How's the diving here?

nancyb715

• 2 weeks later...

I am an avid snorkeler and not a diver.

I have visited Antigua, several times for snorkeling excursions. However, Antigua is

NOT known for diving opportunities.

I checked some various websites, that rate the diving at the caribbean islands.

One of them, Scuba Advisor, commented about Antigua:

"Antigua is not known for its diving environment, mainly because the diving can not

compete with the impressive coral and fringing reefs, elswhere in the Caribbean."

Perhaps someone has a differing opinion about Antigua diving?

I would say you're on the money there Magnum. There are honestly better diving options in the Caribbean, including Dominica closeby. However, there are a couple of diving outfits in Antigua, at least one in Jolly Harbour area (Jolly Dive) and one in English Harbour area, don't remember the name

Well, I'll save my money and dive elsewhere, any suggestions on excursions in Antigua? We do alot of snorkeling also and we're also going to Barbados and Bonaire. What are you recommendations at those places?

We did a couple drift dives in Barbados 5 years ago and they were really nice, we had one turtle kinda tagging along with us from the distance. It was really cool, I wanna see more turtles!! Suggestions, please???

I have read that in Bonaire there are a couple dive shops close to port where you can rent a tank and shore dive. Any thoughts or comments about Bonaire?

Our last stop is Aruba, we dove there a couple years ago and wasn't impressed. But of course, it's so variable depending on where they take you, who the dive leader is, etc. We might try there again since we're not diving in Antigua if anyone has any good suggestions.

We leave in 20 days and I've not settled on any excursions yet....yikes!! I gotta get busy!

Thanks again for your replies and suggestions. :)

Archived