Help-Big Island Weather Next Week

gambler

We are doing a land trip to the Big Island from 5/27 to 6/4. Just looked at weather.com and it looks like 60% change of rain most of the week. Does it usually rain all day? or just a certain part of the day? What is there to do in doors? Thanks

Helen

Here on the East side of the Big Island, we would be very thankful for 15 minutes of rain!! It has been very hot and dry for the last month or so...we are seriously missing our nightly showers. Catchment tanks are running dry and my garden is suffering. We really want our daily showers back!!!

It also depends where you will be on the Big Island. In Hilo (windward), you will likely encounter some rain, but as Spleen says, it's often short lived; I believe the average yearly rainfall in Hilo is over 100 inches. In Kona/Kohala (leeward side), you may have very little (if any in Kohala-- I think the average is about 10 or 12 inches per year on most of the Kohala coast).

Another note, the rains at this time of year are usually refreshing, rather than "just" wet (if that makes sense). An afternoon or evening shower (not downpour) is a delightful thing in Hawaii, IMO. It can make some of the roads difficult and hiking can be a challenge, but I find the rain to be pleasant (at leasts in summer, fall, and late spring). We did encounter a big Kona storm one December, but even then it was beautiful. The water was too churned up for snorkeling and safe swimming, but we had a great time anyway. And we certainly didn't let even a heavy rain prevent us from exploring where we could.

beachchick

Yes, the long range NWS forecast for the Big Island indicates a more moist pattern than recently. Let me quote the NWS discussion of the current long-term forecast: "this [low pressure area] could provide the necessary trigger for some heavy showers...mainly over leeward portions of maui and the big island. Expect showers to cover less area than under normal trade wind flow...but the showers that do form will likely be heavier than most trade wind showers. ."

If I was going to the Big Island and saw this forecast I wouldn't be too concerned. It sounds like this activity will be more spotty, albeit with heavier showers where it does rain. The nice thing about the Big Island is that it's big. If you've got a big shower at Kailua you will likely find sunny skies at Waikaloa or somewhere else. Besides, even when it rains it's WARM.

Q: why is it green in Hawaii?

A: because it rains.

Archived