Tour to Montego Bay from Falmouth

digertwo

I am looking at going on a highlights tour of Montego Bay (maybe see the White Witch) Maybe include a drink at Margaritaville and lunch at Scotties. My ship will be docked in Falmouth for the day. Has anyone done something like this and with who. I have searched some many sites my head is going to explode so I figured i would just ask those who may have done it! :p

I would skip the drink at Margaritaville. We went over there when we docked in Falmouth last year and boy was it the biggest waste of money!

We just could not believe this was a Margaritaville. It was in a very bad location. Our driver told us when we got out, to stay in the restaurant and not venture off, especially down to the right. He said this was not a good location there in Mo Bay.

The service was the worst we ever experienced (and we've been to a lot of Margaritavilles). They don't have a pool, only a slide that goes down into the water. The employee that was "working" the slide kept telling everyone if they wanted to slide again, they had to bring him a tip.:mad: Yeah, I'd like to give him a tip and not the kind he wanted either. He was not joking and it really started to upset some people.

I don't even want to get into the condition of the bathrooms. The ladies room was so nasty that I almost got sick when I walked in. Enough said about that.....next issue.......

No music, no entertainment, no Buffet music.......it was quiet in there the entire time. No crowds at all.

The food--the nachos were awesome. I was glad I ate some before I went to the restroom or I would not have eaten anything. The drinks were awesome. Expensive like all the others, but good.

Someone in our group got hurt on the trampoline in the water and blood got into the water. Within a minute, a shark came right up to the trampoline. :eek: Needless to say, some people started freaking out.

Overall, I would never go back there and I certainly wouldn't recommend any of my friends to go either.

I would skip the drink at Margaritaville. We went over there when we docked in Falmouth last year and boy was it the biggest waste of money!

We just could not believe this was a Margaritaville. It was in a very bad location. Our driver told us when we got out, to stay in the restaurant and not venture off, especially down to the right. He said this was not a good location there in Mo Bay.

The service was the worst we ever experienced (and we've been to a lot of Margaritavilles). They don't have a pool, only a slide that goes down into the water. The employee that was "working" the slide kept telling everyone if they wanted to slide again, they had to bring him a tip.:mad: Yeah, I'd like to give him a tip and not the kind he wanted either. He was not joking and it really started to upset some people.

I don't even want to get into the condition of the bathrooms. The ladies room was so nasty that I almost got sick when I walked in. Enough said about that.....next issue.......

No music, no entertainment, no Buffet music.......it was quiet in there the entire time. No crowds at all.

The food--the nachos were awesome. I was glad I ate some before I went to the restroom or I would not have eaten anything. The drinks were awesome. Expensive like all the others, but good.

Someone in our group got hurt on the trampoline in the water and blood got into the water. Within a minute, a shark came right up to the trampoline. :eek: Needless to say, some people started freaking out.

Overall, I would never go back there and I certainly wouldn't recommend any of my friends to go either.

WOW:eek::eek::eek:

I am looking at going on a highlights tour of Montego Bay (maybe see the White Witch) Maybe include a drink at Margaritaville and lunch at Scotties. My ship will be docked in Falmouth for the day. Has anyone done something like this and with who. I have searched some many sites my head is going to explode so I figured i would just ask those who may have done it! :p

Yes, we have done this exactly plus a few other things mixed in. We used Patrice.we had a wonderful time

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1658407

The white witch is beautiful

We paid 150 for 6 people not counting the tip. Took around 5hours and she took us to lunch at scotches, we bought hers of course.

WOW:eek::eek::eek:

Well, I've never been there, yet, but I just got done reading another chat thread on Doctors Cave Beach and there were some raves about Margaritaville.

No-one had a problem with its location.

I'll have to review some more, but still thinking of going there.

It'd be neat to see a shark!

Well, I've never been there, yet, but I just got done reading another chat thread on Doctors Cave Beach and there were some raves about Margaritaville.

No-one had a problem with its location.

I'll have to review some more, but still thinking of going there.

It'd be neat to see a shark!

Well I've been to Margaritaville before and I'm pretty sure there aren't any sharks in the water

There are 2 Margaritavilles. One in Ocho Rios and the other in Mo' Bay. We went to the one in Mo' Bay.

Katy Henry--no disrespect, but just because you haven't seen any sharks there doesn't mean they are not there. The blood from someone's injury got into the water and that is what attracted the shark. I never said there were just sharks swimming around there in the water.

We were all very excited about going, but we were ALL disappointed in this one. The thing that worried us the most was the area (after we got there). We didn't know it was in a bad area until we arrived and our driver told us to not go to out and to the right of the restaurant. It's nothing like the ones in Cayman, Grand Turk, etc. It is a very small place, so I just don't want folks expecting a Margaritaville like Cayman or Grand Turk or even Myrtle Beach. It is not a stand-alone place. It is at the end of a short strip that has little places to shop. Just a narrow, 2-story place. We also had BIG regrets about spending the $$ just to take us there.

We were so bored that we called our driver and went back to the ship 2 hrs early.

Don't even get me started on the girl in our group that got hurt.....they made her go to the hospital. We all know the hospitals in other countries don't have health regulations like we do. They tried to make her lie down on a gurney that had blood all over it (not her blood either). Her husband said she completely freaked out. I would have too.:(

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if you made your mind up or not about heading over here, but have you checked out some of the latest reviews on Trip Advisor? Several reviews support what I was saying.

For us, when all the reviews that range from average to terrible add up to be more than excellent, we tend to skip the venue.

There are 2 Margaritavilles. One in Ocho Rios and the other in Mo' Bay. We went to the one in Mo' Bay.

We were all very excited about going, but we were ALL disappointed in this one. The thing that worried us the most was the area (after we got there). We didn't know it was in a bad area until we arrived and our driver told us to not go to out and to the right of the restaurant. It's nothing like the ones in Cayman, Grand Turk, etc. It is a very small place, so I just don't want folks expecting a Margaritaville like Cayman or Grand Turk or even Myrtle Beach. It is not a stand-alone place. It is at the end of a short strip that has little places to shop. Just a narrow, 2-story place. We also had BIG regrets about spending the $$ just to take us there.

:(

I have walked around there,up and down the strip. It's fine, it's not a bad place/area at all. They only want to go there for a drink. The shops in this area have some good prices on the coffee and are more than willing to bargain on other things and the people are friendly.

I have walked around there,up and down the strip. It's fine, it's not a bad place/area at all. They only want to go there for a drink. The shops in this area have some good prices on the coffee and are more than willing to bargain on other things and the people are friendly.

Are you referring to the one on Mo' Bay?

TP has quite a few reviews for this one and several had the very same thoughts & experiences as we did. We only went to hang out and have some drinks also, but we wished we hadn't.

You may have felt safe, but our group did not. I'm not sure which shops you are referring to since there were just a few places right there with the restaurant.

I am leaving on 12/1/12 cruise which will take me to Falmouth for first time. I booked via cruise line for excursion to Montego Bay highlights and Rose Hall. I believe that there is a stop at Margaritaville also.

I too was very confused and did not want to venture on my own. My DH works with many Jamaicans and they all told him NOT to go exploring on his own to either take an excursion or stay at resort.

Originally I was going to take the beach excursion but I was vetoed by my DS because we live on an island and have beaches all around us. He prefers the Rose Hall tour.

I will be posting a review upon my return after 12/11/12 if this helps. Look for the MSC Poesia review but I will try to post individual reviews for each port also.

Wow, dont believe everything people say/tell you.

Mobay marguritaville is not in a bad area what so ever, what the cab driver told you is absolute rubbish and Im pretty sure he has other motives, or maybe marguritaville pays him and tells him to say that so you stay there and spend more money there and not outside, but whatever his reasons, he's very incorrect about mobay marguritaville being in a bad location.

The strip is pretty nice and very safe, tons of policemen/women are on it as well to help put your minds to rest. As with every city, just be aware of your surroundings and dont go wondering off.

Scotchies, is nice food, spicy so make sure you can handle it :).

As for your safety, you'll be perfectly fine, dont let the bad experience of one person make you think its a horrible place or unsafe/etc.

Wow, dont believe everything people say/tell you.

Mobay marguritaville is not in a bad area what so ever, what the cab driver told you is absolute rubbish and Im pretty sure he has other motives, or maybe marguritaville pays him and tells him to say that so you stay there and spend more money there and not outside, but whatever his reasons, he's very incorrect about mobay marguritaville being in a bad location.

The strip is pretty nice and very safe, tons of policemen/women are on it as well to help put your minds to rest. As with every city, just be aware of your surroundings and dont go wondering off.

Scotchies, is nice food, spicy so make sure you can handle it :).

As for your safety, you'll be perfectly fine, dont let the bad experience of one person make you think its a horrible place or unsafe/etc.

You clearly have not read the reviews on trip advisor for the last several months. I am one person, but not the only one with negative things to say. It barely has 3 1/2 circles out of 5 on TP.

Also, we never took a cab. We hired a private driver to take us there, so your claim about the cab driver making $$ from M'ville is completely not true.

PS--I see you're from Jamaica, so I understand why you are defending it. We were there for 5 hrs and never saw a policeman. So, if there are tons of them out there now, there must be a reason for it.;)

Uh, yea, that's what the Op was about. The post above this is right on.

Yes, I realize that. I was responding to you in regards to my post where I stated there are 2 M'villes, one in Ochio Rios & one on Mo' Bay. I wasn't sure which one you went to while replying. :)

I do not understand why people feel the need to flame me for talking about our experience at the one on Mo' Bay. We love Margaritavilles and have been to a ton of them. I am glad so many of you had a good experience there, but we did not. There were 10 of us in our group and none of us enjoyed it, felt safe out on the street nor would we ever go back mainly because of the restaurant itself. This is what CC is for--to talk about our experiences while cruising. All I did was report what happened to us and according to trip advisor, we are not the only ones who have negative things to say. Some people on there were much more harsh than I was here on CC. So, please, save the flaming for when I really need it.:(

You clearly have not read the reviews on trip advisor for the last several months. I am one person, but not the only one with negative things to say. It barely has 3 1/2 circles out of 5 on TP.

Also, we never took a cab. We hired a private driver to take us there, so your claim about the cab driver making $$ from M'ville is completely not true.

PS--I see you're from Jamaica, so I understand why you are defending it. We were there for 5 hrs and never saw a policeman. So, if there are tons of them out there now, there must be a reason for it.;)

Private cab or taxi same difference, someone hired to drive you to your destination, one of the major ones being marguritaville, the same principle applies.

Explain to me, if the drive told you not to leave marguritaville, and you didnt, how would you expect to see a policeman in the 5hrs you were there :-/

As for defending it just cos Im jamaican, nah, not really, there are places here I'd never go myself and would be the last person to ever call it safe, however, those touristy areas, ochi and mobay in particular, they are both pretty safe despite what you might hear. I feel completely safe with my sister/brother/mother/father walking around there....cos I know better than to believe the rubbish that people say about certain places here.

It'd be the same if I thought an area that youre familiar with and know to be safe which I thought wasnt. I assure you however, the taxi man/driver/person/whatever told you rubbish. Why he did that?....., i guess we'll never know.

op - search for my postings here on these boards for his info

kenny salmon is our guide and friend and he will stick with you or hang back a little - reasonable price - toured with him 4 times

he's been doing this for years

tell him KimMarley sent you and he might give you a discount!

Also best thing in MoBay is Doctor's cave beach -- look it up on tripadvisor.com

Archived