Help,I'm numbed by Bayley answers

USVI-4-me

Marissa, dear"Well travelled but cruise tired"one (your words):

I've been thinking about your sad plight, and now that I realize you didn't start this thread in a tongue-in-cheek manner to give a wake up call to the take-for-granted cruiser types, I'd like to change my initial suggestions.

So scratch my suggestion about you trying a luxury line.

Instead, perhaps you should consider a volunteer vacation. Many worthwhile organizations offer them, and you'd find your worries would not entail how loud the music is in the martini bar (first off, you'd have to find a martini bar ;)).

After all, as you said, "Money lost now is nothing compared to the total cost of going through with another loud cruise."

My husband, a retired physician, spent time in a little village in the Dominican Republic a couple of years ago. He worked long days in the little medical clinic, slept in a hammock (and he's not a young man), and of course there was no air conditioning. . .oh, and they had to watch out for scorpions when they went to the outhouse, but oh my it was a lovely trip. He says one of his best. They did have one beach day. All in all though, there was not a martini bar to be found.

While I could make some suggestions of organizations, instead I'd recommend you read this article about volunteer vacationing. Might just be what you're looking for. That or a good set of ear plugs. ;)

?..

What I need to do is avoid all crowded areas like the buffet, the Martini Bar, and the MDR. It maybe a good idea for this cruise to order more room service and just have dinner in Specialty Restaurants for a small ship feel as suggested.

-Marisa

We eat every dinner in our room. We order off the mdr menu and have cabin steward bring it to us. It is (for us) just a great way to relax, eat in peace and have a nice quiet dinner.

Look at the big picture. Fabulous ports, great food, no smoking, lovely balcony. Who cares if the music is loud in some places? Seek out the quiet places and enjoy some special time with your DH.

You won't be on the ship 24/7 listening to music you don't like! Why let someone or something else spoil your vacation before you have even gone on it?

I do! :mad:

I love it when a thread remains thoughtful, respectful and informative. With any luck I won't upset the trend here...

Publicly traded companies rarely encourage senior executives to speak to the point raised other than in nebulous terms. In a day and age where every word and action is immediately disseminated and permanently etched in IS (Internet Stone) they are understandably cautious.

Darn shame, though. Once in a while it would be nice to get a straight answer to a straight question, whether from a Pres/CEO or political candidate (sound of palm smacking forehead).

But to the music point specifically, it is only when viewing our cruise ship videos that I notice music playing virtually anytime we're in a public space. It feels a little bit surreal to hear the music in the clips because we have absolutely no memory of said music playing while being there in the actual shot. Weird. Then again, I'm at that point where I could probably start hiding my own Easter eggs...

Happy Cruising,

Alan (and Teresa)

I love it when a thread remains thoughtful, respectful and informative.

You're far more charming than I am. . .I've tried to make a point, but I seem to have failed miserably. Honestly, it is frustrating. Tell me to stop. One final, not so subtle attempt--HOW LUCKY ARE WE??:p

It feels a little bit surreal to hear the music in the clips because we have absolutely no memory of said music playing while being there in the actual shot. Weird. Then again, I'm at that point where I could probably start hiding my own Easter eggs...

Love it, Teresa (from one Teresa to another)! And while I didn't quote your entire post, let it be noted that I thought it was awesome and spoke volumes to reality!

ps I will probably steal your line about the Easter eggs and never give you credit. I will be known as clever. . .hope you'll forgive. ;)

There are many thoughtful posts on this thread. I'll try to respond to a few just read this morning.

Mimito4: you are right it is "funny" when people complain about little things. In my case, I can see it's funny to complain about the volume of music on Celebrity and the design flaw that makes library books dance on the shelves. But, the plus or minus 3 to 10K dollars that we usually spend on a cruise is not considered "little things" to us.

Your suggestion of volunteering for a more rewarding experience is valid. But, this message board is not about volunteer work. Before I get back on topic, yes volunteer work has been rewarding over the years.

Slightly off topic is the comment printed in USA Today on October 8, 2012 in which Adam Goldstein, CEO of Royal Caribbean International (Parent Co of Celebrity) said: "We're often talking about how large the ships are, but there's not enough room on any ship to have an area that's not used."

Therefore, I wonder why the ship limits the martini bar (most popular bar aboard S-Class ships) to the Foyer when CellarMasters, Quasar, and Sky Lounge are sitting quiet without bar service except for SkyLounge having free cocktails for the Captains Club Elites.

Goldstein also said:

"Obviously, we're cognizant of what our closest competitors do, and vice-versa, but we collectively represent like 1% or 2% of the vacations that people take. I mean, 98% or 99% of vacations are still taken on land. If we're going to be cutting edge, then we need to understand what happening on land."

Therefore, It's no wonder I'm getting burnout when the ship is too loud. After all I can find more places to enjoy quiet places, good food, and pleasant entertainment on land.

I feel strongly that I go to sea with Celebrity and they aren't thinking about giving me enough choice for quiet places. They know it, and they don't seem to care. I want to be a "squeaking wheel".

Yes, I like the ports, appreciate the no smoking, clean ship, and dependable service. But what is Celebrity doing that's over and beyond what we get on a second favorite cruise line? I'll cruise for ports, no smoking, and a comfortable bed.

The idea of seeking a small cruise experience on the large ship suits us.

It appears that we forgot dinner can be ordered from room service. I appreciate all the good advice I've gotten from this thread.

Mimito4, you can expect me to watch your posts and give you some posts back.

To the many posters on this thread, I owe you my thanks for helping me go forward in anticipating a fun cruise experiment. Yes, I'll write a review to tell you how it works out -- small ship fun on a large ship full of interesting people.

-Marisa

Archived