Port Taxes

travelbugBOP

We are looking to purchase an MSC 11 day western Mediterranean cruise using the MSC official web site and have noticed there is a huge difference in port taxes quoted on the Australian/NZ site (where we live) to the American site. The Australian/NZ site quotes port taxes of $NZ330 per passenger whereas the American site quotes port taxes of $US52.25 (which would equate to approximately $NZ70) per passenger for the same cruise. I have queried the Australian/NZ MSC agent as to why this is the case and their response has been that it is "usually just a variation between offices". This response just doesn't seem as though it can be correct as one would think port taxes would be consistent for all passengers. Has anyone come across this before, or have any knowledge about this, which might provide a better explanation for the huge difference?

We just booked our b2b northern europe recently with MSC. The gov't tax is $9.xx per person but when my TA sent me the invoice, they do break it down to $150 for port charges plus the $9.xx gov't tax. Their price showing on the website does include port charges already. For example:

Fare: $1199 per person x 2 = $2398

Tax: $10 per person x 2 = $20

Total = $2418

On invoice:

Fare: $1049 x 2 = $ $2098

Port charges $150 x 2 = $300

Tax: $10 x 2 = $20

Total = $2418

Total is still the same.

Archived