Oxygen Information Needed

JLT

Because of a torn meniscus I will be renting a scooter for my cruise on the Carnival Freedom over Thanksgiving to help me get around the ship and to be able to go ashore occasionally. I am very grateful for all the advice and information I have read on the boards. Since a bout with pneumonia in August I now need O2 during the night. I borrowed a smaller (but not much) concentrator for a weekend trip and can borrow it again but it was so noisy that I couldn't sleep. Companies I contacted said they had Ultraquiet or Whisperquiet concentrators and I wonder just how quiet these are. There will be others in the cabin with me and I don't want to disturb them. I evidently can't use a POC because they deliver continuous O2 for only a couple hours. One company says they can be plugged in and I wonder if they would be quieter. I keep my concentrator in the living room at home with the bedroom about 24 feet away. Any advice or comments will be welcome.

Hi Jean -

I'm a little confused on the fact that you indicated you cannot use a POC since they only deliver oxygen for a few hours. A POC (portable oxygen concentrator) is a full-time use system. They provide the flow via pulse or continuous flow settings (depending on the unit).

My DH uses a Respironics Evergo (pulse only) for daytime "out-and-about" use. We have a Sequel Eclipse for continuous flow for night time (bedroom) use (and the big "monster" that is on the first floor for daytime home use ;)).

I'm a horrible sleeper, but have adjusted to the Sequel Eclipse. It's a bit louder than an in-room A/C window unit (at least our window unit); however, since it can be like that, it's a bit like a "white noise" type of machine. (Then again, our bedroom is VERY small - as in there is just enough room to walk around the bed - no more space than that).

If possible, you should see if you can find a place local to you that has a model you can see (and hear) to determine what your personal threshold is for any type of noise levels since determining what "loud" is to one person (or your traveling companions) is really hard.

Also, the vent systems for A/C on the ships do generate a fair amount of noise themselves, so it might not really be much more sound for you or your companions than you may think.

Happy Cruising!

Heidi

Thanks for your comments. One of the rental companies told me that a POC would only last 2.5 hrs on continuous flow. I will talk to my oxygen supplier on Monday. I just heard from the delivery person that they do have POC's to loan.

Jean,

On my last trip, I used Sequal Eclipse, which runs on AC / DC power or batteries. I had the same concerns you have about noise in that my monster at home is very noisy. The Eclipse was not bad at all, sort of like the hum of a refrigerator. The supplier provided me 25 ft tubing (adequate for almost place in the cabin) and I have a 9 ft extension cord. Plus the ship provided an extension cord with a power strip which made it easy to plug in both the scooter and POC. As long as you use a type that plugs in, you should be OK.

Because I have to haul the POC, my luggage any anything else I may take along on my scooter, I contacted the supplier for a smaller unit. Because of my prescription, the Eclipse is the smallest unit they can provide. Like you, I have to sleep with oxygen; beyond that I do not know the particulars other than dosage. The unit is provided through the VA and I do not even know the cost.

For flights, only one airline made an issue of the number of batteries I was suppose to carry. Since my travel form signed by my doctor specifically indicated that I do not require oxygen while flying, that no longer was an issue.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

th_bigbiker.gif

Thanks for your comments. One of the rental companies told me that a POC would only last 2.5 hrs on continuous flow. I will talk to my oxygen supplier on Monday. I just heard from the delivery person that they do have POC's to loan.

Jean - They mean on battery life (DH's dose is the same). If you plug in, it's unlimited supply. My DH uses 2.5 lph on pulse with the Evergo and continuous flow in the cabin (day or night). Just plug and no problems.

We travel also with 25 feet of tubing and an extension cord and a power strip (so we can charge batteries via a desktop charger) and for the scooter, etc. Depending on the set up of the specific cabin, the extension cord can help you place the unit away (well, as away as possible on a ship ;)) from sleeping.

One note is that if you aren't going to move the unit around, you can duct tape the extension cord (or power cord) to the carpet so it lessens the trip hazard.

We've been lucky that where we can place his unit and chargers, we don't have that issue (only the standard hazard of his "leash" :D as we call it - since my eyesight is poor, I've solved it by wearing my glasses if I get up during the night LOL).

When you rent, be clear that you are taking the unit out of the country - I understand some places do not allow for that. We own, so we don't have the issue.

All I know, is we now enjoy cruising even more that DH can participate more again!

Heidi

My husband owns his own Sequal which lasts 'forever' when it's plugged in but possibly only 2.5 hours on battery.

Another option is to contract with a vendor such as carevacations.com or specialneedsatsea.com who will rent you 100# of liquid oxygen and a portable unit (or equipped with a valve to dispense oxygen to you all night long by supply hose and canula). Even though my husband brings his own sequal, we always rent a liquid ox supply for backup.

I use an Evergo POC for out & about and a stationary concentrator for home. For my upcoming cruise, I am renting a stationary concentrator (quieter model) from Special Needs at Sea. It only costs $317 for a 15 day cruise including the delivery & pickup from the ship. I find the POC much noisier than the stationary concentrator and you can't use a very long "leash" with it, so it would need to be right by your bed. Additionally, if you have to go to the bathroom at night, you will have to take it with you. With the stationary, you could get enough "leash" & an extension cord and put the concentrator in the closet. Just don't let any clothes or bags get up against the air vents. Liquid oxygen is also a good option, but it is not available at all ports. I am cruising from San Francisco, and it is not available there.

• 2 weeks later...

I certainly appreciate all the tips and suggestions: duct tape, extension cord, and putting the concentrator in the closet. Sorry to take so long to express my thanks for the practical help but life got in the way. Wish me luck on my first trip with medical needs.

Archived