What's The Truth About Zuiderdam?!

bcc99

What's your honest, balanced opinion of "Zuiderdam"?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. What's your honest, balanced opinion of "Zuiderdam"?

• Aces! I would sail her again anytime, anywhere!
    • She's not flawless, but still recommended.
    • Maybe I'd try her on another itinerary...
    • I'd prefer another HAL ship next time.
    • I'd prefer another cruise line next time.
    • I'd prefer "Titanic" next time.
    • I haven't sailed her but plan to.
    • No plans to sail her.

bcc99, I sailed the Z last November and I am the same age as you are. A large part of the reason I chose her was value, which is something I strongly factored into my review, check it out if you would like: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=100611

As for your concern with the crew and your age, I can honestly say you have nothing to be worried about. The crew, although they appeared overworked, were excellent and I certainly never felt ostracized because of my age. The population was very diverse in age. It was my experience that the nightlife wasn't great, things seemed to quiet down shortly after dinner (late seating). We visited the nightclub on a couple of evenings and found that some nights it was packed and others it was quiet. Our tablemates were all much more mature than us and they agreed.

I am strongly considering booking another cruise with HAL for 2006, either the Noordam or Maasdam. There is one thing I am certain of; a bad day cruising is better than a great day at work. It will be what you make of it, besides its vacation how bad can it be?

I'm more concerned about how I'll be received by HAL--not so much the crew, but the passengers. I'm 28, and I get the feeling that I'm not really welcome....BC99

Don't worry about the passengers. You read alot of stuff written by people who spend all day everyday on these boards sanctimoniously preaching to other people about the ships, how you should behave, what you should wear and bragging in every post about how many times they've sailed etc, etc, etc. It's just talk and I've found from personal experience after being on ships that those people who make themselves known to the staff and crew aren't really all that well received by the staff and crew.

I was on a cruise last year on one of HAL's ships and there are some people who post on boards about how well known they are and all the things they do onboard and their special relationships with the captain, etc. etc. I had a nice long talk with some of the staff and crew, and they just roll their eyes about those people.

..so don't pay them any mind and only believe half of what they say.

MOST passengers are regular everyday people who have worked hard and saved up for a nice cruise and they'll treat you just fine. MOST passengers are NOT snobbish and act like they're better than you, have more than you do, or look down on you...and they come in all age groups.

You'll have a wonderful time. I promise.;)

Thanks Sailure, that was a great response. I totally agree with everything you said. We are in our early 40's, going with a couple in their late 40's. We have saved and scrimped so that we could go on this cruise for our 20th anniversary. I can't relate at all to those who take 2 or 3 cruises a year. I'm jealous...but can't relate. ;) It's funny that when we went on a cruise for our honeymoon, one of the things I remember the most was when we went to the shows each night, it was the "older" generation that was trampling over us trying to get to the prime seating.

We leave for the Z in a little over a week and I am counting down the hours. Go on your cruise, smile at everyone and have a great time. Like someone said earlier, a bad day on a cruise is better than the best day at work any time! :D

Oh, paradisegal...I'd love to be turning 20 again, but unfortunately for me that 0 is actually a 9! I'm a lot closer to the next decade up (which I won't be mentioning by name :rolleyes: ).

I've pretty well worked through my angst about Zuiderdam now. After reading so many painful reviews from last fall, I think I had a mild panic attack last week when it looked like she was slipping back into her old ways. But if I was mildly panicked, I figured there had to be a few people experiencing severe panic but not saying so--hence the poll to let the court of public opinion make a ruling on this ship. Many love her, or at least they like her. I expected a stronger response from the "S-class is better than Vista" crowd, but it hasn't really materialized (perhaps the question doesn't dignify a response?). The real statistical surprise is the number of people who haven't been yet, but are planning to go...looks like there might be a good number of people monitoring the Zuiderdam debate with a personal interest! We may never be able to explain why so many people like her, while the folks who don't like her seem to despise her twice as loud...but in the end, it all comes down to personal outlook, preference, and expectations. I haven't been on a perfect ship yet, but I've never had a bad cruise, and I'm not expecting this one to be the first. :)

I've sailed the Zuiderdam twice on Caribbean iteneraries, and I thought that she was a beautiful ship. I personally do not prefer Caribbean or warm-weather cruises, but the ship was fine. The crew was nice and helpful, the food was great, and the cabin was great. I've heard that some of the cabins are small, but the Deluxe Veranda suites are superb. If you are going, the Odyssey restaurant is the best choice of dining, the food is much better than in the main dining room and it's worth the extra $.

I would recommend the Zuiderdam to anyone looking for a Caribbean cruise.

I'd sail aboard Zuiderdam in a heartbeat - especially now that HAL are taking her out of the Caribbean.

I understand that HAL have apparently resolved the vibration issues that plagued her in her first season, and I'm sure that refrigeration, A/C and plumbing issues happen on all ships from time to time...

In general, I feel that the Vista-Class can't be beat!

Vista-Class ships are the best of HAL's ships IMO, but I think that the Oosterdam and Westerdam's color schemes are much more elegant than the Zuiderdam. Zuiderdam is still a great ship.

Hi, thought I would share my two cents about our trip. My third cruise, DH's first. My first with HAL, two previous were about 10 yrs ago on RCCL. The goal was reached during this vacation. I came back relaxed and happy. It was a nice vacation and I have some fond memories.

Was it perfect? No it was not, but the crew made every effort, worked incredibly hard and was very friendly. I think this is what made it relaxing.

I think that you will enjoy yourself and not regret the choice you made. Just don't sit there looking for things to complain about. We had a couple like that at our table each night. The last couple of nights it was painful listening to them.

This will be our first HAL cruise, we have sailed RCCL twice and Princess once. I will never sail Princess again due to a bad Alaska crusie experience and service from the company. We decided to try HAL because of the reasonable cost for suites, we will only cruise with a balconey room, we booked the Zui's SS Cat for our 9/10/05 trip. I too have been an active reader of the boards, from our first cruise on Princess to last falls RCCL cruise, I have learned that there is some truth in every post, and not to judge my trip on the post but learn from the post. I also try to not let the posting create my expectations. My DW and I know what we like and book accordling. We'll let you all know on 9/18/05 of our impressions of HAL!

StevenA

You will love the SS suites and the ship......like I said earlier the Oosterdam and the Westerdam are more elegant from what I've seen than the Zuiderdam, but the Zui is a nice ship.

Happy Cruising:)

We are looking forward to our New Years Eve cruise on the Zuiderdam.

This will be our first with HAL and I'm already impressed. I understand that in the Pinnacle Grill Riedel Crystal stemware and Frette linens are used. Both Italian finery at its best. HAL did their homework on this. Being somewhat of a common-sewer of wine I drink from Riedel as do most of my vinicultured friends. I would only wish that HAL would add Frette to their bed linens alla Crystal Cruises. Did I mention the Bvlgari China? Nice touch HAL. Don't let me down.

I will tell you this, I am VERY PICKY! I complain about everything. It's nothing to brag but is the truth. I found I only complained once time in the 7 days I was on the Zuiderdamn... (2 actually) once was the long wait time on the first night when you called the information desk. the second was the "under the boardwalk show" I normally like shows like this but this one was beyond cheesy.

Oh and I hated it when my camera fogged up when I went outside on the balcony with it to take pics.. but I think that was beyond their control :p

So my conclusion and my Husbands was the it was GREAT because there was minimal complaning! :D

Archived