Walkie Talkie? What is the best kind to have?

tripletsmommy

Personal opinion has nothing to do with it. Radio transmissions are regulated both on a National level, but within the bounds of international regulations. Cruise ships have no authority to regulate or allow/disallow radio transmissions anywhere. They do have authority to say that they allow you to use radios on their ships within the guidelines/laws that regulate there use. My information comes from the International and U.S. radio regulations regarding frequency allocations and how and where they may be used. It is one of the very reasons that cruise ships never/rarely allow ham radio equipment to be used on board anymore. The cheap, short range WalMart walkie talkies can probably get by with use most places, fishermen in the Caribbean use them endlessly, but they don't work well on ships. The radios that might be partially effective on a ship are certainly not allow in parts of the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada. Again, anyone is allowed to make a choice and take a chance, but to offer advice advocating breaking laws while in international waters when you are not responsible for the outcome is a shame! I do not claim to be an expert, but I am licensed and regulated in this case, and do know this piece of the law.

To the OP, make up your mind as to what you feel you need for your own comfort level and enjoy your cruise.

The three most common phrases overheard:

1. "Can you hear me? how about now? now? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW???"

2. "WHAT?...brzzztzzt...WHAT???! brzzztztztztz...WHAT?!?!?!"

3. "MOM!?!?! MOM!?!?!?! MOM!?!?!?!?"

And if you have a radio, just tune to any channel, and say "Hey Mom". You'll get 10 different responses.

DH and I are leaving on the Star Octobr 21st, travelling with another couple. We were thinking of bringing our two-way radios so we can connect once we are in different ports. We don't need them while on the ship. Not knowing anything about these devices, can someone tell me if this would be recommended? We don't want to be breaking any laws, as we had never thought of that aspect.

Personal opinion has nothing to do with it. Radio transmissions are regulated both on a National level, but within the bounds of international regulations. Cruise ships have no authority to regulate or allow/disallow radio transmissions anywhere. They do have authority to say that they allow you to use radios on their ships within the guidelines/laws that regulate there use. My information comes from the International and U.S. radio regulations regarding frequency allocations and how and where they may be used. It is one of the very reasons that cruise ships never/rarely allow ham radio equipment to be used on board anymore. The cheap, short range WalMart walkie talkies can probably get by with use most places, fishermen in the Caribbean use them endlessly, but they don't work well on ships. The radios that might be partially effective on a ship are certainly not allow in parts of the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada. Again, anyone is allowed to make a choice and take a chance, but to offer advice advocating breaking laws while in international waters when you are not responsible for the outcome is a shame! I do not claim to be an expert, but I am licensed and regulated in this case, and do know this piece of the law.

To the OP, make up your mind as to what you feel you need for your own comfort level and enjoy your cruise.

I too have a radio license and its only needed in the GMRS frequencies. The FMRS bands are unrestricted and most over the counter walkie talkies come with both bands and clear instructions on how to access both both and what licenses may be necessary.

No matter how you want to want to scare the OP US laws are not enforceable on the open seas. If they were there would be no gambling.

I give you credit for the advice about use within the ports of calls and their ports but that's where any restrictions stop. It seem to me you are against walkie talkies so you are purposely trying to scare the OP into believing they cant be used at all.

This is my last post on the subject but to te OP, do your own research if you are worried about the legality, but to answer your questions they do work and any Cobra or Midland set will transmitt from cabins to just about any deck on the ship. Yes, like cellphones there are dead spots but for my family they have worked more often than not

Enjoy your vacation!

Walkie talkies do work on the ship. I did have a little trouble getting reception in an inside room, but balcony rooms do pretty well. Also, it depends on where on the ship the other party is and how many steel bulkheads the signal have to go around. They do well on deck and ship to shore. I travel with a group, and on certain islands we do different morning excursions and find each other later using walkie talkies for snacks and cocktails before going back to the ship. There are a lot of passengers that use them. In ports with numerous ships in at once, there can be lot of chatter. I’d suggest to get to know the different bands so you have alternatives.

I have been on ships that had walkie talkies either for sale or daily rental. Many of the touristy ports have them for sale in their street markets as well as in stores.

The folks on here that want to discourage the use of walkie talkies usually are concerned with their own peace and quiet. AND, they are right. There are individuals on cruise ships using walkie talkies that know no boundaries. Be cognizant of those around you and you should be alright.

generally walkie talkies are ok on the ship (people not liking them notwithstanding). However, the advice /not/ to use them in ports unless you know its ok is good advice. I know the GMRS/FRS frequencies we use in the US for some of these radios are an absolute no-no in Europe as they interfere with some of their emergency bands. So using them outside of the open waters and in port is something you should be careful with.

Archived