Labadee snorkelling

kafraser78

This thread will be soon moved to the "Ports of Call" section, but I had the exact same question that I posted in that forum.

Although I have no responses, you got one, and it sounds good - we like to snorkel as well.

But, when I was looking at posts about Cabanas, I saw this picture: It sure looks like the snorkeling would be decent around the rocks in the foreground - I can't wait.

labadee05_zps9efe3240.png

It is ok. We used to snorkel where the cabanas are now. Saw some stuff but nothing like CocoCay. would not take my snorkel equipment to Labadee again, not worth lugging it along for what you see there

I have to disagree with that! I brought my gear and went off of the "beach" that parallels the zip line, and saw some unbelievable reefs and sea life. I was so into the swim, that I had gotten so far out that I caught the attention of a lifeguard in a kayak and was turned back to shore.

Yes, the cabana beach has less to see. Just a tip - watch out for sea urchins!

The beach area that parallels the zip line (toward the start of the zip) has a breakwater that was extended in the past few years. This made a calm area that has decent snorkelling. Be careful, however. If the tide is low, some of that area is very shallow. Got myself in one of those areas, and had a rough time getting back out without getting belly scraped or harming the marine life.

I posted this picture in the ports of call board. It was taken right by that picture posted above near the cabanas.

8059989592_744ca2eda6.jpg

This validates what DW said about Labadee compared to Coco Cay. In recent years Coco Cay has become quite dull underwater and most of the coral is worn and cruddy looking.

I did the snorkel boat excursion and had a great time. Lots of coral and fish. I don't think it was very expensive. Well, it was for the 2 families that let their kids use the rented underwater cameras and lost them. They were charged $200. I did suggest if they had insurance to put in a claim.

This validates what DW said about Labadee compared to Coco Cay. In recent years Coco Cay has become quite dull underwater and most of the coral is worn and cruddy looking.

Funny how everyone sees things different. We think CocoCay snorkeling is fantastic. Always see so many fish and different types of fish. Have seen huge groupers out there, last time saw 2 barracudas and the granddaddy stingray in addition to tons of different types of fish. The coral is not what you see if you go out on a boat to a reef, but I think it is still really nice especially if you go out on the far left by the opening b/t the beach and the island where the lifeguard sits now.

Does anyone know if you can get snorkel equipment on Labadee? We have a Cabana already paid for. And if you can get it, how much? And does anyone know if they have the 2x magnified for those of us who wear glasses normally?

Curious myself...

Mats and snorkel gear are included with the Cabana rental. I don't remember the details about the 2X magified question, but I would doubt it since they are more costly to make. If you are not renting Cabanas, you can also rent mats and snorkel gear by themselves.

Funny how everyone sees things different. We think CocoCay snorkeling is fantastic. Always see so many fish and different types of fish. Have seen huge groupers out there, last time saw 2 barracudas and the granddaddy stingray in addition to tons of different types of fish. The coral is not what you see if you go out on a boat to a reef, but I think it is still really nice especially if you go out on the far left by the opening b/t the beach and the island where the lifeguard sits now.

The fish have been as you describe. It is just the barren appearance. DW usually goes all the way out near the last lifeguard and gets yelled at for being too far out ;) We will be there Tuesday checking it out again!!! :D:D:D

We are going to Labadee on our Oct 28th sailing on the Freedom. I was hoping to snorkel there with our own equipment. Does anyone know if they will insist that we have a life vest on? It seems to me in my memory bank several years age hearing a customer arguing with a RCL employee about not having to wear a vest because he was scuba certified..?

We are going to Labadee on our Oct 28th sailing on the Freedom. I was hoping to snorkel there with our own equipment. Does anyone know if they will insist that we have a life vest on? It seems to me in my memory bank several years age hearing a customer arguing with a RCL employee about not having to wear a vest because he was scuba certified..?

I was on the cabana side and never even saw anybody with a vest. I used my own mask and nobody made me wear a vest.

• 5 weeks later...
The beach area that parallels the zip line (toward the start of the zip) has a breakwater that was extended in the past few years. This made a calm area that has decent snorkelling. Be careful, however. If the tide is low, some of that area is very shallow. Got myself in one of those areas, and had a rough time getting back out without getting belly scraped or harming the marine life.

Thank you for posting this. I almost gave up on the idea of snorkeling in Labadee and now I have hope...

According to a map that I am looking at, this should be Adrenaline beach, correct? If so, are there tiki huts or other shade and chairs available in Adrenaline beach - the map shows these in other areas but not in the area labeled "Adrenaline Beach."

Archived