Kids & Dinner on Epic

meab

We're traveling with our 4 kids (ages 11, 8, 4, 3) on the Epic in a few weeks, and it's our first time on NCL, so we have a few questions about kids and dinner.

I know that if we take them to specialties, and they eat from the kids menu, there's no charge; if they eat from the regular menu, it's half price. This is a great policy on behalf of NCL if i may say so!

But now i'm thinking we'll be able to enjoy our food a little bit more and not feel as rushed to eat if we dine without the kids. If you've taken 4 young kids out to eat, then you know what I mean (and our kids are pretty well behaved!).

So the questions are:

--Can the kids eat dinner with the kids club, and is there a set time or any pre-arranging that needs to be done? (For example, we did this on Disney for the night we ate at Palo - dropped kids at the club, where they had dinner, and we were off to our date night at Palo; similar on Royal Caribbean, they will take the kids to dinner between 5-7 when the club itself is closed)

--if we opt to take the kids to a casual dinner at the buffet, and then drop them at the kids club, and then go off to dinner ourselves... what time does the buffet open for dinner? We are NOT late eaters, so DH and I don't want to be having dinner at 8pm, but do want to make sure we have time to feed the kids and drop them off before our reservations for dinner or shows.

Thanks!

We're traveling with our 4 kids (ages 11, 8, 4, 3) on the Epic in a few weeks, and it's our first time on NCL, so we have a few questions about kids and dinner.

I know that if we take them to specialties, and they eat from the kids menu, there's no charge; if they eat from the regular menu, it's half price. This is a great policy on behalf of NCL if i may say so!

But now i'm thinking we'll be able to enjoy our food a little bit more and not feel as rushed to eat if we dine without the kids. If you've taken 4 young kids out to eat, then you know what I mean (and our kids are pretty well behaved!).

So the questions are:

--Can the kids eat dinner with the kids club, and is there a set time or any pre-arranging that needs to be done? (For example, we did this on Disney for the night we ate at Palo - dropped kids at the club, where they had dinner, and we were off to our date night at Palo; similar on Royal Caribbean, they will take the kids to dinner between 5-7 when the club itself is closed)

--if we opt to take the kids to a casual dinner at the buffet, and then drop them at the kids club, and then go off to dinner ourselves... what time does the buffet open for dinner? We are NOT late eaters, so DH and I don't want to be having dinner at 8pm, but do want to make sure we have time to feed the kids and drop them off before our reservations for dinner or shows.

Thanks!

I will try to answer your question on kids dinner. Last February I was on the Epic with my 9 y/o. They used to have one night where the kids club took the kids to the buffet for dinner. You had to sign up early as sometimes this filled up. Now a NEW kids program has been phased in on the ships. I'm thinking that they may not do this any longer. The reason I say, is when I was on the Star this July, it was not offered. I asked the kids club people and they said they no longer have a dinner evening with the kids. Now I don't know if this is because of the new program, or if this is just something they don't do on the Star's Bermuda Itinerary.

As to the Buffet. I think it generally opens around 5pm with dinner options. But there is always something being offered in the buffet area. There is also O'sheehans where you could get food anytime. Also room service, but sometimes that can take upwards of an hour for delivery. If you happen to be staying in a suite, I think you can ask your butler to get kid dinner friendly food in your suite while you are getting ready for your Specialty dining without the kids. When kids are done eating, take to kids club and off to dinner and private evening you can have.

The Epic is awesome. We are scheduled for our 3rd time aboard on Nov 17, 2012. Come join the roll call if this is when you are cruising. We have a crazy fun group and we are actually doing a small meet and greet for the kids just prior to the Official M&G set up by our roll call organizer and NCL. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1522652

If this isn't yours, join for the date you are cruising. Lots of great fun and information

Depending on how long it takes your kids to eat, getting to the Garden Cafe at 5:00 or 5:30 will allow you to eat at a specialty by 7pm, I would imagine. Probably much sooner. As stated, another good option is O'Sheehans which is free and open 24/7. You could go there at 4pm if you wanted and get your kids fed, and hit a specialty early...like 5:30 or 6.

thanks. this was very helpful.

at osheehans, is the standard kids meal available too? or just the regular osheehans menu?

for garden cafe, i wondered if it did open as early as 5, or if 5:30 or 6 was a more realistic number.

djmess, thanks for the invite on the roll call. a kids M&G is a great idea. we aren't on the 11/17 sailing though. definitely looking forward to our trip!

we're also not in a suite, but 2 connecting balconies. i'm starting to wish we were in the haven, especially with the idea of having the butler bring food early for the kids, but i think for the price difference we can haul ourselves down to osheehans or the garden cafe ;)

We've been on the Epic twice and it's our favorite ship bar none!

We would also take our son to either the Buffet or O'sheehans early to get him fed. Then we'd drop him off at the kids center and proceed to the specialty restaurant of choice.

There's a variety of choices on O'Sheehans menu including fish/chips, burgers, hot dogs, hot wings. I'm sure your kids will find something they like.

Enjoy your cruise on the Epic!

Does the kids club close during dinner time at all?

It does not close for the 6 and up group.

I do know that with the new program it MAY (not totally sure) close for the younger group for like an hour mid day time. I remember this being mentioned when I was on the Star this summer. The first evening of a cruise, the Splash Academy will have a M&G type event usually around the 5:30-6:30 range. This is where I think I heard mention of a short afternoon closure for the 5 and under group.

Hi Meab,

We will be sailing with our kids, 6 & 8 on 12/1. Any chance you will be joining us? I've been trying to find someone else with kids on our sailing, but so far no luck.

Either way, I hope you have a wonderful time. If you are going before us, I would love to pick your brain afterwards.

Happy sailing!

Robin

robin,

sorry, i won't be back before you depart, so i wont' be able to share details in time.

i'm sure it's all going to work out fine with dining, shows, etc. but I definitely notice there's more planning that needs to go into things when you have multiple children to work around. i have found this on other ships that require reserving show times ahead also, with regards to what the kids may/may not go to, hours of the kids club, getting them fed in time, etc. it always works out fine in the end and everyone has fun :)

i'm just really looking forward to no formal clothes, etc. to bring. the kids only wear it for an hour anyways and then change into more casual attire! so glad to not have to bring all those tiny extra pairs of shoes and nicer clothes that take up space that no one wants to even wear :)

Archived