Snorkeling Equipment

i'd recommend finding a good local dive shop and paying them a visit. they can show you what's available and you can help you make the best decision for your particular situation.

verrrry interesting - wonder what you will see? what the water temperature will be? y'know what the cold-factor is all about. I certified in a very cold quarry and never want to be that cold again! brrrrrr.....I'm interested to learn more about this..

LOL....but honestly, I would like to hear what a snorkeler (or diver) might expect to actually experience? do you know? unless the water temp is at least 80, I don't go in it w/o at least skins (ok, so I'm the only one on the dive boat in G.Cayman w/skins, but even then, I can still get cold!)....my favorite depth is around 40 when the sun can warm ya....

i really don't know, as i've never dived the pacific ocean (yet)... but would have to think no more than 70 at absolute peak (and i really can't imagine it being that warm that far north).

my coldest dive so far was a new year's lake dive in the atlanta area with water temps in the mid-50s. my goal is to never dive water that chilly ever again for the remainder of my days - it's just not my cup of tea... gimme the beautiful, warm, bathtub-like caribbean waters any day!

I think snorkeling in Alaska would be worth while. I have read a couple of reports on the Alaska section from people who have done it and they liked it. I know diving there is worth doing as some friends have done it, twice. As to what snorkel, I would look to getting one that is "dry". A dive shop is the best place to start your search.

LOL....but honestly' date=' I would like to hear what a snorkeler (or diver) might expect to actually experience? do you know? [/quote']As a mater of fact, I do know. A diver can expect a colorful dive with plenty of marine life, including the possibility of seeing a seal.

sealpeeking.JPG

Other stuff I've taken photos of are:

urchins.jpgrosestar.jpgbroodinganemones.jpg

The rest of these photos are HERE

Then of course there are Wolf Eels, which aren't really eels, they're fish.

male2.jpg

Overall, I think I prefer diving in the Pacific Northwest over Hawaii, it is much more colorful

Actually, those photos were taken in British Columbia. I can drive there whereas I would have to fly to Alaska, making it more expensive. Drysuit? Yes, absolutely for me. The water temperature on the dives I took the photos was 45 f. If you want to dive in Alaska, you will probably need to make your own arrangements as I don't think any of the cruise lines offer a diving excursion. I think that Princess does offer snorkeling as an excursion. You do it in a wet suit. Water temps at the surface are a bit warmer in the summer.

This Thread has information from someone who has actually done this excursion.

Great photos! Now I'm really looking forward to it - Thermal Underwear and all....lol

The cruise lines actually do offer this excursions.

spacer.gifMountain Point Snorkeling Adventurespacer.gif Immerse yourself in southeast Alaska’s underwater world as you snorkel the calm and clear waters of Mountain Point.

Meet your guide, receive a brief orientation and then gear up for your snorkel adventure. Enter the water from a protected beach. Stay toasty warm in your state-of-the-art, quarter-inch wetsuit as you hover over a kelp forest. Observe and handle a variety of sea stars, urchins, sea cucumbers and the giant sunflower star during this one-hour guided marine life tour. Back at our shop, enjoy a hot beverage before returning to your ship.

Frostypenguin,

BTW-great name but will you change it if you cruise to Hawaii or Caribbean?

I'm no expert here but we bought our own equipment to take on our recent cruise to S. Caribbean. Shoped online since local dive shop was not an option. We bought US Dive snorkel sets from LL Bean which you can view online. We had gift certificates to use so that's why we chose this catalogue. Really like the equipment-great fit for us-and the set comes with a very well-made backpack style bag to store & carry the equipment. You will not be sorry buying your own equipment even if your excursion includes equipment with the tour. Good luck & have fun. Please post your experince when you get back!

Archived