Christophe Reef Discovery - Snorkeling wit the whales

columbusnj

I recently took Christophe's Reef Discovery tour and had an amazing time and experience so I decided to write a review for trip advisor. I thought I would share it with Cruise Critic.

Christophe Reef Discovery tour is the best tour that I have ever been on. I took this tour on September 14th while visiting Bora Bora on a Paul Gaugin cruise. Christophe owns several boats and employs several tour guides which worked out well because used at least 3 boats just to accommodate the PG cruise members. Each boat comfortably holds 8 people. Our group had Simon for a tour guide, and he was very personable, caring, and knowledgeable. He was very informative and interesting, and made sure everyone was well taken cared for and safe. He guided us in the water (many operators do not do this) and helped anyone who needed assistance. Simon also wrote down our names to help him remember who each of us were. This helped create an atmosphere of friendliness for everyone.

We first snorkeled at the Coral Gardens which was beautiful. Simon pointed out a pregnant stingray. He then took us to snorkel with the Manta Rays, which are just magnificent. Simon explained to our group how we should snorkel in this area in order to get the best opportunity to see them and not scare them off. We saw several Manta Rays ranging between 12 to 15 feet wide. We were next supposed to snorkel in an area known for sting rays, but Simon found out that whales were spotted nearby so we went looking for whales instead. We saw 3 whales, 2 adults and a calf. While the rest of the boats left after 30 minutes or so, we followed the whales for another 2 plus hours and had the opportunity to snorkel with them. Seeing them from the boat was great, but snorkeling with them was truly amazing and an experience of a lifetime. I am still in awe of this experience. Later on in our cruise we took a whale watching tour in Moorea, but that tour did not compare with Christophe’s tour.

The group I was with were very lucky as everything just fell into place. Our 3 hour tour turned into a 6 hour tour. Simon loves the whales and is very knowledgeable about them. This turned out to be important as Simon told us how to snorkel around the whales so we did not scare them off. Simon did not have an afternoon tour booked so he was free to stay longer. Everyone on the boated wanted to stay; and Christophe was very generous by allow Simon and our group to stay.

I can't recommend Christophe's tour (and Simon) enough. I will do this tour again when I go back to Bora Bora.

Archived