Royal Princess Aft & Caribe-like Balconies - Photo

5:00_Somewhere

Dave, I followed and loved your "Everything Royal Princess" and hated when they closed it down. Now I lurk around and just look for things interesting about Royal. I have a question now about the aft balcony's....we have R735 booked for the 11/17 Royal cruise and after reading the thread here, I am a bit concerned about the soot issue. Do you or anyone else that has been in the Royal in the aft cabins, know for sure if there is a soot problem?? If so, I still have time to change to a different cabin (D4) or maybe upgrade to a mini somewhere else. I LOVE sitting out on the balcony watching the wake, but never even considered there would be a soot issue. Thanks.

Dave, I followed and loved your "Everything Royal Princess" and hated when they closed it down. Now I lurk around and just look for things interesting about Royal. I have a question now about the aft balcony's....we have R735 booked for the 11/17 Royal cruise and after reading the thread here, I am a bit concerned about the soot issue. Do you or anyone else that has been in the Royal in the aft cabins, know for sure if there is a soot problem?? If so, I still have time to change to a different cabin (D4) or maybe upgrade to a mini somewhere else. I LOVE sitting out on the balcony watching the wake, but never even considered there would be a soot issue. Thanks.

Hi granna22!

I have not heard any reports in reviews of Royal Princess regarding soot issues on aft decks, but that does't mean that it won't happen. There are a pair of 'wings' on the funnel that I believe are suppose to provide an updraft so that smoke and soot are directed further away from the ship. Also, wind direction etc. may play a factor.

Here is an aft picture with all of the cabins labeled. You have a pretty good sized balcony so you'll have to weigh the factors and determine if the risk is worth the real estate. If it were me I'd probably keep the cabin.

9045375437_ef51990d4b_o.jpg

Does anyone know the actual size of the aft balcony? I have seen several different sizes mentioned... we are in D728 which is a D4... on December 8th... It is not a deal breaker for me, as we booked the ship because it looked so beautiful (thanks Dave).. and because it was a new ship, but it would be nice to know how big it is..

Thanks for your help..

Jackie (cruisehappygal)

Hi granna22!

I have not heard any reports in reviews of Royal Princess regarding soot issues on aft decks, but that does't mean that it won't happen. There are a pair of 'wings' on the funnel that I believe are suppose to provide an updraft so that smoke and soot are directed further away from the ship. Also, wind direction etc. may play a factor.

Here is an aft picture with all of the cabins labeled. You have a pretty good sized balcony so you'll have to weigh the factors and determine if the risk is worth the real estate. If it were me I'd probably keep the cabin.

9045375437_ef51990d4b_o.jpg

Dave, thanks for your quick response. As usual your a wealth of information. I appreciate your opinion. DH and I are going to stay with our Aft cabin. I feel a lot better about our location. :):)

Hope we get to meet you a cruise someday. Happy sailing on your upcoming cruise.:)

Does anyone know the actual size of the aft balcony? I have seen several different sizes mentioned... we are in D728 which is a D4... on December 8th... It is not a deal breaker for me, as we booked the ship because it looked so beautiful (thanks Dave).. and because it was a new ship, but it would be nice to know how big it is..

Thanks for your help..

Jackie (cruisehappygal)

We have D729 booked for the Maiden TA. The balconies on Baja and Dolphin should be very similar the the Grand class Caribe deck balconies, 9'x9' and 5' covered/4' uncovered.

we are booked sept in M 727 I see the picture has a flag just above

has anyone been in M727 on Royal is it a concern

I missed that when we booked gesh!

Thanks Dan

Hi Dan,

The flag is only flown in port and not while the ship is at sea. I've seen pictures of the hanging flag taken from the Marina Deck balconies and it didn't appear to intrude down into your 'space' like you think it might.

Also here is a post from Lynn and Rob from their cruise showing what the Marina Deck balcony looks like from the aft Lido Deck looking down. It's sort of reminiscent of looking down at the Dolphin Deck balconies on the Grand-class ships.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39386381&postcount=1805

Does anyone know what the white space is that goes down the center of the aft? is it storage for the room stewards or a staircase for the crew or just nothing?

Thanks!

I've seen a lot of guessing as to what that may be, but as far as I know no one who has been on the ship has actually 100% confirmed what it is or taken a picture down that sideways corridor where that is.

Does anyone know what the white space is that goes down the center of the aft? is it storage for the room stewards or a staircase for the crew or just nothing?

Thanks!

There is something there but I won't be able to check it out until September 27th. The bonus is that the center D4 cabin balconies on Marina, Riviera, Aloha and Caribe decks split that space and they are larger.

We have D729 booked for the Maiden TA. The balconies on Baja and Dolphin should be very similar the the Grand class Caribe deck balconies, 9'x9' and 5' covered/4' uncovered.

Hi Brian!

Counting down the days yet? Hope you enjoy your balcony and don't forget to take lots of pictures from it! :D

Here's another picture from a different angle showing the 'covered/uncovered' part you mentioned:

9391397190_06541f215d_b.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

Hi Brian!

Counting down the days yet? Hope you enjoy your balcony and don't forget to take lots of pictures from it! :D

Here's another picture from a different angle showing the 'covered/uncovered' part you mentioned:

9391397190_06541f215d_b.jpg

Haven't start countdown mode yet. That won't be until about 10 days before we fly out to Barcelona on the 23rd.

Hi Dan,

The flag is only flown in port and not while the ship is at sea. I've seen pictures of the hanging flag taken from the Marina Deck balconies and it didn't appear to intrude down into your 'space' like you think it might.

Thanks Dave

I have been Watching all of your posts and thanks for all of your Insight and hard work.

I was more concerned with the Noise from the Flag than anything

but after your reply Its no concern

Thanks Again

Dan

I've seen a lot of guessing as to what that may be, but as far as I know no one who has been on the ship has actually 100% confirmed what it is or taken a picture down that sideways corridor where that is.

There is something there but I won't be able to check it out until September 27th. The bonus is that the center D4 cabin balconies on Marina, Riviera, Aloha and Caribe decks split that space and they are larger.

Thanks for your responses. Guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for reviews and pictures from that aft location. We have an aft cabin reserved on the Baja deck on the Regal next year and I'm just curious what might be in that center location. While I like the idea of having the bigger balcony on the Marina, Riviera, Aloha & Caribe decks. I like the idea of having a partially covered one more. Thanks again!

Thanks so much for your information... I will look forward to seeing some pictures from your TA... We have to wait till December 8th to see for ourselves..

Happy sailing... Jackie:D

We have a Baja balcony midship on the Royal. Just curious if the lifeboats will afffect our view?

Thanks' date=' and thanks Dave for all your help and insight this past year.[/quote']

Hi sasha'smom,

When looking forward and aft, or straight down, you will not be able to see where the water makes contact with the hull. This is due to the lifeboat placement, which has them mounted on the davits and projecting about half way over the side of the ship. I think the biggest visual obstruction will be for those balconies on Emerald Deck and behind lifeboats. You however will still be able to see lots of ocean and all the way out to the horizon, just not that point where the water and ship meet.

I have cancelled handicap balcony D303 on royal sail date dec 8th. should be back in inventory if anyone need h/c balcony

Hi enyliram,

I do hope your next cruise, whatever ship it is on, is wonderful. I'm sure it will be. Thank you for being part of the conversation.

David

Thanks again, Dave. Can't wait to be on this gorgeous ship. For us, we are excited about being on a new Princess ship. Although my husband is disappointed about no central staircase, the ship looks so gorgeous and the new features so desirable (thanks to all the pics and info you found and shared), we can't wait to experience her for ourselves in October. It's hard to believe it's almost here. I remember so clearly the mad dash to book a cabin without even knowing what we really were getting. I just went with what we always get and hoped for the best. Turns out I'm so glad I didn't upgrade to a deluxe balcony, since I use the drawers in the desk so much and don't like what they did with it to make room for the sofa.

I'm looking forward to your review once you are actually on the ship and can experience it for yourself.

Thanks so much for finding those photos. My family is booked on the Christmas cruise on the Royal. We have two D4's next to each other. C741 and C743. I have my 17 and 19 year old in C743. Is it my imagination or is that balcony much larger?. We will have to balcony door open to adjoin, but if the balcony for C743 is larger, my wife and i want it!

Thanks for any info, and thanks for posting so much info.

Bill from California

Thanks so much for finding those photos. My family is booked on the Christmas cruise on the Royal. We have two D4's next to each other. C741 and C743. I have my 17 and 19 year old in C743. Is it my imagination or is that balcony much larger?. We will have to balcony door open to adjoin, but if the balcony for C743 is larger, my wife and i want it!

Thanks for any info, and thanks for posting so much info.

Bill from California

Bill, C742 and C743 appear to share the balcony space behind the blank space and appear to be maybe 3' wider. I would switch with the kids :). That appears to be the same on Marina, Riviera and Aloha decks also. Baja deck appears to have a different arrangement.

• 2 weeks later...

Please write a review with pictures of your balcony :) We have D729 booked for a Caribbean trip and we're anxious to know more about the cabin and balcony - along with your recommendations and critique :)

Thanks,

Deedee

Please write a review with pictures of your balcony :) We have D729 booked for a Caribbean trip and we're anxious to know more about the cabin and balcony - along with your recommendations and critique :)

Thanks,

Deedee

I will probably add a few comments to Pia's "Live" thread which she plans to do on the Sept 27 and Oct 9 cruises.