Back from Voyager 5-15 Bermuda

There was one singer in the piano bar who seemed good and to have a good crowd going each night. The entertainment was good. The newlywed game and the Quest were hysterical. We also had fun at the trivia games. One was movie themes and the other TV themes. The cruise director was fantastic and really funny. I was on the Navigator last year and was really looking forward to the singer in the Pig & Whistle because the last guy was great. This one was much more mellow but he still had people singing along and dancing.

Was this the 5 day cruise to Bermuda and if so, how much time did you actually get to spend there? We have taken the Bermuda cruise for the last 8years. It's one of our favorite spots. We were thrilled when Empress of the Seas did the 8 night cruise last year because it gave us an extra day there. We were really disappointed to hear that they were changing the itinerary this year. Was it really worth going on the 5 day cruise to spend so little time in Bermuda? Emrpess was one of our favorite ships because it is smaller and more intimate than the Voyager class. That's not to say we don't enjoy Voyager either. We have been on several of those cruises as well and have another booked this November on Serenade. Again, just extremely disappointed over the 5 day Bermuda run.

Was this the 5 day cruise to Bermuda and if so, how much time did you actually get to spend there? We have taken the Bermuda cruise for the last 8years. It's one of our favorite spots. We were thrilled when Empress of the Seas did the 8 night cruise last year because it gave us an extra day there. We were really disappointed to hear that they were changing the itinerary this year. Was it really worth going on the 5 day cruise to spend so little time in Bermuda? Emrpess was one of our favorite ships because it is smaller and more intimate than the Voyager class. That's not to say we don't enjoy Voyager either. We have been on several of those cruises as well and have another booked this November on Serenade. Again, just extremely disappointed over the 5 day Bermuda run.

I think I read somewhere on here that the Empress will be sailing out of Philly next year to Bermuda.

Anyone confirm this?

Voyagerclassfan, I'm taking the Vos on sunday. What time did you board ship? Do you know what the earliest time that you can get on the ship is. We are driving to port and can go really early (my choice) but I don't want to make my dh cranky by making him wait too long before boarding. Did you do any of the ship excursions? What was your favorite thing to do in Bermuda? Thanks for keeping the ship warm for us :).

We arrived in Bermuda on Tuesday morning and left on Wednesday night around 6. I found there was not much to do in Kings Wharf but the high speed ferry and busses to St. George and Hamilton were great. We didnt go to horseshoe bay but friends of ours have and said it was the nicest beach they ever say. Embarkation and Disembarkation was great. We arrived at the pier at about 1pm and were onboard about 1:30. Now, some people say to park first and then take the shuttle or walk to the terminal but I think I may disagree. That is what we did and we found it would have been much easier if my DH dropped us and the bags off and then parked. But there was also no line of cars either. As far as Disembarkation, we were waiting in one of the designated areas and we had an orange tag. We are platinum and could have waited in a special lounge but decided to wait with our friends instead. I happen to go to the ladies room and realized that there were people with orange tags leaving the ship. So we walked down and they had just told that special lounge to leave so we were able to get off right away..at about 9:30ish or so. Bermuda was gorgeous. No one bothers you at all. Not even the cab drivers... Very clean.

Yes, this was the 5 night Bermuda cruise. We arrived in Bermuda at about 7am on Tuesday morning and left on Wednesday night at 6pm. The boat was docked in Kings Wharf the entire time and you could come and go as much as you like that entire time. You needed to take a bus or Ferry to get to Hamilton about (10 minutes by the high speed ferry) or St. Georges (about 45 minutes away). Not much in Kings Wharf but it was a gorgeous island.

I honestly think that alot depends on how many times you have cruised. If it is your first cruise or even first on a Voyager Class Ship, you are going to love it. It was my 3rd in this class so I noticed a few things others may not. The crowds were fine, not bad at all. Elevators are always a problem. Food was good. My husband loved the filet although I missed the lobster and Beef Wellington...but that is just being nit picky. Our first Voyager Class was the Navigator and that was the newest at the time so I think I did miss on this one, the more variety in the Windjammer. But again, unless you have done it before, you wouldnt notice it. Overall it was a great cruise. Our cruise director was wonderful and very funny. Service lacked a little in one of the stores. I saw a sweatshirt in the display that I really liked and wanted to buy and the guy was pretty rude when I asked about it. Cabin steward was great, waiter was great. I must say that I wished we had an atrium view room instead of a balcony. But that is just a personal choice. I am a people watcher and really liked it last time we had it. We missed the ice show because we wanted to watch our Bermuda sail away but heard it was fantastic and from past ones we have gone to, I am sure it was. The main shows were ok. I loved the second one but the 1st one was a bit odd for me. But again, just my taste. It was neat because I am an American Idol fan and one of the contestants, AJ from first season was one of the entertainers. There were 2 comedians onboard. The first one was funny but the 2nd one was hysterical. I am sure there will be different ones when you go. I was disappointed by Johnny Rockets. We always enjoyed going there on our past ones and only went once this time but they were out of onion rings and that was our favorite part. Like I said, small things that maybe some others wouldnt notice. We love cruising and will be sailing again.

Voaygerclassfan: thanks so much for all the information!! Were they searching your bags/belongings when you left the ship in port? I know they search when you come back on, just wondering.

Nope, no searching the bags on the way out. And we actually found the security quite lax. Now, I am not criticizing it or anything, just making a note. Whenever we sailed from Miami, they checked us like crazy and there were boat cops all over the place. This time it was really quiet.

What was your favorite thing to do in Bermuda? Thanks for keeping the ship warm for us :).

If you are interested, I posted a bunch of things to do in Bermuda under the thread Live from VOS to Bermuda" - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=178301

I've been there many times and know the island as well as my home town :)

Hi Pablo-so since you have been there, you know exactly what to do and where to go. I would have liked it if we had made port in St. Georges or Hamilton or even stayed one more day. But the 5 nights was perfect for us. You are going to love the Voyager Class ship.

• 2 weeks later...
Nope, no searching the bags on the way out. And we actually found the security quite lax. Now, I am not criticizing it or anything, just making a note. Whenever we sailed from Miami, they checked us like crazy and there were boat cops all over the place. This time it was really quiet.

Hi - We're going in July - thanks for all the great info - the high speed ferry - are you sure its only 10 minutes, and how much is it? My mom gets seasick standing still, we were going to take the buses, but the ferry would be SOOOO much easier, if it was very short. I read where some of the ferries are 30, 40 minutes - she could handle 10.

Can you bring water, your own beverages on board? I see many posts were people say they can, and apparently RCI doesn't bother you if its something they don't sell on board, but I drink a ton of water, and I'd like to bring some with me.

How was room service in the morning? Were they timely?

Also, what's the story with travel irons?

Thanks for all your great help,

Jeanne:)

( My mom gets seasick standing still, we were going to take the buses, but the ferry would be SOOOO much easier, if it was very short. I read where some of the ferries are 30, 40 minutes - she could handle 10.

I got VERY sick on ferry ride in Cozumel a couple years ago, even though I rarely get motion sickness. Before the trip back, I took a bonine (meclazine) and had no problems. Not sure if your Mom can take this, but it may help.

how did the ship "ride" from NJ to Bermuda? Did you encounter any rough seas? We were on the Empress of the Seas years ago and it was rough crossing the gulf stream. We'd like to take the grandkids next summer but they won't be able to handle the rocking.

also, any opinions on Voyager vs. Freedom for 4 families? Voyager would be somewhat cheaper (we're paying for everyone) but would we really be missing out if we didn't book Freedom in '06? (The kids have only been on one other cruise - Enchantment W. Carib. in '03.)

Thanks for the info Voyagerclassfan, great review.

I have a couple of questions for you.

Can you tell me how was the weather in Bermuda? Was it really warm enough both days to swim? Did you have to keep a light jacket on during the day. We're thinking about going 5-14-06 but was a alittle skeptical due to the weather not being warm enough. Did you encounter rough waters sailing out of Bayonne? Where do you get the ferry to go into Hamilton and how long does it take to get there and does the ferry let you off in the shopping district? One last question, did you happen to come across any private tour guides or companies at the pier?

Did you happen to notice if there were any older teens on this sailing? We'll be traveling with a 16 yr old and an 18 yrd old. Just wondering if there were an older teens on board due to most schools not being totally out at this time? My teens are wondering if they will be the only teens on board and have limited amounts of fun with the real older older crowd?

On the 5 day to Bermuda, will there be a formal night?? Just wondering for when I start the packing list.

It seems like Bayonne is a breeze...that will be a change from the Happy Happy NY terminal. I have to agree with another poster, Miami is tough to disembark..lots of security. NY, surprisingly very easy. We just gave our immigration form to the security person and off we went. Much much different from Miami.

This will be our second time on the Voyager, we love her too!

Voyagerclassfan;

You say that you arrived to Bermuda on Tuesday. Could you please tell me what time you were allowed to start getting off the ship on Tuesday. We have an excursion planned for 10:00 am on Tuesday when we arrive in November on the Voyager of the Seas out of Bayonne. Do you think we will have a problem with being off the ship by that time?

Voyagerclassfan;

You say that you arrived to Bermuda on Tuesday. Could you please tell me what time you were allowed to start getting off the ship on Tuesday. We have an excursion planned for 10:00 am on Tuesday when we arrive in November on the Voyager of the Seas out of Bayonne. Do you think we will have a problem with being off the ship by that time?

Optifire--I am doing the same cruise in 2 weeks--we also have a 10 Am excursion in Hamilton. From what I have seen from the ferry schedule (from the ship to Hamilton), the first one leaves around 8, so I think you would be able to get off the Voyager by then. Still have plenty of time before the excursion leaves.

My family and I are going on the VOS 5 day Bermuda in August. This will be our first Voyager class ship and our first trip to Bermuda, so any info is welcome.

In addition,

Which night is formal night?

I've heard the crossing is rough, is this true?

How long does it take in a cab or bus to get from King's Warf to the better part of the island?

Where do you find the pink sand beaches?

Being our first time on the Voyager, is there anything we should do or shouldn't do?

Thanks for your input. I'm sure we'll have a great time :D

Archived