Physically disabled? Avoid HAL Zaandam.

Appygirl

I am fully mobile.

My father has limited mobility - walks short distances with a cane. The last couple of cruises we've brought his wheelchair to make things easier in case he has balance issues or his legs get tired.

We just got off Holland America's Zaandam, Vancouver to Hawaii, and here are my observations based on assisting with a wheelchair.

Tender ports. Had one in Lahaina, Maui. There are 12 steps to walk down to get to the Zaandam's tender launching dock. And likewise, upon return, 12 steps to walk back up again. Once on the tender dock, there are 2 or 3 steps to walk down onto the tender. Depends if the staff are using the large or small block. They had one of each and alternated it with the front and back seating areas depending on a passenger's needs. My father was OK walking up and down the stairs and onto the tender and to his seat. The crew carried our wheelchair (folding kind) on and off the tender. I also saw the crew carry a scooter off the tender. They're helpful and patient. They do not carry passengers but will offer a steadying hand. Anyone who is wheelchair bound and unable to walk up and down stairs and then over to their seat on the tender will be unable to disembark on the Zaandam's tender ports. Could be a deal breaker when deciding on a cruise ship.

Main dining room on deck 4 of the Zaandam can only be accessed by the aft elevator or stairs. Deck 4 dead ends at the stairs. There is no hallway that goes to the forward parts of deck 4 in case someone wants to avoid the aft elevator crunch and uses the midship elevators. The galley is on the other side of the stairs. Therefore dead end if you try to access from the the midship area of the Zaandam and there is a sign telling you to go up or down a flight and then make your way aft.

This inconvenience is not a big issue to fully mobile passengers. It is a nightmare for passengers in wheelchairs, walkers, scooters, and others unable to climb stairs. And their travelling companions. Only 3 aft elevators work on the Zaandam. The one that was out of service and dark on our cruise apparently has been out of service for many months. Out of the remaining 3 elevators only one seems to be going up and down. The other 2 are usually at a standstill on the same floor, though occasionally one might start to move after a few minutes. At meal times, especially dinner, the waits for elevators to the main dining room are horrible. The elevators are usually full, before or after dinner. One time we came out of the MDR and there is a backlog of people in wheelchairs, scooters, and walkers waiting. 15 minute wait to get an elevator.

The food and service is not so great in the Zaandam's MDR anyway.

Just some things to keep in mind if you like getting off at all ports and like eating in the main dining room and accessibility is a consideration.

Consider another cruise ship!

I am fully mobile.

My father has limited mobility - walks short distances with a cane. The last couple of cruises we've brought his wheelchair to make things easier in case he has balance issues or his legs get tired.

We just got off Holland America's Zaandam, Vancouver to Hawaii, and here are my observations based on assisting with a wheelchair.

Tender ports. Had one in Lahaina, Maui. There are 12 steps to walk down to get to the Zaandam's tender launching dock. And likewise, upon return, 12 steps to walk back up again. Once on the tender dock, there are 2 or 3 steps to walk down onto the tender. Depends if the staff are using the large or small block. They had one of each and alternated it with the front and back seating areas depending on a passenger's needs. My father was OK walking up and down the stairs and onto the tender and to his seat. The crew carried our wheelchair (folding kind) on and off the tender. I also saw the crew carry a scooter off the tender. They're helpful and patient. They do not carry passengers but will offer a steadying hand. Anyone who is wheelchair bound and unable to walk up and down stairs and then over to their seat on the tender will be unable to disembark on the Zaandam's tender ports. Could be a deal breaker when deciding on a cruise ship.

Main dining room on deck 4 of the Zaandam can only be accessed by the aft elevator or stairs. Deck 4 dead ends at the stairs. There is no hallway that goes to the forward parts of deck 4 in case someone wants to avoid the aft elevator crunch and uses the midship elevators. The galley is on the other side of the stairs. Therefore dead end if you try to access from the the midship area of the Zaandam and there is a sign telling you to go up or down a flight and then make your way aft.

This inconvenience is not a big issue to fully mobile passengers. It is a nightmare for passengers in wheelchairs, walkers, scooters, and others unable to climb stairs. And their travelling companions. Only 3 aft elevators work on the Zaandam. The one that was out of service and dark on our cruise apparently has been out of service for many months. Out of the remaining 3 elevators only one seems to be going up and down. The other 2 are usually at a standstill on the same floor, though occasionally one might start to move after a few minutes. At meal times, especially dinner, the waits for elevators to the main dining room are horrible. The elevators are usually full, before or after dinner. One time we came out of the MDR and there is a backlog of people in wheelchairs, scooters, and walkers waiting. 15 minute wait to get an elevator.

The food and service is not so great in the Zaandam's MDR anyway.

Just some things to keep in mind if you like getting off at all ports and like eating in the main dining room and accessibility is a consideration.

Consider another cruise ship!

Sorry to hear about your experience. However, I have been on the Zaandam and have found there to be any issues that would avoid me from going on it again with my scooter. In fact I'm going with a group next year where there will be a large part that have mobility aids.

RE: Tenders - In general it is the policy of all cruise lines that individuals using wheelchairs scooter or any other mobility aid must be able to do steps in order to get onto the tenders. All cruise lines publish their tendering policy on its websites. So it's important for anyone traveling with mobility equipment to either not select itineraries with Tendered Ports or to fully understand the cruise lines tender policy when making their selection so as to avoid any disappointment once on board. HAL has at least one roll on tender on each ship ( with the exception of the Prinsendam) so unless conditions were not good or it was not working people confined to a wheelchair should have been able to tender as this is one of the reasons that makes HAL a good option for assessible cruising. Following is HAL's tender policy as copied directly from its website. Link to website http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Accessible+Cruising&contentSubMenu=Holland+America+Line:+Committed+to+Serving+Everyone&WT.ac=footer_Accessible#

As to tenders, with the exception of the PRINSENDAM, Holland America Line vessels have been retrofitted with a tender-lift system that enables guests to roll directly on and off tenders while remaining in their wheelchairs. However, please be advised that adverse weather conditions such as wind, swells, or extreme tide levels may prohibit the use of the ship's tender lift equipment. Additionally, some port facilities may not be able to accommodate the lift equipment. If you require the use of this equipment, please speak with the Guest Relations Manager upon embarkation for further details or to coordinate specific arrangements.

Situations may occur in which guests with limited mobility may not be able to go ashore at the time they desire or are unable to go ashore at all in certain ports. For the safety of all concerned, the Captain shall make the final determination regarding whether or not it is advisable to provide assistance to guests with mobility impairments, or to carry their mobility assistance device (wheelchair, scooter, walker, etc.), taking into account all appropriate matters including, but not limited to, weather conditions, ship's location, weight of the guest or their mobility device, etc.

Re: Elevators : Elevators on any cruise ship are always a challenge for anyone using a wheelchair, scooter or walker during any peak period such a dinner time. The fact that the Zaandam has only one bank of elevators going to the MDR really doesn't change that fact. Most individuals using wheelchairs, scooters or walkers who cruise regularly generally either plan to arrive earlier or little later to MDR to avoid the elevator rush.

RE: Food. Food is always very subjective and will very from person to person.

Overall though the Zaandam went into operation in 2000, in general the ships built after 2002 have the most onboard accessible features. Though tendering with a wheelchair scooter or any other mobility aid still remains at the descretion of the Captain.

WE have cruised on the Zaandam and I remember the having the same frustrations as the original poster. The smaller HAL ships are not as wheelchair friendly as HALs Vista ships, such as the Westerdam. We were always able to use the tenders on the Westerdam, not so on the smaller ships. The smaller ships have a different system to load scooters and chairs and it is much more difficult for both passenger and crew. We have found it to be unavailable to us about 75% of the time and we have been onboard various HAL ships over 200 days.

My son and I also noticed the problem with the deck plan regararding the elevators while on the Zaandam.

So, in my opinion, the newer ships do work better. I will add that we have found the crew on HAL to be very helpful and we enjoy our cruises, but we just plan that we will likely stay onboard at the tender ports if we chose the smaller, older ships.

Archived