Oasis 9170 for 4 people?

Willow3006

Hi there

We had booked for myself and my husband and our 16 month old twin boys to have a balcony cabin on Oasis and were told that as the family cabins were all booked out, we could go in a normal D4 cabin. We booked with virgincruises and they assured us it would be fine and two P&Ps would fit in there.

Having sailed in a D4 I wasn't convinced so asked Virgin to get it in writing that it would be fine for all of us to be in there. When they requested this from RC, they were then told that actually we couldn't fit in there at all. virgin complained for us and they said that as RC had told Virgin we could then they would find us another room with no extra cost as I refused to pay the extra £2k for a junior suite.

They have now told us they can put is in 9170 which is a disability access room and I have accepted.

Has anyone had any experience of this room? I presume it's a little larger and that's why we will fit. Are there any other modifications or are they basically the same as a D4 but with access features and handles, etc.

Willow x

Hi there

We had booked for myself and my husband and our 16 month old twin boys to have a balcony cabin on Oasis and were told that as the family cabins were all booked out, we could go in a normal D4 cabin. We booked with virgincruises and they assured us it would be fine and two P&Ps would fit in there.

Having sailed in a D4 I wasn't convinced so asked Virgin to get it in writing that it would be fine for all of us to be in there. When they requested this from RC, they were then told that actually we couldn't fit in there at all. virgin complained for us and they said that as RC had told Virgin we could then they would find us another room with no extra cost as I refused to pay the extra £2k for a junior suite.

They have now told us they can put is in 9170 which is a disability access room and I have accepted.

Has anyone had any experience of this room? I presume it's a little larger and that's why we will fit. Are there any other modifications or are they basically the same as a D4 but with access features and handles, etc.

Willow x

I dont know how your agent is able to book a cabin for 4 people in cabins that only hold 2 people.

according to the deck plans--- you should see a triangle in the cabin that holds 4 people.

According to the deck plan this cabin only holds two people. Is the agent not counting the kids?

everyone needs a bed-- that is how is should be booked.

when are you looking for the cruise? what date?

Hi

Well, that's the thing. They don't really need a bed as they can sleep in the pack and play cots, they'll only be 1 and a half years old - just like if we had 1 baby we'd only book a room for 2 people and the baby would use the pack n play. But as we have twins we need room for 2 pack n plays which is why they have now given us a larger disabled access room.

It's all booked but I just wanted to know others views of the room if they have been in one before.

Hi

Well, that's the thing. They don't really need a bed as they can sleep in the pack and play cots, they'll only be 1 and a half years old - just like if we had 1 baby we'd only book a room for 2 people and the baby would use the pack n play. But as we have twins we need room for 2 pack n plays which is why they have now given us a larger disabled access room.

It's all booked but I just wanted to know others views of the room if they have been in one before.

no, each baby is a person and will be counted as such. Although they may share a bed-- the cabin MUST be able to fit four people.

You can not book a cabin for two people in the hopes the babies will fit in there. You MUST book a cabin for 4 people.

If you are booking for only 2 and show up with 4 (with 2 of them being infants) you can be denied boarding

Are you aware that babies pay just as much as a grown person?

there is no discounts for infants.

are you explaining to your agent that you have two babies but only want a cabin that holds the two parents?

that agent should explain cruising cabins do not work that way.

ALl bodies must be accounted for.

most all cabins are the same size. Handicapped cabins usually only hold 2 people.

one pack and play will take up precious floor space- can not even imagine two of them in there unless you get a suite.

They are listed and I have an email from RC themselves saying that they often book a room for 2 when the children are under 2. They also say that they don't charge the same amount for babies - it is less than half price.

Lisa

I was on the Oasis and a handicap room was next to ours. I looked in and made a commit to my husband wished we had that room because it was much larger than ours. They have to be able to handle wheelchairs so

it was larger. I am sure the bathroom was too. If I were you I would take it.

I truly think the regular balcony rooms are too small for more than 2 people.

Have fun and enjoy your trip.

I was on the Oasis and a handicap room was next to ours. I looked in and made a commit to my husband wished we had that room because it was much larger than ours. They have to be able to handle wheelchairs so

it was larger. I am sure the bathroom was too. If I were you I would take it.

I truly think the regular balcony rooms are too small for more than 2 people.

Have fun and enjoy your trip.

But if course that does mean that somebody who needs a wheelchair cabin (scooters and wheelchairs don't fit through the doors or normal cabins) will not be able to cruise.

I don't blame the OP, because Royal Caribbean offered her the cabin as the most workable solution to her dilemma, but I certainly think in general it is a very selfish thing to do to book a HA cabin just because it has more space. And they are less desirable in other ways (shower just runs all across the floor, the fixtures are all lower than an able bodied person is likely to want, and they often have less closet space.)

seems strange that the cruise lines will book 4 people in a cabin that only holds two people.

(for one I thought it was against the cruise law or something- ya learn something new all the time)

But if course that does mean that somebody who needs a wheelchair cabin (scooters and wheelchairs don't fit through the doors or normal cabins) will not be able to cruise.

I don't blame the OP, because Royal Caribbean offered her the cabin as the most workable solution to her dilemma, but I certainly think in general it is a very selfish thing to do to book a HA cabin just because it has more space. And they are less desirable in other ways (shower just runs all across the floor, the fixtures are all lower than an able bodied person is likely to want, and they often have less closet space.)

Actually per the OP's post the HC cabin was booked by their TA and RCCL did not offer it to them. The TA should not have booked the HC cabin unless the booking date was after the final payment period.

For all cruises departing from a USA port the passengers have to now certify that someone in that cabin has a mobility or physical disability that requires the needs for the features of the HC cabin as there was a new federal law that went into effect on Janaury 1. 2012 that TA's ( including TA's outside of the USA) must follow when booking HC cabins on ships departing from a USA port. Refer to the synopsis of the law below.

As of January 1, 2012 a new Federal Law under the Department of Transportation ( commonly referred to as DOT) became effective that requires that the
the cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin
. Though this new regulation came about in 2010/2011, the cruise lines were granted until January 1, 2012 to completely comply with these new regulations. Because of this new law Cruise lines have also had to reclassify its HC cabins. Some of the key points to this new law are:

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Under this new law the only time it's acceptable for an able body person to book an HC cabin is after the final payment period has past and any unsold HC cabins are than open to the general public for booking.

So if the booking was made prior to the final payment period it's possible that the TA submitted the forms to secure the HC cabin knowing full well that the OP does not have a disability that requires the feature of the room. Unfortunately this is done quite frequently and is the vary reason the USA Federal went into effect. However it again needs to be stressed that if the booking was made after the final payment period than it's OK under the law for an able body person to book a HC Cabin when the ship departs from a USA Port .... but only than is it Ok for for an able body person to book an HC cabin on a ship departing from USA port.

pi asked on the royal board coz i am vert confused regarding this booking.

thought it was the law or something that ships built after 2000 something that each cabin must hold the people.

for a ship as large as the oasis= how does 4 persons get booked into a cabin that only holds two people.

i am concern that this agent does not have a clue to the way it works

for a ship as large as the oasis= how does 4 persons get booked into a cabin that only holds two people.

Cabin #9170 on Oasis holds 4 people. If you look at the deck plan, it has a solid black diamond symbol, which means it has a sofa bed plus an additional pullman bed.

To the OP...this cabin will have a lot more floor space than a normal balcony cabin...93 square feet more. That's about 50% bigger and very close to the floor space of a JS. A normal "D" balcony cabin has 182 sq ft, and your HC balcony cabin will have 275 sq ft. Two pack and plays will not be a problem. You'll have plenty of room.

What will be different for you is the bathroom. It's much larger than a "D" balcony bathroom, and yes, it will have grab bars and different water handles for the sink. The toilet will be higher than what you're used to since it's built for easy transfer from wheelchair to toilet. The shower is designed for a wheelchair to roll into it, so it's large and very different from what you've had before. (You might want to buy a little blow-up "pool" and bring it for bathing your boys.) The sink is very low. It's at the right level for somebody seated in a wheelchair to use comfortably. (If I were standing in front of it, it would hit me about mid thigh...my challenge would be bending over it that far to wash my face.)

Also, the closet will be different. The bar for hanging clothes is lower, so that someone sitting in a wheelchair can reach it. (So leave the ball gown at home.:p)

Judy

Hi there

Willow x

I found a YouTube video that shows cabin 9162, which is identical to 9170. The only difference is that 9170 has a sofa bed and a pullman that comes down from the ceiling, and those differences are really not noticeable.

This is kind of a looooong video that could have been a lot shorter, and it's shot from the perspective of a person in a wheelchair so the shots are from a rather low angle that is strange to those of us who are upright and able-bodied. It does show the HC accessible balcony cabin, and it will give you a good concept of the space you have to work with. Also it shows the bathroom.

I think you'll have plenty of space, even with 2 pack 'n plays. You'll just have to adjust to a very different bathroom than what you've had before, and a different kind of closet, but you can do that for a week. Have a wonderful cruise!:)

Judy

Foxgoodrich - that is exactly the information I was looking for!! Thanks so much for this and for the reassurance - was getting worried there for a mo!!

I think you'll be fine in this cabin - you saw the floor space! The floor space gives you plenty of room for the 2 P&Ps at night, you have a balcony, and you and your husband will adjust to the differences in the bathroom for a week. :p (The boys won't care about that!;))

We've traveled with a toddler (13 mos) granddaughter before and she had a ball on the ship. We were not on Oasis, but this will probably be true there too - we discovered that the Champagne Bar opens a little later in the day than some of the other bars, so it made a great morning 'toddle zone' for us with nobody in there. There was open space and little sofas for climbing up on. She also loved to 'run' down the long corridors, so we would pick a time in the afternoon when there were no cabin steward carts on our hall and few people around, and let her run. There was a Fisher Price Play Group that we took her to and we could check out toys to bring back to the cabin and swap them out each day. I wish we'd had the carousel that Oasis has...she would have LOVED that! Also the kids swimming area on Oasis & Allure is very colorful and wonderful (I wanted to borrow somebody's kid to go play in there!) and there is a special water play area for kids still in diapers.

Have a great cruise!

Judy

Archived