Cozumel day from 8am - 7pm

alschmid

So, I know all the discussion about doing the main land tours while in port, but those are the ones that look the best to me (I am definitely hoping to come back and do a land vacation here sometime)

since we are in port for 11 hours, does anyone think its worth it to do XCaret or Xel Ha for the day? Also was looking at secret river, but seems like RCCL isn't showing that excursion anymore (guessing its sold out). We want to do something different than just a beach day here, although, fall back would maybe do ATV tour/beach with seeing the San Gervaiso ruins.

Thoughts?

I would only do a mainland tour from Coz through the ship -- too many opportunities for a transportation issue that could cause you to miss the ship to try and see the ruins or something else on your own.

Good luck! :)

Yes, if I do a mainland tour, will probably go with the cruise line - although I like to do tours on my own, not worth the stress of timing things.

Just trying to choose what to do is difficult. Maybe I should just book a week in this area so I can do it all soon! :)

So, I know all the discussion about doing the main land tours while in port, but those are the ones that look the best to me (I am definitely hoping to come back and do a land vacation here sometime)

since we are in port for 11 hours, does anyone think its worth it to do XCaret or Xel Ha for the day? Also was looking at secret river, but seems like RCCL isn't showing that excursion anymore (guessing its sold out). We want to do something different than just a beach day here, although, fall back would maybe do ATV tour/beach with seeing the San Gervaiso ruins.

Thoughts?

Lucky you with an 11 hour port day. You can easily spend the day at XCaret park. There's something there for every body. If you decide to visit a mayan ruin, make It Tulum.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to do a mainland tour and are looking at Xcaret, I would look into XPLOR. Not sure what you like to do, but it has Zip lines, Cenotes, 4x4 buggies, kayak type of things through caves.....just pretty cool. It's located at Xcaret, but it's for the more 'adventurous'. Check it out. If I were to go to an eco-park from a ship in Cozumel, this would be the one I would choose. I also like Hidden Worlds, BUT it's much farther.

Yes, I would advise you to definately book an excursion from to the mainland (from Cozumel) through the ship. We just got back from our cruise, and we saw the ferry bringing people back to the port and people were still streaming on the ship from ferry 10 minutes before the ship departed. I don't know if they were an excursion through the ship or not, but that was really cutting it close. The ship pulled away from the dock at the exact time they said they would too.

As for staying on the Mainland for a week or so, I would highly recommend the AI resort - Barcelo. We stayed there a few years ago, and a friend in my office goes there once or twice a year. It's about 20 minutes from Playa Del Carman. The resort is very nice, has a great beach & pools, and the staff are very friendly.

We took one excursion when we were there, which we booked through the resort. It was a zipline/rapelling/snorkeling a cenote (cave), and tour of Tulum ruins. We had a really good time, and you don't have to worry about making it back to the ship when you are on a land excursion. We had plenty of time at each stop.

I have been to Xcaret, Xel Ha and Tulum. as well as "chicken Pizza" as some call it. They are all wonderful.

We are considering returning to Xcaret but we are there from 10:oo to 11:00 PM. If you go, it is wonderful but be sure not to stay for the final show and the dinner or you risk being left behind. I would catch the 7:00 ferry back to insure you make the ship.

Xel Ha and Tulum are about 35 miles further south and run a greater risk of missing the ferries.

Chichen Itza is a long drive and is almost a must to be taken by ship or by a tour group if you decide to come down for a week.

I visited all three by staying at an AI and using Grey line tours to arrange the trips. They are all wonderful and woud recommend doing the week.

In addition, if you are staying the week that will give you the opportunity to see the light show at Chichen which is a must as it recreates the solstice and shows how the priests manipulated the people by knowing when the great snake would appear. Confused? You won't be if you do the light show. Also, the Xcaret dinner and show would be great to see if you had more time.

Enjoy Cozumel and catch Cancun on another trip.

PS- While at Chichen, I stopped for a drink and they were out of strawberries for my daquari, the bartender said to wait a minitue and he came back with a freshly picked Mango and made me a fresh mango daquari, it was so awesome!

Have fun and don't rush the area there is so much to see, do and learn!

Archived