Pros/Cons Parking vs Driving to New Orleans ...Tips?

momof4_tn

We live 8-9 hours from New Orleans (in TN). We drove last year for our cruise, stayed outside of New Orleans the night before and parked at the port. This year (same cruise) we are considering driving. Southwest is offering Nashville to New Orleans for $350RT (total) and it seems like between port parking we would just about break even plus the convenience vs driving. However, I am concerned about transfers from airport to hotel and then getting from hotel to pier.

Does anyone know approx cost for cab/shuttle from airport to pier?

Also, approx travel time on return from cruise?

Are there any hotels that are within walking distance? I recall one being almost directly across from the whale lot we parked in, but I don't recall the name. Looked really close.

Airport to pier/downtown Canal St area is about $35 for two and takes less than 30 minutes, usually about 15. There are several hotels within a few blocks of the pier, but none are very good for walking. We usually stay at the Marriott Convention Center and can see the ship about 2-3 blocks away, we still take a cab for about $5-7 for two.

• 4 weeks later...

We usually drive and stay at a hotel that lets you leave your car for the whole week, and drives you to and from the port. We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Metairie twice and will be staying at the Quality Inn and Suites in Gretna in December.

I always drive and it paid off big time when we ran into fog and the ship was 1/2 day late getting into port.

Many people were paying up to $700 to change flights, some several times plus the ships phone charges to make the arangements.

and then you can bring gifts home and not worry about luggage space.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Gracie in prior post, I booked Hampton Inn Metarie for two nights prior to my New Years cruise on Carnival. They do charge $30 for the week and provide shuttle to cruise port. Better than $16 per day near the pier.:cool:

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm curious about the Quality Inn in Gretna as well. Any opinions? From what I've seen on tripadvisor it is horrible. We don't need anything fancy but can't deal with dirty.

We're booked there, but now I am really worried with the reviews...

The only positive I can see is -most- people say the park and cruise worked out well, but others have horror stories of waiting hours for the shuttle. Hope some people chime in!

Archived