A day in New York - need some help

krisean

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and information. It sounds like Yankee Stadium might best be dropped altogether or perhaps Sunday morning before we go to the port.

Since we are planning to start our day at Statue/Ellis, would it make sense to also check for hotels in the Financial district? I have been looking at midtown, Times, Madison Square, Empire Blding areas on priceline... wondering if I should include Financial district. And I am bumping my price.

Thanks again!

We are cruising out of NY on the Miracle on Dec 24. We are spending two nights(Sat & Sun) in Manhattan(East Midtown) before the cruise and one night after the cruise(Midtown). I booked all three nights on Hotwire and spent less than $150 per night for 4 star hotels. So it is possible.

This will be too late probably for the original poster but for those of you just now checking this out, may I recommend a GrayLine tour that will provide first-time visitors to NYC a terrific "overview" of Manhattan. My DH and I thought our 8-hour Comprehensive Manhattan GrayLine tour to be great. We were able to "see" the main tourist sights, but we did not have to drive. We could look, both of us, and take pictures. We did not have to worry about routes, one-way streets, traffic, parking, entrance fees, etc. Plus, we had an informative tour guide "walking" us through. :D

We stopped at a downtown cathedral, across the street from Grant's Tomb; visited Twin Towers site; ate lunch in Little Italy; spent one hour on a harbor cruise; and finished with a trip to the Top of the Rock (no waiting in line for this).

Since our weather was spectacular, the harbor cruise itself, with its closeup of the Statue of Liberty, was worth the cost of the tour all by itself! Highly recommend this means of visiting the Big Apple for the first time, precruise.

Next visit, we can pick and choose the museums or other historical attractions we want to spend longer time in. :)

We are cruising out of NY on the Miracle on Dec 24. We are spending two nights(Sat & Sun) in Manhattan(East Midtown) before the cruise and one night after the cruise(Midtown). I booked all three nights on Hotwire and spent less than $150 per night for 4 star hotels. So it is possible.

Wow! And at Christmas? Which hotels are they?

• 2 months later...
Hi - DH and I are cruising out of Bayonne on Oct 28. We are flying into LGA on Oct 26. We have never been in NYC before and would like to spend Oct 27 doing the tourist things! The plan is stay in a hotel in the Times Square area on Friday and Saturday nights, then head to the pier on Sunday. I have a ton of questions and appreciate any and all feedback (including "what are you thinking... that will never work").

1) We would like to see Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, WTC, Yankee Stadium (unless Yankees are in the World Series), then spend the late afternoon/evening in Times Square and the Empire state building. Is all of this realistic in 1 day. We figured to do things in the order I have listed above.

2) How do I get from place to place most efficiently? I know next to nothing about NYC public transportation. Can the subway be used to get to and from the places listed, or do you need to use cabs? We thought about renting a car but thought parking might be difficult.

3) Hotel - I was thinking of staying in the Times Square area because it is centrally located. I read on another thread that Marriot, Sheraton and Staybridge have reasonably priced hotels in that area, and to use Midtown Cental on Priceline's search?? Are any other areas better to stay? Will hotels have free shuttles from LGA? I would like to stay under $150 per night.

4) Best way to get from hotel to port would be car service? What should I expect to pay?

5) Upon return on Nov 4, car service from port to LGA is best? This will run about $100? I just found out that the marathon is that Sunday. Is that going to impact travel to LGA significantly? My flight leaves at 12:55.

Thanks!

Krisean... We have a similar trip planned Feb 2013... Just wanted to see how everything worked out???? How was the Hotel?? Which Holiday Inn Express did you stay at? How was the sightseeing?? And any tips on transportation to the airport??? Thanks a ton!!

Archived