Help, Family of 5 Ocho Rios

cruisinquestions

We are a family of 5, kids' ages are 5, 8 and 11. I have no idea what to do in Ocho Rios. I know the Falls are a biggy, but I doubt that would be much fun for a 5 year old. I assume too hard for her? Would love to do river tubing, but I believe somewhere I read the age limit is 6, anyone know of that to be true? And so what now? I am so clueless as to what to see or do. Are there any kid friendly excursions out there I've missed? Thanks so much for any ideas.

Jules

I would email Peat Taylor, a great tour provider in Ocho Rios, and ask him for ideas. He will be honest in what he thinks is a good idea for your 5-year old.

My son climbed the falls when he was just shy of 8 and loved it. He has always been adventurous! The water is deep in spots and runs fast though. I don't think I would have been comfortable taking a 5-year old up the falls, but then I chickened out about half way and used one of the exits from the falls to the stairs!

Peat's info is - onieltay@hotmail.com

http://www.peattaylor.com

Peat took us to Dunn's River Falls, Wassi pottery factory, Fern Gully, etc.

We were just there with our kids (10 & 12). We used Marva Shaw at knowjamaica.com for a private tour. She and her son were great with our kids. The best thing I liked was the flexibility in accommodating everyone. The Falls were worth seeing, but not everyone in the family loved climbing. Marva was there waiting for us to leave as soon as we were ready, so that we didn't have to wait for a large group. The kids also enjoyed our tour of the Wassi Art pottery factory - I think even a five year old could enjoy that.

Please let me know what you end up doing! (Or accepting advice from others!) I will be there in December with my DH and 2 DD's aged 6 and 9. My kids are small for their age so I think the falls are out. We also don't want to be hounded all day by the pushy locals. I think this would frighten my kids. Help!

kendallison, I would just repeat my recommendation above about Marva with knowjamaica.com. I also shared some of your concerns being there with two kids. We were very comfortable with her. She was good with the kids and very flexible with us. My son ended up not feeling too well that day and we could cut things short or keep going as we felt. We definitely felt that a private driver was the way to go. We got a nice tour by someone who knew the island well and did not have to worry about where we might end up or anything else.

kendallison, I would just repeat my recommendation above about Marva with knowjamaica.com. I also shared some of your concerns being there with two kids. We were very comfortable with her. She was good with the kids and very flexible with us. My son ended up not feeling too well that day and we could cut things short or keep going as we felt. We definitely felt that a private driver was the way to go. We got a nice tour by someone who knew the island well and did not have to worry about where we might end up or anything else.

Thanks!

Archived