really worth getting off at Grand Cayman? please read on

herecomesthesun

I have already been to Grand Cayman before, on my last cruise. I had a great time - we did a tour of Hell (cheesy) and the Turtle Farm (kind of fun) and Stingray City (awesome!) The only thing I would do again is Stingray City, but honestly I think once you've done it one time, there's no need to do it again.

I am pretty sure my ship (Mariner) is only going to be there until 2pm or around there, and since I've already been to Grand Cayman, should I even plan on getting off the ship? We are also going to Cozumel, Ocho Rios, and Labadee, and planning on just having beach days there for the most part.

What do you think? Is it worth it to go to Grand Cayman, or would I be better off just enjoying life onboard? If I did get off, I woud probably just go to a beach.

Grand Cayman is such a beautiful island, the people are friendly, the water is amazing, and it's pretty easy to get around.

I would suggest getting off and heading to Seven Mile Beach. I posted an extensive review of Rum Point, but if you only have a short day in GC, you probably wouldn't have enough time to get there and enjoy it.

• 3 months later...

I'm with you... our ship is doing a short stop in Belize (also been there before) from 6:30am & leaving at 1:30pm... we are turning it into a SEA day & sleeping late. Since we have a port intensive itinerary, we will need the rest... Majahual, Belize, Grand Cayman, & Cozumel. Nothing wrong with saving money, energy, & enjoying all of your options to the maximum potential!

Of course, it's up to you. If you just want to get off the ship and get some exercise, get off the tender and walk to your right. About a mile and a half down the road, you will come to Smith's Cove. The first time we visited, we were the only ones there. In June, we had to "share" with 12 people! Anyway, there are no facilities except for a bathroom, but it's a beautiful small beach.

I just got back from Grand Cayman aboard the Empress. We did the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point excursion with Nativeway. They were wonderful. Rum Point is absolutely amazing and I would go there again in a heartbeat, even if it were only for an hour or two. If I were you, I'd check some of the independent tour companys to see if you can just do a Rum Point. If they take you by boat, it is much shorter than driving over.

Are you doing the Western Caribbean itinerary on the Mariner? If so, take advantage of Grand Cayman's beauty and cleanliness, enjoy a day at the beach or strolling around the shops. If you're going to skip a port, I'd skip Ocho Rios or Cozumel rather than Grand Cayman.

I would get off,eventhough I have been there many times. If nothing else just for the chance to walkaround some. Since you don't have anything planned, it isn't like you would be in a hurry to get there on the tender. Take a camera, take some great pictures since you can enjoy the Tender ride. Walk around a little. Get a bottle of Rum for a friend. Make it a fun carefree mini trip. Just my opinion.

why not rent a scooter and scoot around the island to the other end of 7 mile beach. It's beautiful! There is a public beach there.

I wish these cruise ships would stay longer then 1 or 2:00 on these beautiful islands.

I just went on the Valor and it stayed long enough at every port. We watched all the other crusie ships leave each day.

Archived