Rental Car questions

NurseSteph

So we are flying into ft lauderdale two days early and want to rent a car. I have checked the prices and Enterprise seems to be the cheapest the drop off location is at the airport. So I am wondering about logistics of us dropping the car off at the airport the morning of departure. Should I take a taxi back to the hotel (Hilton Garden Inn) and use the hotel shuttle service that I have to pay 12 pp for to transfer to the cruise ship terminal OR just pay for a taxi from the rental car place to the cruise ship terminal? Any suggestions or ideas of how to make this work without breaking the bank?

Thanks

Stephanie

This is what we did.

We flew in to FLL a few days in advance of our cruise and rented a car at FLL. Day of the cruise, we checked out of our hotel (in FLL) and drove to MIA airport and returned the car. We then took a cab for the 4 of us and all our luggage for about $20 from the airport to the pier.

I'm not sure if there are other return locations that would provide a shuttle for you to the pier. We just found this a simple way for us.

Cab is a better option, that way you dont have to worry about a crowded shuttle van and worrying if all your bags will fit with all the others already on the shuttle. Im renting a car 2 days early in FLL and dropping in mia. on Nov 25. Fox car rental from FLL was 85.00 for 2 days.

This is what we did.

We flew in to FLL a few days in advance of our cruise and rented a car at FLL. Day of the cruise, we checked out of our hotel (in FLL) and drove to MIA airport and returned the car. We then took a cab for the 4 of us and all our luggage for about $20 from the airport to the pier.

I'm not sure if there are other return locations that would provide a shuttle for you to the pier. We just found this a simple way for us.

Sorry if this sounds silly but was your cruise out of Miami and that is why you returned it there?

Just in case anyone is wondering here is the information that I found on taxi from FL airport to Port Everglades

http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/transportation/

Taxi

Taxi fare from Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport to Port Everglades is typically about $10 to $15. If you purchased an air/sea travel package, transfers are usually included. For a taxi from the Port to downtown Fort Lauderdale, expect to pay about $18, depending on your destination.

Pretty cheap I think this is the way to go!

Thanks everyone for your responses!

This is what we did.

I'm assuming you flew back out of FLL? How did you get back to the airport? shuttle or cab?

Just in case anyone is wondering here is the information that I found on taxi from FL airport to Port Everglades

http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/transportation/

Taxi

Taxi fare from Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport to Port Everglades is typically about $10 to $15. If you purchased an air/sea travel package, transfers are usually included. For a taxi from the Port to downtown Fort Lauderdale, expect to pay about $18, depending on your destination.

Pretty cheap I think this is the way to go!

Thanks everyone for your responses!

That's right and that price is the total for one taxi. The airport is very close to the port, whereas the hotel is a few miles south of both, not on the way at all.

I am planning to do something similar but I plan to first drop everyone and the luggage off at the cruise terminal. Then I will return the car. Also I am planning to use dollar which I was able to price with a pickup at fll and then dropping off the car at their location near the port. They also provide a shuttle from thAt location to the port.

So we are flying into ft lauderdale two days early and want to rent a car. I have checked the prices and Enterprise seems to be the cheapest the drop off location is at the airport. So I am wondering about logistics of us dropping the car off at the airport the morning of departure. Should I take a taxi back to the hotel (Hilton Garden Inn) and use the hotel shuttle service that I have to pay 12 pp for to transfer to the cruise ship terminal OR just pay for a taxi from the rental car place to the cruise ship terminal? Any suggestions or ideas of how to make this work without breaking the bank?

Thanks

Stephanie

You'd end up spending a lot more on the cab back to the Garden Inn than you would to the port from the airport let alone spending the money on the shuttle as well.

Also, not that this makes a big difference, but you might also look at what Alamo charges and compare to Enterprise, since Alamo has a free shuttle to the port from the airport (National also uses this). I am surprised that Enterprise isn't part of this shuttle since they own Alamo and National. (or maybe they are, but we just haven't heard about it since hardly anyone mentions Enterprise on here).

Sorry if this sounds silly but was your cruise out of Miami and that is why you returned it there?

Yes, sorry, I suppose I should have mentioned that. We flew in to FLL because flights on SWA were cheaper than flying in to MIA where SWA does not fly.

I don't know where or why I thought you were flying in to FLL and cruising out of MIA lol....I have lost my mind. Sorry for the confusion!

What is the best way to get from the port to MIA to pick up a rental car? If I remember correctly it was crazy trying to leave the port last time. We were told we had to line up transportation in advance, that we could not be added to shuttles already there. Is the port close to the People Mover and does the People Mover go to MIA? (We have checked with the car rental company and they do not have a shuttle to pick us up.)

Archived