Amalfi and dangerous road

brian_uk

I see that Oceania are only offering the scenic drives to Positano on certain dates. Is this because the roads are too crowded in Summer or too dangerous.

My wife hates Scenic Drives and I am wondering whether there are any good Tours which she could be persuaded were safe. We have heard so much about this route.

We have also been told that in Summer the road is just jammed and not worth attempting.

Help please

Brian

Hi Brian

We stayed in Positano for four nights. From there we took the local bus (I think it was 1 or 2 euros) to Ravello. It went along the scenic Amalfi Coast. My husband would've never taken the chance of driving but we figured since the bus driver drove it back and forth everyday he knew what he was doing.

I hate going on drives just to see scenery but this drive was well worth seeing.

As far as being crowded, we were there in September. I did not think traffic was as heavy as when we were on the roads near Monte Carlo. Keep in mind that on the Amalfi road, buses cannot pass each other on the turns. That's when traffic does need to stop.

Since we had been to Sorrento on a previous visit, we did not take the bus from Positano to Sorrento. When we dock in Sorrento you can take the local bus and get off at the top of Positano. It's an easy walk down the winding streets. Lots of shops on the way down. You can spend as much or as little time browsing through the town and return whenever you wish (catch the bus at the bottom). There is also a beautiful hotel right on the outskirts of the town (San Pietro). The views from there are spectacular.

As far as getting to Capri in the afternoon, that's possible. However, if the water is rough I've heard the hydrofoil does not run. Although since the ship is docked in Sorrento overnight - if you get stuck in Capri, you could always spend the night!

My husband and I have been to Capri but my brother and his wife have not. I've been debating whether or not to head to Capri early in the morning and then wandering through the streets of Sorrento in the evening. If you have not been to Pompeii, that's an easy train ride from Sorrento. We took that tour on a previous cruise.

I've heard a couple people mention that Oceania did not dock in Amalfi (another one of our ports) but instead docked in Naples due to the weather. If this would be our situation there is a hydrofoil right at the dock so that we could get to Capri. Unfortunately, Amalfi is the stop after Sorrento so we probably would not know beforehand.

Decision, decisions. Too bad we did not have 2 nights in Sorrento!

See you soon!

Renee

Hi Renee

Your idea of going inthe morning to Capri seems very sensible and we will certainly talk that over.

Your other ideas are great too and we wil prob take the bus.

Cant wait

Brian

The Amalfi coast is all curves and scenery..

We had hired a car/driver in a van and felt really comfortable.. but there were buses (50 passenger ala ship tours) that actually at some points could be seen backing up to make the turns.. wouldn't have felt great if I was on it.

If you pass on the tour of the coast.. Sorrento town is wonderful just to be in.

Capri is also a good alternative. If you have never been to Pompei that is another idea for you.

have fun whatever you do.

P.S. yes in summer the coast roads can be jammed.. ;-)

Archived