Star Flyer, 13April2013, St. Maarten to Amsterdam, 22 day nonstop transatlantic sail

Mindfultraveler

I spent some time reading this site for clues about this trip and it seems this sailing is different from past years unless you know differently. My question resolves around the wisdom of doing this route versus the other two sailings to Lisbon and Barcelona which have some scenic stops along the way.

The initial reason for me to choose the Amsterdam trip would be so I could connect with a freighter ship sailing from Amsterdam to Burns Harbor, Indiana. If that connection looks inconvenient I do not see a good reason to take the Star Flyer to Amsterdam. Instead, I feel a better case could be made to do the Barcelona routing which has many scenic stops along the way.

I guess that I am weary of doing a long sail with no stops especially 22 days at sea then climbing aboard a freighter which will also not make any stops until at least Cleveland, Ohio. That seems like a lot of sea time and not much scenery. So, unless you might happen to know some wonderful aspects of the 22 day voyage on the Star Flyer to Amsterdam I might be better served doing the Barcelona route on the Royal Clipper while paying more for the privilege as it has some neat stops along the way.

Last May I enjoyed a 16 day boat ride on Blount's Grande Voyager through the canals and on to the Great Lakes. It was a wonderful trip. I guess I am spoiled now. But the sailing ships look very inviting.

Can anyone shed a bit of light on this decision.

Many thanks. I have truly enjoyed reading everyone's postings.

I spent some time reading this site for clues about this trip and it seems this sailing is different from past years unless you know differently. My question resolves around the wisdom of doing this route versus the other two sailings to Lisbon and Barcelona which have some scenic stops along the way.

The initial reason for me to choose the Amsterdam trip would be so I could connect with a freighter ship sailing from Amsterdam to Burns Harbor, Indiana. If that connection looks inconvenient I do not see a good reason to take the Star Flyer to Amsterdam. Instead, I feel a better case could be made to do the Barcelona routing which has many scenic stops along the way.

I guess that I am weary of doing a long sail with no stops especially 22 days at sea then climbing aboard a freighter which will also not make any stops until at least Cleveland, Ohio. That seems like a lot of sea time and not much scenery. So, unless you might happen to know some wonderful aspects of the 22 day voyage on the Star Flyer to Amsterdam I might be better served doing the Barcelona route on the Royal Clipper while paying more for the privilege as it has some neat stops along the way.

Last May I enjoyed a 16 day boat ride on Blount's Grande Voyager through the canals and on to the Great Lakes. It was a wonderful trip. I guess I am spoiled now. But the sailing ships look very inviting.

Can anyone shed a bit of light on this decision.

Many thanks. I have truly enjoyed reading everyone's postings.

Made the decision to book on the Royal Clipper for the 13 April Transatlantic voyage from Barbados to Barcelona. So, forget the above posting. I decided to do the Royal Clipper because it has several scenic stops along the way. It should be a great trip.

Archived