Tips for Great Stirrup Cay

cosmo1027

Getting back to the real message on this thread.

Is the tender disembarkation at GCS any worse than any other tender disembarkation on any other ship?

Getting 2000pax on and off a ship through one exit is always a problem. why don't they use more tenders/ lifeboats to match demand.

According to this thread, it seems to cast a cloud over the trip for some people.

Mind you, I suppose I should know better....... "an uninhabited paradise island" isn't quite the same when you are sharing it with your 2000+ shipmates.

( mind you If I don't chill out in the queue, I may be getting left there on my own, what a "privilege" that would be!!!!;) )

Cosmo, what are Farleys, Fraleys? I haven't heard the phrase before ?

A little late for the OP, but for others reading this, I’ll put in my 2 cents, having been to GSC four times now. It has a lot to offer, but there can be crowds and lines, which I try to avoid whenever possible on vacation. Instead of joining the stampede for early tenders, we enjoy a leisurely morning on board, maybe with a spa appointment for me, and eat an early lunch there (also uncrowded). I don’t fancy the lines for barbecue, trying to find a place to sit while carrying all my stuff plus a plate of food, and the flies once I start eating—all for hotdogs and hamburgers. I would prefer a nice seafood salad anyway. Then (this all assumes you have a full day at GSC—won’t work if the ship leaves early as it does on some itineraries) we head over to the island around noon or 1 pm. The early birds are already heading back to the ship by this time, so finding an umbrella and chair on the beach is easy, and we settle back to listen to the live band. We’ve made it a goal several times to be on the LAST tender back!

I also recommend the shady, grassy area with the hammocks, benches, and picnic tables for great people-watching. We walked the trail away from the beach one time, too, which was pleasant.

As some posters have said, go over and take a look. If you don’t like it you can just come back to the ship. Like me, you may also enjoy the bouncy, breezy ride on the tender with wide views of the island and the ship as you go.

If i only have a mask and snorkling tube, do i need the flippers in order to snorkle? i understand that NCL will provide the vest. just wondering if i should buy flippers or just leave my stuff at home and pay for the excursion from NCL.

thanks.

For fam4vac...

You do not "need" flippers to snorkel...but they sure do make getting around in the water a lot easier...they help you swim like a fish! I have my own mask, snorkel tube AND flippers. I chose not to take the flippers on our cruises because they are big, bulky & heavy...and I don't like to add that to all our luggage. So, I spend the $10 rental fee with NCL and get flippers on the Private Island. You can't do this through the pre-booking process on-line. You have to wait and do it either on the ship at the Shore Excursion desk or on Great Stirrup Cay. Their flippers come in all sizes, so you should be able to find some to fit you O.K. The "vests" are no charge.

Debjo

thanks for the reply. Good idea, i'll just bring my mask & tube and rent the flippers if i have to. I was looking at jeannap's pictures and noticed that in a beach pic there were a couple of people snorkling (DSC_0096), http://community.webshots.com/photo/358369556/359893138BntRWt

Were there fish there? so close to the shore? that would be awesome.

If you were to use that photo as reference, where would you recommend for snorkling?

thanks again.

Can someone post the rental fee for the floater? I think someone mentioned it come in 2 different size? Do they charge the rental fee to your room or do you need to pay in cash? Is fishing allowed on the private island?

For fam4vac...

Using the picture you suggested for "reference"...you'd have to continue out of that picture on the left hand side of the photo into deeper water to see the fish. If you notice the rocky breakwater...anywhere near the rocks is where the fish tend to congregate...especially if the water is rough. When the water is calmer, the fish tend to be everywhere.

I've "attached" one of my pictures to give you a better idea (perhaps) of the "view" from the beach chairs looking out into the water. There is a lifeguard stationed on top of the rocks. To the left (and out of my picture) is another big rock...that is where we saw most of the fish.

There will be "snorkel tours" conducted by some of the ship's "Dive-In" staff. If you can get into one of those groups, you'll be assured of seeing LOTS of fish...the staff feed them and they swarm around! I was able to tag along with one of the "tour" groups long after I was in the water. You just need to keep your eyes and ears open for when they head out...I never saw any notices posted of "tour" times. Perhaps you could check with the rental hut personnel when you pick-up your swim fins. By the way the "tour" is "free"!

Debjo

1924346992_2005DAWNGSCBreakwaterLifeGdsHPIM2359.JPG.06b956ec656923752ba70d44dbaa3e9a.JPG

For MasterLee...

We didn't rent any of the floats, but I checked a picture that I had taken during our Shore Excursion "talk" (from the slide show presentation) and the information that was given read, "Beach Mat Rentals $10.00 All Day" and "Party Raft Rental $20.00 All Day". I think the Beach Mats are the rectangular yellow one-person floats, and that Party Rafts are the big circular floats for many people. Perhaps someone who has rented these can more appropriately respond.

Debjo

For MasterLee...

"Beach Mat Rentals $10.00 All Day" and "Party Raft Rental $20.00 All Day". I think the Beach Mats are the rectangular yellow one-person floats, and that Party Rafts are the big circular floats for many people. Perhaps someone who has rented these can more appropriately respond.

Debjo

We just got back. I didn't rent one, this is what we saw at GSC.

Thanks again for all the good tips! It was very helpful and we had a wonderful time at GSC!

The beach mats were a flat foamed mat that floated and it was long so that you could stretch out on it and float around while sunbathing. We rented 3 and my daughter was on hers all day just floating and sunbathing. But I don't recall what the rafts were like.

Archived