walking to port

Carolin

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are light packers so we only travel with carry-ons. We are getting into New Orleans a few days before our cruise which leaves on Feb. 3. Yep.. superbowl sunday.

We are staying with a friend in Marinay just a few short blocks from the french quarter. We've walked down to Canal street from there several times and it's a easy walk. How much further is it to where we enter the port terminal for our Carnival cruise?

I'm thinking that its going to be a bit nuts since its superbowl sunday so cabs may be hard to find. Any thoughts/hints/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much. I'm so excited about this trip. I get to combine a cruise with one of my most favorite places in the country. And I get to check two things off of my bucket list.... Superbowl and Marti gras. I will be staying in town to live it up. :D

You used to be able to walk through the Riverwalk and follow an outside walkway to the terminal, but the walkway is closed for constructio: not sure how long that will last.

Go down Canal to Convention Center Blvd., turn right to Julia Street (first light). Go left on Julia and cross the tracks. There is a roadway (turn right) leading to the terminal. There are signs saying "no pedestrians," and you will have to dodge some traffic, but it's not a bad walk.

Besides Mardi Gras, there will be tons of stuff going on for the Superbowl.

You can also catch the streetcar at the french market and then get off around Canal street if you dont want to walk the whole way. We live in the Bywater, right below the Marigny and walk to the street car if we want to go somewhere up around Canal.

• 1 month later...

The easiest is to get on the Riverfront streetcar (we were at Hilton at Poydras) - pay the $1.25 (exact fare) and get off at the Julia Street location (for us it was one stop). The driver helped us with our luggage getting on and off. We then walked across the street and the terminal was there - it's so easy! Go before noon and you'll basically walk on the ship. Enjoy!

Archived