. Sometimes it can be cheaper on the Epic to get a inside room for cheaper than a studio room (even after paying the double occupancy fee). But I still think it is worth it because of the lounge. Also, if you get an inside room, you can still go to the studio lounge during happy hour and sign up for events. But otherwise it is locked.

Thanks, that was my review!!! Any questions, just ask... :)

It was a great review and even though I've never cruised solo I found it really helpful and thought the OP would also. Thanks for doing it!

I know I want to cruise solo now but my husband won't let me:mad: He'd be too jealous that I got to go on vacation without him!

Archived