Cell phone service

Lulubelle45

yes there is cell phone service on the ship. It is expensive since you will be in roaming. You need to call your cell phone provider to find out the exact raite but typically a call is $2.49 per minute .50 to send a text and .05 to recieve a text. Data is a whole other issue. If you want to pay for a international data plan then that will definitely help with the cost. If you do not want to have data charges you will need to turn your data off.

You might want to ask your internet question on the holland board. They would have more up todate information on the internet charges.

I am Canadian also. My cell carrier is Bell. Last time I checked, they do not have any sort of package that covers cruise ships. International plans do not cover cruise ships!

In other words you are at the mercy of the roaming rate. Its also hard to get an international plan that works for every place you are going, because different countries are diferent rates. Best to check with your phone carrier.

As for wi-fi, there is a link on left of this page about communications:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Accessible+Cruising#

Call your cell phone provider and tell them exactly where you are going. They will tell you the cost per minute and whether there are any packages you can buy to reduce that cost.

Although the ship provides repeaters, your cost for cell service (as opposed to wifi) will be billed by your provider.

HAL has various packages for internet - I believe they are posted on the website, otherwise ask on the HAL board.

Archived