NCL secrets they don't tell you about

dfilacch

Thanks for answering this one for me. We have been out of touch.

I'm not sure why NCL doesn't advertise the laundry facility. It's a wonderful thing!

I'm beginning to see that there are a LOT of things they don't tell you or advertise. The room bar set up is another one! Does anyone have a working email address for NCL? After a great deal of digging, I found an email address on their website, but was notified that it was one for their parent company, Orient, and that my email would be forwarded to the correct address, but they didn't let me know just what that email address was....

I'm beginning to see that there are a LOT of things they don't tell you or advertise. The room bar set up is another one! Does anyone have a working email address for NCL? After a great deal of digging, I found an email address on their website, but was notified that it was one for their parent company, Orient, and that my email would be forwarded to the correct address, but they didn't let me know just what that email address was....

Probably best to just call them. I too had looked for the NCL email address with no luck. I gave up!

Let us know if you locate a good email address!

Everyone has an email address at NCL. For general question calling is the preferred method. Believe it or not it is more difficult to staff customer service agents to reply to emails then answer phones.

Short of sending back form letters finding people that can write a sentence and spell is a challenge for all call centers.

Those things that they don't advertise are done as a courtesy:)

That said if you have special request like bar set up, health issues, meeting space that is all handled by the passenger courtesy coordinator for each ship.

Email for them is by ship

passengercourtesydawn@ncl.com

passengercourtesyjewel@ncl.com

etc.

Everyone has an email address at NCL. For general question calling is the preferred method. Believe it or not it is more difficult to staff customer service agents to reply to emails then answer phones.

Short of sending back form letters finding people that can write a sentence and spell is a challenge for all call centers.

Those things that they don't advertise are done as a courtesy:)

That said if you have special request like bar set up, health issues, meeting space that is all handled by the passenger courtesy coordinator for each ship.

Email for them is by ship

passengercourtesydawn@ncl.com

passengercourtesyjewel@ncl.com

etc.

Thanks for your EXCELLENT information!

Thanks Shoreguy for the info on contacting the passenger courtesy coordinator via email.

My next cruise is several months away and with your help I will know how to get the ball rolling on a great CC meeting onboard the Star in Alaska this summer.

Marilyn

My wife and I cruise a lot, usually from NY where we can drvie to the port. Since we only have one suit case each, we bring the thrid small piece and put a case of water in it still in the cardbard shrink wrap. I pad it with extra shoes and sneakers and give it to the porter right after we get to the pier.

The small case goes inside my bigger one and then under the bed. We then use it to carry off anything we bought plus our last nights toiletry bad and clothes. It works really well and we have plenty of water to get us through.....

What great tips!!! Please keep them coming.

There's popcorn in Pearly Kings!! Take some to the movies with you. :D

Of course - don't eat it on the way to the theatre otherwise you may not have any to eat during the movie. LOL

G

I heard that they stopped serving the popcorn in the Pearly Kings right after our cruise on October 9 on the Dawn.

Jackie:cool:

Heard the water on the cruise is good, but not to drink from the sink in your room?

And someone said something about a bar set up. Is this in all rooms?

The water is perfectly fine from the faucet. If you have doubts you can verify this thru any TA or by picking up the phone to the cruiseline. :)

Heard the water on the cruise is good, but not to drink from the sink in your room?

And someone said something about a bar set up. Is this in all rooms?

The bar set-up is available - doesn't matter what cabin category you have booked. I don't have a note of the number to call but you'll be able to find it on a number of threads, or someone else may be able to provide it. The cost for a bottle of spirits is $40 or $55 depending on brand and there is a single $3 charge for arranging this.

The bar set-up is available - doesn't matter what cabin category you have booked. I don't have a note of the number to call but you'll be able to find it on a number of threads, or someone else may be able to provide it. The cost for a bottle of spirits is $40 or $55 depending on brand and there is a single $3 charge for arranging this.

Bar service 1-866-625-1159 :)

I heard that they stopped serving the popcorn in the Pearly Kings right after our cruise on October 9 on the Dawn.

We heard the popcorn became a major problem during the school breaks. Popcorn all over the ship!

Should be ok when schools are in session:confused:

I response to the question about the specialty restaurants, I would have to say that I didn't think that the meals were worth $40 that the two of us had to pay. The food in the main dining room was very comparable and had wonderful choices each evening. We chose to eat at Endless Summer on Thursday night because we felt like the menu in the main dining room was the least interesting of the week. We were on the Star last week. Just arrived home today!

Interesting-My wife & I thought all 4 meals we had(2 Le Bistro,1 Il Adaggio,1 Teppanyaki) were all worth $75-100 easily.We thought the main dining food was average (C+ at best),but the escargots at LeBistro was THE best I've ever had at sea,and Top 3 anywhere all-time....wet thought the difference between the specialty reataurants and the food & service in the main dining rooms was like the difference between a Holiday In & a Ritz-Carlton or between a Chevy and a Lexus....After 12 cruises,they still rank 1,2 and 4 all-time on my Top Dinners on a cruise ship of all time......

Big Al

Interesting-My wife & I thought all 4 meals we had(2 Le Bistro,1 Il Adaggio,1 Teppanyaki) were all worth $75-100 easily.We thought the main dining food was average (C+ at best),but the escargots at LeBistro was THE best I've ever had at sea,and Top 3 anywhere all-time....wet thought the difference between the specialty reataurants and the food & service in the main dining rooms was like the difference between a Holiday In & a Ritz-Carlton or between a Chevy and a Lexus....After 12 cruises,they still rank 1,2 and 4 all-time on my Top Dinners on a cruise ship of all time......

Big Al

The main dining rooms were really great. We were thinking that we had no need to try Le Bistro. But when our kids asked to go, we reserved it. While the main dining room were 'really great', Le Bistro was awesome. - And we heard the same thing from several others on board and from several CC posters, as well. We loved the filet mignon and chocolate fondue.

I heard they are no longer going to ports of calls with beaches because the sand is getting all over the carpet, and they are no longer serving coffee, because people take it around the ship and stain the carpet.

The popcorn excuse is the most rediculous thing I heard. People who have been on the Dawn a number of times over the past three years know better--that very quietly and subtly, they are removing "extras" from the ship.

Three years ago--hay one year ago--they had those nice dessert tables and fruit carving stations at dinner in the buffet rooom. No longer.

The first year, they had shrimp cocktail at dinner in the buffet room--no longer.

I can go on and on.

The Dawn is still a great ship, but they are clearly cutting back at the fringe. Wonder when people will start noticing.

I heard they are no longer going to ports of calls with beaches because the sand is getting all over the carpet, and they are no longer serving coffee, because people take it around the ship and stain the carpet.

The popcorn excuse is the most rediculous thing I heard. People who have been on the Dawn a number of times over the past three years know better--that very quietly and subtly, they are removing "extras" from the ship.

Three years ago--hay one year ago--they had those nice dessert tables and fruit carving stations at dinner in the buffet rooom. No longer.

The first year, they had shrimp cocktail at dinner in the buffet room--no longer.

I can go on and on.

The Dawn is still a great ship, but they are clearly cutting back at the fringe. Wonder when people will start noticing.

I did notice. A lot of very small things were missing. Nothing major unless it's major to you. I always keep some small straws/stirrers for my drinks in my suitcase because I like to drink anything with ice in it from a straw. There wasn't one to be found on board. Also it was hard to track down a regular straw in the Garden Cafe. The only place I found them was in the kid's section. They now have wooden stirrers for drinks or big straws for tall drinks, no little ones for rock drinks. They don't have the NCL plastic stirrers anymore either. Little things, but noticeable to repeaters. No more Mr. & Mrs. T's Bloody Mary mix. They've replaced it with a cheaper brand. Last time we had Absolute in our room, this time the only vodka they offered was Gilbeys. I also heard they stopped the buckets of beer and the popcorn. Not sure if they're offering any food at all in Pearly Kings. I was told the drink prices were going up after our cruise in October and someone else told me the Marini Clinic is still the same price, but you only get 3 martinis instead of 5.

These minor things won't stop us from going on the Dawn again, but they are noticeable. The prices for the specialty restaurants also increased from our first cruise on the Dawn.

We did pay more for the same cabin we had last time, but it was for 10 days instead of 7. I guess price increases and cutbacks are everywhere.

I did notice. A lot of very small things were missing. Nothing major unless it's major to you. I always keep some small straws/stirrers for my drinks in my suitcase because I like to drink anything with ice in it from a straw. There wasn't one to be found on board. Also it was hard to track down a regular straw in the Garden Cafe. The only place I found them was in the kid's section. They now have wooden stirrers for drinks or big straws for tall drinks, no little ones for rock drinks. They don't have the NCL plastic stirrers anymore either. Little things, but noticeable to repeaters. No more Mr. & Mrs. T's Bloody Mary mix. They've replaced it with a cheaper brand. Last time we had Absolute in our room, this time the only vodka they offered was Gilbeys. I also heard they stopped the buckets of beer and the popcorn. Not sure if they're offering any food at all in Pearly Kings. I was told the drink prices were going up after our cruise in October and someone else told me the Marini Clinic is still the same price, but you only get 3 martinis instead of 5.

These minor things won't stop us from going on the Dawn again, but they are noticeable. The prices for the specialty restaurants also increased from our first cruise on the Dawn.

We did pay more for the same cabin we had last time, but it was for 10 days instead of 7. I guess price increases and cutbacks are everywhere.

Gee...let me think.....I guess I paid more for my 2001 Honda than I did for my 1967 Pontiac Firebird too!! :D

"I did notice. A lot of very small things were missing. Nothing major unless it's major to you. I always keep some small straws/stirrers for my drinks in my suitcase because I like to drink anything with ice in it from a straw. There wasn't one to be found on board. Also it was hard to track down a regular straw in the Garden Cafe. The only place I found them was in the kid's section. They now have wooden stirrers for drinks or big straws for tall drinks, no little ones for rock drinks. They don't have the NCL plastic stirrers anymore either. Little things"

Because plastic pollutes the ocean and does not decompose. Fish also will eat straws. :eek: Wooden stirrers do decompose.

The point is:

While the price of the Dawn has gone up, they have cut back on nice extras that only the repeat customers would notice.

Another nice extra gone from the first cruise: Minute steaks at the sailaway; ribs at the bar b que.

Also, several years ago the Majesty offered free sushi twice. Now you pay for it.

Because plastic pollutes the ocean and does not decompose. Fish also will eat straws. :eek: Wooden stirrers do decompose.

I totally agree with you there. I still use the little plastic straws, but I do wash and reuse them.

I guess I paid more for my 2001 Honda than I did for my 1967 Pontiac Firebird too!

And I bet the Firebird was metal.... 67 Firebird would be nice now.

I would not let any of the little things stop me from sailing the Dawn. Have always had a great time on her.

A nice place for a little privacy and quiet time is the hot tub and sunning area behind the Bimini Bar. Not too crowded unless there are a lot of people that find out about it.

The point is:

While the price of the Dawn has gone up, they have cut back on nice extras that only the repeat customers would notice.

Another nice extra gone from the first cruise: Minute steaks at the sailaway; ribs at the bar b que.

Also, several years ago the Majesty offered free sushi twice. Now you pay for it.

Wow, I didn't even realize the ribs were missing until I read this. They sure are. Well, I had plenty of food so I guess I didn't even notice.

If you have sailed with NCL before, you can get a discount (15 or 20%) at one of the bars on the ship (if not all of them -- I am not sure). You just show your card. You are a Latitudes member if you have sailed with NCL before. If you don't have a card, I think you can get one at pre-boarding or at the reception desk.

I bring along a small, lunch-size cooler to take on excursions. I have a little rubbermaid container to fill with ice for the bottom of the cooler (no leaks) or use a Zip-lock baggie -- great for cheese or other snacky items.

If you have sailed with NCL before, you can get a discount (15 or 20%) at one of the bars on the ship (if not all of them -- I am not sure). You just show your card. You are a Latitudes member if you have sailed with NCL before. If you don't have a card, I think you can get one at pre-boarding or at the reception desk.

I bring along a small, lunch-size cooler to take on excursions. I have a little rubbermaid container to fill with ice for the bottom of the cooler (no leaks) or use a Zip-lock baggie -- great for cheese or other snacky items.

You an call Latitudes and they will be glad to send your cards if you haven't gotten them. It takes about 4-6 weeks. It is great to get discounts on drinks!

This was in the Latitudes letter they sent to our room the first day.....

Special onboard privileges for Latitudes members:

Spinnaker Lounge: 20% discount on well drinks, beer & wine by the glass on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday between 5pm & 8pm. Please advise of membership at time of ordering.

Mandara Spa: Port day special...receive a $20 discount off any full price body & facial treatment. Not valid in conjunction with any other promotion.

Digital Seas Internet Cafe: Receive 15 free minutes with a purchased block of 100 minutes for $55 OR 30 Minutes free with a purchased block of 250 minutes for $100. You must see the internet manager to take advantage of this special before you log on.

Archived