Cruise With Purpose: Viva The Kids - Nicaragua Excursion

pandlpa12

We are repeat :) HAL cruisers, but March 2013 is first time we will contemplate taking a Cruise With Purpose Collection Excursion. Specifically, we are seeking input from fellow cruisers (50+) who have taken the Viva The Kids: Bringing the Generation Together Excursion at the Betania Foundation in Nicaragua. However, comment from anyone who has experienced a HAL Cruise With Purpose excursion is also welcome. Gracias. pandlpa

Sorry I can't shed any light on your question, but I am glad you asked it. I wish they were offering this excursion on Amsterdam's upcoming Canal transit cruise. It is not listed on HAL's website as an option for Nicaragua on this particular itinerary, and it sounds much more interesting to me than any of the ones they do list. If it were available, I would be glad to tell you all about it!

There are no reviews of it on HAL's website, so maybe it's something they've added recently. I hope they'll add more excursions of this type, where cruisers can learn about the people of other countries, their living conditions, and their culture, and be provided with an opportunity to benefit them in some way during our visit.

Sorry I can't shed any light on your question, but I am glad you asked it. I wish they were offering this excursion on Amsterdam's upcoming Canal transit cruise. It is not listed on HAL's website as an option for Nicaragua on this particular itinerary, and it sounds much more interesting to me than any of the ones they do list. If it were available, I would be glad to tell you all about it!

There are no reviews of it on HAL's website, so maybe it's something they've added recently. I hope they'll add more excursions of this type, where cruisers can learn about the people of other countries, their living conditions, and their culture, and be provided with an opportunity to benefit them in some way during our visit.

If you go to Cruise Critic > Home > Features > Trendwatch >Travelers Embrace Cruise Voluntourism you will find an excellent article written by Amy Gunderson, updated by Carolyn Spencer Brown, Editor in Chief on this very topic. There are other well presented articles on other travel sites as well that describe and explain why this type of 'tourism' is gaining popularity world wide.

Several of our friends have embraced this type of experience in other parts of the world and have provided glowing reviews of friendships made, real tangible contributions and a definite desire to expand their philanthropic work.

Archived